The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AzureCeleste
Just to clarify, if you are talking UCAT this year then it can only be used this admissions cycle, so you'd need to be 2021 entry or 2022 entry (deferred).
Timing is the hard part for everyone, but tbf 50% isn't actually that bad. You can google to see what score that would convert to out of 900

Thank you!
Reply 21
Original post by Laycity
There is lots of discussion and tips on this thread.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6282054&p=88129646&page=11#post88129646

If you are looking to go to med school in three years time there’s little point in doing the UCAT this year. It needs to be done in the year prior to actual entry. Also Bristol is a very UCAT heavy medical school and has one of the highest cut off scores.

Thank you! I emailed before and Bristol admission office suggests me to try to apply for 2021 entry in this year. It feels kinda weird but I will give it a try. Besides I don't have any other academic study to do at the moment lol.
Reply 22
Original post by entertainmyfaith
good luck!!

thankyou!
Reply 23
So I work on some VR again tonight, Ugh, I need at least 3 mins for a single test article.
I found it is super hard and time consuming to scan words in the article, made my understandings of the content and statements all mixed together.
Jesus.
Reply 24
Quick tips: Medify is great for timing and practice but I thought maybe they overscored a bit. Also try to use a desktop/PC if you have access to one as much as you can as that is what you will be taking the actual UCAT on and it's really different to a laptop, especially with the keypad calculator. Lastly, make use of the official UCAT website question bank as they are the closest in my opinion to the actual test, and some of the questions came up again in the real thing! Hope this helps
Reply 25
Original post by b1485r
Quick tips: Medify is great for timing and practice but I thought maybe they overscored a bit. Also try to use a desktop/PC if you have access to one as much as you can as that is what you will be taking the actual UCAT on and it's really different to a laptop, especially with the keypad calculator. Lastly, make use of the official UCAT website question bank as they are the closest in my opinion to the actual test, and some of the questions came up again in the real thing! Hope this helps

wow Thank you so much for the advice!
Reply 26
Alright, today I tried a QR which score is ok but time wasn't enough. Need to practice mental calculation.
VR feels a little better than first I saw it, emmm...maybe just a feeling.
Reply 27
Original post by YuanG
Alright, today I tried a QR which score is ok but time wasn't enough. Need to practice mental calculation.
VR feels a little better than first I saw it, emmm...maybe just a feeling.

Practice is the key to UCAT success! With more practice you’ll find the sections become better, good luck!
Original post by R1DANCJC
Medify is really good for improving your UCAT. I would work through that there are hundreds of questions.

Yeah I used Medify it was good but the only thing i would recommend is doing more practice on the STJ because on Medify they are a bit too kind for those kind of questions. I can’t complain though I have a medicine offer regardless of my average UCAT and i couldn’t have done it without Medify :smile:
Definitely recommend it too!
Reply 29
Original post by damsellinstress
Yeah I used Medify it was good but the only thing i would recommend is doing more practice on the STJ because on Medify they are a bit too kind for those kind of questions. I can’t complain though I have a medicine offer regardless of my average UCAT and i couldn’t have done it without Medify :smile:

I second this too, my SJT was let down badly two years ago, as medify put me into a false sense of security ahah
Reply 30
Original post by damsellinstress

Thank you for the advice! I will get medify mext month, definitely will practice STJ from other sources as well, goodnight
Reply 31
ok yesterday I did a few questions on every section. Still struggling I would say.
Today I quickly run through MSAG free videos (just realised they will expire tomorrow), make few notes about AR, this is definitely my weak point, and VR. Now I'm doing some AR questions I did few days ago to see if I can see the pattern this time. Don't know this will work or not but have to try.
For VR, I don't know other way except practicing more and more, I really hate this, time is not enough and when I check the answers, all of them seem reasonable but I just can't find them during the practice.
For other sections, I think I will start them from around next week, but still focus my time more on these two nasty tasks. Hope I will see some difference later on.
Reply 32
Original post by YuanG
Yesterday I did a few VR and AR again, and watched A LOT videos on Youtube about UCAT tips.
They did give me some thinkings, hopfully I can use them in my preparation.

Today is AR day, I finished all type1&2 questions on my 1250 UKCAT book, my improvement is not very observable so I definitely need to do those again (I didn't even do the timing! just tried to find the patterns).
Anyway, it is Sunday, I hope I can sleep for more than 6 hrs. My 10mths daughter usually awake every 4 hrs so I haven't had a long sleep in 10mths😪

A tip, the 1250 UCAT question book’s AR is much harder than the UCAT test itself!
Reply 33
Original post by S_x_x
A tip, the 1250 UCAT question book’s AR is much harder than the UCAT test itself!

That is a greeeat new to me!!! Thank you very much! I am really struggling about it and this is such a relief!
How do you feel about other sections if you don't mind me ask?
Reply 34
Original post by YuanG
That is a greeeat new to me!!! Thank you very much! I am really struggling about it and this is such a relief!
How do you feel about other sections if you don't mind me ask?

1250 UCAT book is HARDER on QR
1250 UCAT book is HARDER on AR
1250 UCAT book is THE SAME on VR
1250 UCAT book is THE SAME in DM, compared to the UCAT test
Reply 35
Original post by S_x_x
1250 UCAT book is HARDER on QR
1250 UCAT book is HARDER on AR
1250 UCAT book is THE SAME on VR
1250 UCAT book is THE SAME in DM, compared to the UCAT test

Thanks a lot!
Reply 36
hi guys. i have my ucat exam in 15 days and i’m still scoring around 600 in each section (but band 1 sjt).i’ve been preparing for a month and i need some reassurance that there’s still enough time for me to improve considerably. i also need some tips on dealing with time pressures in qr and ar.
Reply 37
Original post by jgyiamh
hi guys. i have my ucat exam in 15 days and i’m still scoring around 600 in each section (but band 1 sjt).i’ve been preparing for a month and i need some reassurance that there’s still enough time for me to improve considerably. i also need some tips on dealing with time pressures in qr and ar.

This thread is over a year old, you are better on the UCAT thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6864776
@becausethenight
Original post by GANFYD
This thread is over a year old, you are better on the UCAT thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6864776
@becausethenight

Thanks for the tag :heart:
Will close this and the other thread :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending