The Student Room Group

Chemistry or economics alevel?

Im going to take biology and maths and put down chemistry but I'm worried it will be too difficult.If anyone takes either what are your opinions and what would you advise me take. I know for econ at uni you only need maths so Im ok on that front I just dont know if it will be more interesting and also slightly easier than chem ? :smile:
Original post by Lucy98654
Im going to take biology and maths and put down chemistry but I'm worried it will be too difficult.If anyone takes either what are your opinions and what would you advise me take. I know for econ at uni you only need maths so Im ok on that front I just dont know if it will be more interesting and also slightly easier than chem ? :smile:

Hi!

I take Chemistry A-Level so I can only speak for that. Also, I am in year 12, so hopefully someone who is in year 13 or at university can give you more advice!

In regards to your current options, both subjects are well-suited. If you take Biology, Chemistry and Maths, you are keeping more doors open for yourself. If you have a change of heart, you could even go into Medicine or a Science route as usually you will need two Sciences.

A-Level Chemistry is a difficult subject but like all A-Levels if you keep on top of your work and ask for help whenever you don't understand something straight away, you will be absolutely fine!

If you are still confused, how about you take all 4 subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics) and drop the one later you are finding more difficult or take it as an AS?

If you have anymore questions about Chemistry, either PM me or mention me in this thread and I will give you more information.
If you want some examples on what A-Level Chemistry consists of, I can screenshot a few pages of the textbook and send it to you.

Perhaps, look for past papers on both subjects and see how they look (beware, Chemistry may look intimidating at first, but it is not that bad!)

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi!

I take Chemistry A-Level so I can only speak for that. Also, I am in year 12, so hopefully someone who is in year 13 or at university can give you more advice!

In regards to your current options, both subjects are well-suited. If you take Biology, Chemistry and Maths, you are keeping more doors open for yourself. If you have a change of heart, you could even go into Medicine or a Science route as usually you will need two Sciences.

A-Level Chemistry is a difficult subject but like all A-Levels if you keep on top of your work and ask for help whenever you don't understand something straight away, you will be absolutely fine!

If you are still confused, how about you take all 4 subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics) and drop the one later you are finding more difficult or take it as an AS?

If you have anymore questions about Chemistry, either PM me or mention me in this thread and I will give you more information.
If you want some examples on what A-Level Chemistry consists of, I can screenshot a few pages of the textbook and send it to you.

Perhaps, look for past papers on both subjects and see how they look (beware, Chemistry may look intimidating at first, but it is not that bad!)

Good luck!

Thank you so much !!! What other alevels do you take? Also, is alevel chem interesting also do you have any tips of what to do to prepare now like what are common topic areas that appear in year 12 so i can look into them now thank you again. Also when you were at school how many hours a night would you spend on chemistry/each subject in general ? :smile:
Thank you so much !!! What other alevels do you take? Also, is alevel chem interesting also do you have any tips of what to do to prepare now like what are common topic areas that appear in year 12 so i can look into them now thank you again. Also when you were at school how many hours a night would you spend on chemistry/each subject in general ? :smile:

No problem! I take Chemistry, Physics and Psychology. I personally find A-Level Chemistry really interesting and fun, although sometimes Organic Chemistry makes me cry, hehe.

Right now, I would brush up all your GCSE knowledge and once you are finished with that, you can take a look at the content page of AS and A-Level Chemistry that I will attach in my next post. Are you doing AQA?

My teacher usually recommended that for every hour we were in her lesson we should be doing an hour outside the lesson. So we had 5 hours of lesson time, so we should be doing 5 hours outside the lesson!

A few topic that overlap are:
- Balancing equations/half equations
- Formulas (Moles = Mass/Mr and PV = nRT)
- Types of bonding

Hi @Lucy98654!

If you want to take Econ at University then I strongly recommend you take it at A-Level as this will help a lot in your application and in your personal statement along with getting accepted. However, ultimately take what you believe you will perform best in.

I hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 5

im in year 13 and take both Econ and chem. Gotta say that its manageable and that Econ is in fact a very good subject that not only benefits your education but the way the world works.
Reply 6
Original post by great0
im in year 13 and take both Econ and chem. Gotta say that its manageable and that Econ is in fact a very good subject that not only benefits your education but the way the world works.

Which do you prefer more econ or chem.Also is chem as bad as people make it out to be?
Reply 7
Which do you prefer more econ or chem.Also is chem as bad as people make it out to be?

tbh I like them equally, but if I were to study more in depth, would definitely be Econ. Chem in AS is fairly simple, just going over GCSE chemistry but in more depth. A2 isn't that bad, since you are learning new stuff but with the knowledge of AS. Definitely not as bad as what people say.

Quick Reply