The Student Room Group

Opinions on Bath Spa (and UEA!) creative writing course pls!

I've been deliberating for ages about a creative writing degree and would just love to hear any feedback from anyone currently on either of these courses... I love the fact that Bath Spa is entirely creative writing as a degree, (reading is great, but I'd prefer to give more time to creative writing than essays honestly) but I'm aware that UEA is higher in the ratings so it'd be super helpful if any current (or recently graduated) students could say what they have found positive/negative about their course!

Just... is the teaching good? Have you felt like it is worth it? Are you enjoying the course? How much freedom is there with what you write? Any positives or negatives you can think of!

Cheers everyone 👍
Reply 1
Original post by Clodia7
I've been deliberating for ages about a creative writing degree and would just love to hear any feedback from anyone currently on either of these courses... I love the fact that Bath Spa is entirely creative writing as a degree, (reading is great, but I'd prefer to give more time to creative writing than essays honestly) but I'm aware that UEA is higher in the ratings so it'd be super helpful if any current (or recently graduated) students could say what they have found positive/negative about their course!

Just... is the teaching good? Have you felt like it is worth it? Are you enjoying the course? How much freedom is there with what you write? Any positives or negatives you can think of!

Cheers everyone 👍

Hey Clodia! I've visited both unis but for different courses (I was checking out Songwriting at Bath Spa back in 2016 and the Creative Writing MA at UEA in January of this year), so I can't give you too much advice on the courses themselves, but having read your post? It absolutely sounds like you've got your heart set more on Bath Spa if the only thing UEA has going for it is the rankings. Rankings aren't everything -- you have to consider that they change every single year and can sometimes dip or rise by tens of places. What matters first and foremost is that the course interests you and catches your attention, and that the campus feels like the right place for you. <3
Reply 2
Original post by octo
Hey Clodia! I've visited both unis but for different courses (I was checking out Songwriting at Bath Spa back in 2016 and the Creative Writing MA at UEA in January of this year), so I can't give you too much advice on the courses themselves, but having read your post? It absolutely sounds like you've got your heart set more on Bath Spa if the only thing UEA has going for it is the rankings. Rankings aren't everything -- you have to consider that they change every single year and can sometimes dip or rise by tens of places. What matters first and foremost is that the course interests you and catches your attention, and that the campus feels like the right place for you. <3

Thank you so much for this response! I do definitely have my heart set on doing a larger amount of creative writing... which bath seems to offer more. I haven't ever visited bath though, whereas I did really love the UEA campus/Norwich when I visited there a while back. Did you like bath as a place/the bath spa campus when you visited? And did Bath seem to have good lecturers/ creative writing staff? (I just think enthusiastic staff for this sort of course can make a huge difference... the best I've seen so far have been lancaster, but I don't think I'll end up going there just because that course involves exams which I would definitely prefer to avoid!) (My memory is awful!) I think you're absolutely right about it mattering most if it is the right place for an individual though... thank you! :smile:
UEA is awesome, I don't know about Bath Spa though. But, I can definitely recommend UEA to you but, go with whatever you think feels right :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by CAB18022
UEA is awesome, I don't know about Bath Spa though. But, I can definitely recommend UEA to you but, go with whatever you think feels right :smile:

It does look really good! Did you study english lit/creative writing there at all? I really love everything about UEA apart from the fact it is only 1/3 creative writing... I'd prefer it to be at least 50/50 ideally. Thank you so much for your reply! :smile:
Original post by Clodia7
It does look really good! Did you study english lit/creative writing there at all? I really love everything about UEA apart from the fact it is only 1/3 creative writing... I'd prefer it to be at least 50/50 ideally. Thank you so much for your reply! :smile:

I don;t study it but, I do know a few friends who do and they're enjoying it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by CAB18022
I don;t study it but, I do know a few friends who do and they're enjoying it :smile:

That sounds hopeful then! I'm glad they're having a good time! Thank you 👍
Reply 7
Original post by Clodia7
Thank you so much for this response! I do definitely have my heart set on doing a larger amount of creative writing... which bath seems to offer more. I haven't ever visited bath though, whereas I did really love the UEA campus/Norwich when I visited there a while back. Did you like bath as a place/the bath spa campus when you visited? And did Bath seem to have good lecturers/ creative writing staff? (I just think enthusiastic staff for this sort of course can make a huge difference... the best I've seen so far have been lancaster, but I don't think I'll end up going there just because that course involves exams which I would definitely prefer to avoid!) (My memory is awful!) I think you're absolutely right about it mattering most if it is the right place for an individual though... thank you! :smile:

From what I can remember, it was a really modern and fresh feeling campus! It'sbeen a long while, so I'm sorry for being vague -- but the music facilities were very very swanky, and the buildings seemed up to date. The music and songwriting staff were very confident and enthusiastic about their subjects, too. The bus links seemed good between the campus and the city centre, too, which was great. I'd definitely recommend visiting at some point -- even if open days aren't happening for a long time, most unis will let you walk around their campuses at any time on any day, and when classes reopen you might be able to meet the staff in 1-on-1 consultations or even sit in on a seminar if you're lucky!
Reply 8
Original post by octo
From what I can remember, it was a really modern and fresh feeling campus! It'sbeen a long while, so I'm sorry for being vague -- but the music facilities were very very swanky, and the buildings seemed up to date. The music and songwriting staff were very confident and enthusiastic about their subjects, too. The bus links seemed good between the campus and the city centre, too, which was great. I'd definitely recommend visiting at some point -- even if open days aren't happening for a long time, most unis will let you walk around their campuses at any time on any day, and when classes reopen you might be able to meet the staff in 1-on-1 consultations or even sit in on a seminar if you're lucky!

