The Student Room Group

A Level Computer Science

Hi. Can I get some useful tips for A Level computer science? How is it as a subject in terms of difficulty level? Is it only theory based or are there any projects or stuff? Also, what's this "pre-release materials"?
I am doing the Cambridge International a levels board computer science. The theory's easy to understand if you get what is told there. Programming is something I struggle with ,however,my classmates find it easy . Compartitvely,theory is easier . I would say it's a 7.5 in difficulty level(but that's just my opinion). It's mostly theoretical and programming rather than actual projects .
Hi there i am in year 12 and doing computer science (following the OCR exam board). So far it has not been that difficult for me, the only part that at first glance threw me off was karnaugh maps and the binary with manitssa and exponents. In terms of programming, if you are good at logic and reasoning then you should not find it difficult although fluency comes with practice...

If you are in year 11 then i suggest reading around logic and problem solving as well as doing an online programming language course to get yourself familiar with programming constructs.
Original post by bakeshenanigans
I am doing the Cambridge International a levels board computer science. The theory's easy to understand if you get what is told there. Programming is something I struggle with ,however,my classmates find it easy . Compartitvely,theory is easier . I would say it's a 7.5 in difficulty level(but that's just my opinion). It's mostly theoretical and programming rather than actual projects .

Thanks. Can you tell me if there is pre release material for A Level too? If yes, what is it about?
Reply 4
Original post by Knightrises10
Thanks. Can you tell me if there is pre release material for A Level too? If yes, what is it about?

If you're at a UK state school you won't be taking exams with CAIE as it is an international exam board.

Computer Science with an exam board in England will all be 20% assessed by non-examination assessment (i.e. coursework) and the rest assessed by an exams. I think AQA's has some information you are given before an on-computer exam (i.e. pre-release information) so you can prepare some thoughts before you see the question on the paper. Not sure about OCR. YOu can find out more about AQA's specification, including past papers here: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/computer-science-and-it/as-and-a-level/computer-science-7516-7517/introduction
Original post by Knightrises10

what kind of pre release materials do you mean ? :smile:
Original post by bakeshenanigans
what kind of pre release materials do you mean ? :smile:

I think they are on about pre release material for on screen exams such as the ones AQA CS candidates have to familiarise themselves with before their onscreen exam.
Reply 7
Hey I’m currently doing CAIE cs and struggling ... do you mind helping me out ?
Reply 8
I'm doing A Level OCR Computer Science by distance learning.

There is a practical component in the form of a project. I think it counts for 20% of the full mark.

Also there are programming tasks to perform throughout the course.

I have found that I needed to learn coding myself by signing up for another online course. In my case I chose to learn Python but I've also learned a smattering of HTML, CSS, JavaScript PHP and mySQL. All are useful. Python for general coding and the others to allow website construction.

Quick Reply

Latest