The Student Room Group

kpop is absolute trash and cannot be supported

this is a bit of a rant about how awful kpop, from a south korean person who used to like kpop (it was pretty much forced upon me haha) who KNOWS what being a kpop fan is like. k pop is such a trashy industry and sucks 100% and there is no changing my mind about it.

1. it literally fosters so much hate against people who dont like k pop and fans are overly toxic about their idols. they literally say amen to everything their idols say (bUT NoT aLL FaNs ARe LiKE ThaT - ummm yeah they literally are, i haven't met a single kpop fan who i've LEARNT likes kpop, its like the first thing they talk about and shove down your throat). and dont get me started on people who constantly ask "but whyyyyyy dont you like kpop" and find reasons for you to start liking it. no means no godammit.

2. fans overly sexualise idols. its gross, its distgusting. i dont care if you do it privately (fanfic), i dont care if your way younger than the idol, its lowkey abuse that you're writing and saying overly sexual stuff about someone who doesn't know about it (especially if they're young!!) there's also a huge demand from distgusting hormonal teens to show kpop idols (usually guys) overly exposing themselves and looking sexy when you are fully aware that the company who dresses them doesn't give one about if the idols are happy with it etc. they literally only care for the money and will do anything to the idols if it gets them more veiws.

3. kpop idols are treated extremelyyyyyy poorly by their companies AND YOU ALL KNOW IT but still kpop fans are okay with saying "its so sad that they get treated so badly poor things :frown:" and then go and stream all of their music videos, contributing to companies who abuse them, make them work little for long hours, dont give them choices about their own lifestyle etc. the minimum wage in south korea is something like £14k when i was there last, your idols will NOT starve and die if they stop being idols! and there is plently you can do! sign petitions, raid comment sections and twitters about their quality of life, but nah thats too much work, most kpop fans just want to listen to their idols and fantasise about happy idols.

4. kpop has always been a racist industry and you all know it. RM literally says the n word and speaks in a "blaccent", a girl group did blackface and plentyyyy of groups culturally appropriate (AND NO IT IS NOT CULTURAL APPRECIATION AS THEY DONT LEARN SQUAT ABOUT THE CULTURES AS THEY WOULD'VE TOLD US THEY DID) kpop is the face of kbeauty and constantly pushes unattainable beauty standards on young people. the average korean is not milkwhite (i'm not, im definitly tan). kpop stars who are tan or biracial are bullied but people still push it under the rug because they "said sorry" or were "joking around".

5. its also a big deal that the rise of kpop means that there are more and more non-korean girls who want a "cute korean guy" and they are desparateeeee about it. korean guys are just humans, man, its upsetting that there are girls out there who just care for their race and not personality. it sounds like when incels used to say they "just want a cute japanese girl" and when white conquerers wanted an "exotic oriental bride". this looks like a bad case of yellow fever and i'm not here for it.

Scroll to see replies

yikeys. maybe you should start campainging and stuff then. i dont even like kpop, but genuininely though do you rechon there are like no decent fans? like none at all?idk man seems like a stretch
"kpop idols are treated extremelyyyyyy poorly by their companies AND YOU ALL KNOW IT but still kpop fans are okay with saying "its so sad that they get treated so badly poor things " and then go and stream all of their music videos, contributing to companies who abuse them, make them work little for long hours, dont give them choices about their own lifestyle etc. the minimum wage in south korea is something like £14k when i was there last, your idols will NOT starve and die if they stop being idols! and there is plently you can do! sign petitions, raid comment sections and twitters about their quality of life, but nah thats too much work, most kpop fans just want to listen to their idols and fantasise about happy idols".
okay yeah i get this but you cant say the music is bad right come on they come out with such good music that is one of the things that attracted me into k pop but i respect your decision
Reply 3
i think we can all agree that the majority of kpop fans are bat**** crazy. the music isnt terrible, just a lot of the fans
Original post by Toscana
i think we can all agree that the majority of kpop fans are bat**** crazy. the music isnt terrible, just a lot of the fans

yh i am into k pop but y the music is great its just the fans toxic fans, saseangs ect
Reply 5
lmao, you don't know what abuse is. they make millions, and they're free to leave and get a regular job at any time.
Reply 6
sounds like you have an issue with the industry and fans rather than the music itself. ur first sentence is misleading
Reply 7
they absolutely ARENT free to leave. u are seriously misguided lmao. they sign waivers (IN THE ABSENCE OF THEIR PARENTS EVEN AS MINORS) agreeing to recording contracts and labels, but for a set amount of time, they are not allowed to leave in this time! they are only allowed to even visit family at specific times the company lets them. and who told you they make millions???? yeah they might make a lot of money but is it enough to justify the amount of work and lack to good treatment? no. you are seriously misguided about how the whole industry works if you think this is justifiable, even for a moment.

Original post by Ciel.
lmao, you don't know what abuse is. they make millions, and they're free to leave and get a regular job at any time.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
they absolutely ARENT free to leave. u are seriously misguided lmao. they sign waivers (IN THE ABSENCE OF THEIR PARENTS EVEN AS MINORS) agreeing to recording contracts and labels, but for a set amount of time, they are not allowed to leave in this time! they are only allowed to even visit family at specific times the company lets them. and who told you they make millions???? yeah they might make a lot of money but is it enough to justify the amount of work and lack to good treatment? no. you are seriously misguided about how the whole industry works if you think this is justifiable, even for a moment.

you don't know **** about the law. minors can enter into a contract, sure. but such contracts can be challenged, the law assumes a minor can't understand the implications of a contract. also, if they're adults, yes they can still leave - if they're prepared to kiss goodbye to some of their millions. because, they do make millions. their lives are much more comfortable than an average person's life. pick someone else to feel sorry for. you sound like a toxic fan yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by Ciel.
you don't know **** about the law. minors can enter into a contract, sure. but such contracts can be challenged, the law assumes a minor can't understand the implications of a contract. also, if they're adults, yes they can still leave - if they're prepared to kiss goodbye to some of their millions. because, they do make millions. their lives are much more comfortable than an average person's life. pick someone else to feel sorry for. you sound like a toxic fan yourself.

Didn't mean to bug in but I don't think your words are good especially the "you sound like a toxic fan yourself" part. You can hate Kpop but I agree that even tho they are minors they can't get out of a contract just by will. a formal contract is binding and even if they are willing it's not an easy thing to do. This also involved their dream as a singer and an idol and some fans might get hurt if you stamped all of them are toxic. Even so, I do agree to some of your statements and do respect your way of thinking but I still suggest you to look deeper into Kpop idol's life and how it worked before stating a comment that may misguide other people.
Reply 10
Original post by Lexi_jn
Didn't mean to bug in but I don't think your words are good especially the "you sound like a toxic fan yourself" part. You can hate Kpop but I agree that even tho they are minors they can't get out of a contract just by will. a formal contract is binding and even if they are willing it's not an easy thing to do. This also involved their dream as a singer and an idol and some fans might get hurt if you stamped all of them are toxic. Even so, I do agree to some of your statements and do respect your way of thinking but I still suggest you to look deeper into Kpop idol's life and how it worked before stating a comment that may misguide other people.

i don't hate kpop, i think kpop bands are cute. just not really something i listen to every single day. i know what "slave contracts" are, but they knew what they were getting themselves into. fame has a price. you either accept it or you don't.
Original post by Ciel.

"the upper 1% of Korean singers earned 2.6 million USD averagely in 2015, and the upper 10% of them earned 510,000 USD averagely in the year."

"an average rookie K-pop idol group earns about USD$4000 per show (more if overseas), which is then broken down to a 90%:10% split between the company and the artist."

are you really prepared to just quote how much the TOP 1% makes??? are you crazy??? what about the rookies?what about the bottom 10%? are you going to talk about them?

"Majority of Kpop Stars live in constant financial struggle or making just enough to survive since again" quoted from quora by a LONG TIME KPOP FAN who has done extensive research on the topic.

Also about the contracts, did i say it was illegal for minors to enter contracts? no, i didnt. i think its extremely unethical for minors to enter contracts that are in any way legally binding. and to think that these minors (are their parents) will actually challenge contracts against such big companies, it is simply not viable, they do not have a choice. and even if the law does protect minors in any way or form, will that be employed when the situation is that these companies have such high control over the lives, financial circumstances of the kids? i'm not arguing that the kpop industry is illegal, im arguing that it is unethical in the highest degree.

you arent a fan of these people that you say you love. they aren't "idols", (which literally means "a representation of a god you worship" by the way), they are people, most of the time they are just kids and the image of them that you as happy, successful people doesnt exist, man.

anyway, im dont arguing you, the "facts" you try to give me consistently have no basis or truth and you seem like the type that stands by the same opinion despite a million things against it. grow up. you seem like the type of girl whose sole point of conversation is their "uniqueness" and "quirkeyness". i'm unwatching this thread, i will literally not see anything else you post, bye.
Reply 12
"the upper 1% of Korean singers earned 2.6 million USD averagely in 2015, and the upper 10% of them earned 510,000 USD averagely in the year."

"an average rookie K-pop idol group earns about USD$4000 per show (more if overseas), which is then broken down to a 90%:10% split between the company and the artist."

are you really prepared to just quote how much the TOP 1% makes??? are you crazy??? what about the rookies?what about the bottom 10%? are you going to talk about them?

"Majority of Kpop Stars live in constant financial struggle or making just enough to survive since again" quoted from quora by a LONG TIME KPOP FAN who has done extensive research on the topic.

Also about the contracts, did i say it was illegal for minors to enter contracts? no, i didnt. i think its extremely unethical for minors to enter contracts that are in any way legally binding. and to think that these minors (are their parents) will actually challenge contracts against such big companies, it is simply not viable, they do not have a choice. and even if the law does protect minors in any way or form, will that be employed when the situation is that these companies have such high control over the lives, financial circumstances of the kids? i'm not arguing that the kpop industry is illegal, im arguing that it is unethical in the highest degree.

you arent a fan of these people that you say you love. they aren't "idols", (which literally means "a representation of a god you worship" by the way), they are people, most of the time they are just kids and the image of them that you as happy, successful people doesnt exist, man.

anyway, im dont arguing you, the "facts" you try to give me consistently have no basis or truth and you seem like the type that stands by the same opinion despite a million things against it. grow up. you seem like the type of girl whose sole point of conversation is their "uniqueness" and "quirkeyness". i'm unwatching this thread, i will literally not see anything else you post, bye.

oh, please. you can't use a random kpop fan as a source for kpop stars earnings. they don't have access to their bank accounts. and i'm not a "fangirl", i'm a gay man who isn't even a massive fan of kpop... like, i said, kpop stars don't have to chase their dreams. nobody is forcing them to. do you think other artists (like painters, illustrators) have it any easier? or writers? they don't make a lot of money, either. and they often work just as hard.
Original post by Ciel.
i don't hate kpop, i think kpop bands are cute. just not really something i listen to every single day. i know what "slave contracts" are, but they knew what they were getting themselves into. fame has a price. you either accept it or you don't.

"they knew what they were getting themselves into" whattttttt. i thought we agreed most of them were minor and therefore dont know what they are getting themselves into. "fame has a price. you either accept it or you dont" boiiiiii. if a skydiver decides to skydive, the nhs still has to treat him if the gets hurt while skydiving, y'know. if we as a society decide to condemn people for decisions they make, and dont give them support to get them out of the messes they've created, it sounds like the beginnings of a society full of deppressed, unhappy people
Reply 14
"they knew what they were getting themselves into" whattttttt. i thought we agreed most of them were minor and therefore dont know what they are getting themselves into. "fame has a price. you either accept it or you dont" boiiiiii. if a skydiver decides to skydive, the nhs still has to treat him if the gets hurt while skydiving, y'know. if we as a society decide to condemn people for decisions they make, and dont give them support to get them out of the messes they've created, it sounds like the beginnings of a society full of deppressed, unhappy people

minors can get out of contracts more easily. but most of them don't want to because they're passionate about what they do.
Original post by Ciel.
oh, please. you can't use a random kpop fan as a source for kpop stars earnings. they don't have access to their bank accounts. and i'm not a "fangirl", i'm a gay man who isn't even a massive fan of kpop... like, i said, kpop stars don't have to chase their dreams. nobody is forcing them to. do you think other artists (like painters, illustrators) have it any easier? or writers? they don't make a lot of money, either. and they often work just as hard.

"nobody is forcing them to" i thought we said that they are being forced!!!!!!!!!! do you have access to their bank account? at this point maybe its getting a tad embarassing for you and you should stop :redface:
I'm quite ambivalent towards k-pop, I don't really mind it, I have a couple of songs from bts etc etc on my playlists but didn't go into it any further than that. Personally I've never understood how people can knowingly continue to support the industry whilst at least acknowledging the awful conditions and regulations that hold them in place. Not allowed to date whilst within the group, controlled on what they eat, have to be a certain weight, have to look and act a certain style for the camera and media, forced to go on world tours yet receive minimal amounts of the profit raised, not even allowed to go outside without asking for permission in case you're meeting someone in secret. Your conglomerate company essentially owns you and your identity, and whilst k pop fans may 'stan' whatever personality they have to put on externally I'm extremely concerned for their genuine mental health. Given three major k pop idols committed suicide in the last three months of 2019, and these are only of the ones that actually 'made it', if you can call it that, it seems like such a toxic and awful industry. It's like if it was suddenly revealed that disney was forcing all its actors to continuously perform in only marvel films and nothing else, to continuously smile and promote their characters and the films even outside of shooting and all the profits from the films were given to the ceos and the actors are barely paid at all but forced to continue. Like sure, the films they'd be producing would still be great, but I couldn't and wouldn't continue to support that industry if that's how it was treating the people I respected and looked up to. I recognise I don't know a great deal about the community, but from what I've always seen people always seem to be extremely big stans and whilst I'm sure there are many very nice people in the community it's always the people that shout the loudest you see first, and unfortunately it appears there are a lot of toxic die hard fans who seem to be perfectly okay with how their idols are being treated. Just my two cents, please don't murder me

NB: if you are interested in seeing some of k pop life, here are some videos:

(haven't watched this last one, but this addresses my figure of the three suicides committed end of last year. I just remember seeing it on the news.)
Reply 17
Original post by spitfireee
"nobody is forcing them to" i thought we said that they are being forced!!!!!!!!!! do you have access to their bank account? at this point maybe its getting a tad embarassing for you and you should stop :redface:

you are the one making ridiculous claims without backing them up, so you should provide evidence for them.
Reply 18
Original post by LadySnowhawk
I'm quite ambivalent towards k-pop, I don't really mind it, I have a couple of songs from bts etc etc on my playlists but didn't go into it any further than that. Personally I've never understood how people can knowingly continue to support the industry whilst at least acknowledging the awful conditions and regulations that hold them in place. Not allowed to date whilst within the group, controlled on what they eat, have to be a certain weight, have to look and act a certain style for the camera and media, forced to go on world tours yet receive minimal amounts of the profit raised, not even allowed to go outside without asking for permission in case you're meeting someone in secret. Your conglomerate company essentially owns you and your identity, and whilst k pop fans may 'stan' whatever personality they have to put on externally I'm extremely concerned for their genuine mental health. Given three major k pop idols committed suicide in the last three months of 2019, and these are only of the ones that actually 'made it', if you can call it that, it seems like such a toxic and awful industry. It's like if it was suddenly revealed that disney was forcing all its actors to continuously perform in only marvel films and nothing else, to continuously smile and promote their characters and the films even outside of shooting and all the profits from the films were given to the ceos and the actors are barely paid at all but forced to continue. Like sure, the films they'd be producing would still be great, but I couldn't and wouldn't continue to support that industry if that's how it was treating the people I respected and looked up to. I recognise I don't know a great deal about the community, but from what I've always seen people always seem to be extremely big stans and whilst I'm sure there are many very nice people in the community it's always the people that shout the loudest you see first, and unfortunately it appears there are a lot of toxic die hard fans who seem to be perfectly okay with how their idols are being treated. Just my two cents, please don't murder me

(haven't watched this last one, but this addresses my figure of the three suicides committed end of last year. I just remember seeing it on the news.)

it's still a choice. other artists have it rough, too. hell, factory workers often commit suicide too, because they're sick of doing their repetitive, low paid job. i'm not saying the industry is perfect, but the world of work sucks for most people.
Original post by LadySnowhawk

okay so i have watched this its only like the small companies who push their idols because they are not that well known so they need the money just look at big hit. the company was so little and no one knew what it was but one group of 7 boys bring billions of pounds into the company i mean that when bts were getting started big hit put them on strict diets and pushed themselves to the limit now bts is unstoppable so its the small companies that push them and definitely yg entertainment push their idols they are so racist to foreign trainees like look at lisa form blackpink she was not allowed to speak anything but korean and she did not even know korean so thats why i absolutely hate yg entertainment. but the rest of k pop is fine its just yg entertainment

Latest