That's rly helpful thank you! I think I'll definitely aim to have a look around at some point...(when all the craziness has passed!) 😊 thank u!
What did you go for in the end??
Reply 10
Original post by Freckles5
What did you go for in the end??

I've decided to go next year bc of coronovirus and... honestly am still not entirely sure! Love the amount of writing in the Bath Spa course but UEA has some great modules too and I wonder if I'd miss studying the variety of books that you get in a part Eng Lit course if I chose the Bath one... if you've got any thoughts/have been to either all opinions are appreciated!
Did they let you defer? I think UEA is more renowned for writing but I have friends who went to Bath and loved it. I applied there for script writing but they cancelled the course this year. Bath is beautiful and close to Bristol which is a great city. I think both very experienced in creative writing so I think good choice either way. I would personally go for UEA if location was no issue.
Reply 12
I didn't actually get around to applying this year... I'd left it a bit last minute! So I didn't defer. I know UEA is definitely better in a reputation sense... I just wish that they had at least a 50/50 split between English Lit and Creative Writing, but they don't. It's a shame they cancelled your scriptwriting course! Where are you planning to go now? Was it just that particular course that tempted you to Bath rather than UEA in the first place? I'm glad your friends enjoyed it!
Yeah the 50/50 split is great and I think also in some ways, rightly or wrongly a more "respectable " degree. I looked at Bath because I knew it was a nice place to go from friends who had been there and I live nearby so wouldn’t need to move. I also thought about a 50/50 and haven’t totally put idea to bed. If Bath did a part time for that I’d keep it on my list but I can’t manage a full time. I’ve applied to Lancaster (distance), Bristol, OU and Birkbeck but haven’t had all results beck yet. I hate the wait!
Reply 14
Original post by Freckles5
Yeah the 50/50 split is great and I think also in some ways, rightly or wrongly a more "respectable " degree. I looked at Bath because I knew it was a nice place to go from friends who had been there and I live nearby so wouldn’t need to move. I also thought about a 50/50 and haven’t totally put idea to bed. If Bath did a part time for that I’d keep it on my list but I can’t manage a full time. I’ve applied to Lancaster (distance), Bristol, OU and Birkbeck but haven’t had all results beck yet. I hate the wait!

Ooh good luck! Hope it all goes well for you! I really loved Lancaster's course when I visited - the lecturers were super passionate about everything. (The only reason that is off my list is because I do want to move to a new place (after 5 years working in the same city) and Lancaster didn't really seem like an ideal place for me personally (and, I didn't want to have to study three subjects for the first year, as it seemed a bit like A-levels all over again). Which are you hoping to get? They all sound like good options for distance courses... I wasn't even aware that Bath and Bristol did distance learning like that tbh!
Aww that’s nice to hear about Lancaster, I really liked the tutors when I met them online. Bristol and Bath don’t do distance but I can travel to both of them easily, same with Birkbeck. If you’re moving I think that really counts in choosing. Bath is lovely.
Reply 16
I just googled Lancaster's long distance course out of nosiness and... is it an MA you're doing next then? (I can't see a BA) And yeah- all the staff I've met there have been great! I'm glad Bath is lovely! I've never visited there before- though I know Bristol is a beautiful city. (And, just going back to what you said earlier... I am aware that UEA is probably seen as a more Respectable degree... though it somewhat annoys me that it has to be like that! (Though that is still one of my reasons for being tempted towards UEA.) But, given that I know I want to do a masters afterwards, even if I went to Bath for my degree, I could always shift somewhere else for the next stage 😊) And thanks for all your feedback!
Original post by Clodia7
I just googled Lancaster's long distance course out of nosiness and... is it an MA you're doing next then? (I can't see a BA) And yeah- all the staff I've met there have been great! I'm glad Bath is lovely! I've never visited there before- though I know Bristol is a beautiful city. (And, just going back to what you said earlier... I am aware that UEA is probably seen as a more Respectable degree... though it somewhat annoys me that it has to be like that! (Though that is still one of my reasons for being tempted towards UEA.) But, given that I know I want to do a masters afterwards, even if I went to Bath for my degree, I could always shift somewhere else for the next stage 😊) And thanks for all your feedback!

Ah yes it’s a Masters for me! Yes that’s very true, I’m going to a different uni for my Masters. But you might love Bath so much you wanna stay! They do some great Masters at UEA so you could do Bath them UEA! X
Reply 18
I just realised I knew replied to this, so just want to say before I disappear from here... good luck w your masters decisions! (I feel like it's a strange time to be deciding anything like this, but a long-distance course makes sense more than ever!) Hope you find a course you love! (And yes... I would love to go to both somehow, sometime! We'll see what happens!) x
Original post by Clodia7
I just realised I knew replied to this, so just want to say before I disappear from here... good luck w your masters decisions! (I feel like it's a strange time to be deciding anything like this, but a long-distance course makes sense more than ever!) Hope you find a course you love! (And yes... I would love to go to both somehow, sometime! We'll see what happens!) x

Thank you! Strange times indeed! Good luck with all your decisions too!! X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending