The Student Room Group

Is 30k salary at 24 years old good or average in today’s climate?

I’m currently earning 31k. I aim to be 45k by the time i’m 30 at least which is 2 ‘promotions’ away. I am just wondering if this is a standard wage
nowadays or if I’m doing better than most. I’m 25 this year and i’m very conscious of my progress

Scroll to see replies

It's a good salary for a 24 year old.
You are doing very well. Give yourself a pat on the back
Yes a very good salary for a 24, year old.
Reply 4
sick humblebrag bro
Reply 5
Original post by qold
I’m currently earning 31k. I aim to be 45k by the time i’m 30 at least which is 2 ‘promotions’ away. I am just wondering if this is a standard wage
nowadays or if I’m doing better than most. I’m 25 this year and i’m very conscious of my progress

A cursory Google would have easily told you it's above the UK average wage for everybody.

What more did you need to know?
Reply 6
Original post by qold

Today its excellent - you're young with a job. Today that's a lot better than many.

That said I made the same as that when I was the same age as you. That was over a decade ago.

By 30, back in 2014 I was on over £50k.

So they aren't so ambitious figures but good enough. Are you a uni grad?
Reply 7
Depends on who you are comparing against, surely? The UK average? Doctors? Engineers? The average 25y/o working in Worcestershire?

The UK average: yeah, you're doing great. Well done, pat on the back, etc.
Other people with a degree working in London in a field with high earnings potential: It would be considered very low.

Without knowing a bit about your background I don't think anyone can provide a suitable benchmark.
No, I think that is good, not average.
Reply 9
Original post by NX172
Depends on who you are comparing against, surely? The UK average? Doctors? Engineers? The average 25y/o working in Worcestershire?

The UK average: yeah, you're doing great. Well done, pat on the back, etc.
Other people with a degree working in London in a field with high earnings potential: It would be considered very low.

Without knowing a bit about your background I don't think anyone can provide a suitable benchmark.

working in IT in london.
I wonder why the U.K. pay so low... in America, the entry level salary for most industries pay £50,000 and beyond!!
Original post by qold
I’m 25 this year and i’m very conscious of my progress

"Progress" towards what, exactly?
Reply 12
Original post by Profesh
"Progress" towards what, exactly?

higher positions, more money, investments
Original post by qold
higher positions, more money, investments

For what purpose?
Reply 14
Original post by qold
working in IT in london.

Ah, ouch. OK not so good then. London is horribily expensive compared to the rest of the country. When I was on your wage at the same age in 2009 I was living in Warrington. £425/month for a one bed house with lounge to myself.
Original post by claineldn
I wonder why the U.K. pay so low... in America, the entry level salary for most industries pay £50,000 and beyond!!

£50,000, or $50,000?
That's beyond average, dude! :yep: you've done well for yourself, let's put it that way!
Original post by Drewski
£50,000, or $50,000?

£50,000 equivalent to nearly $70,000 in USD. America pays really well!

(X) Doubt

For entry level?
Bull.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending