The Student Room Group

Help with Specific Situation

Hi guys here’s my situation:
- I live with my mother and her boyfriend.
- He’s not my father.
- He’s lived with us since June 2019.
- He has a job.

To apply for maximum student finance for Sept 2020 I need to give household income for April 2018 to April 2019. As mentioned my mother’s boyfriend didn’t join the household until June. What do I do?

- Does my mother give her household income as if she’s a single parent?
- Does he count as my father because he lives with us?
- If yes, he has contributed no income to the household in the tax year SFE are asking for (April 2018 to April 2019) so what would I do? Put his income as zero?

It’s all a bit confusing. Help please!
I don’t want to be given too much loan!
Original post by SweetCheeks18
Hi guys here’s my situation:
- I live with my mother and her boyfriend.
- He’s not my father.
- He’s lived with us since June 2019.
- He has a job.

To apply for maximum student finance for Sept 2020 I need to give household income for April 2018 to April 2019. As mentioned my mother’s boyfriend didn’t join the household until June. What do I do?

- Does my mother give her household income as if she’s a single parent?
- Does he count as my father because he lives with us?
- If yes, he has contributed no income to the household in the tax year SFE are asking for (April 2018 to April 2019) so what would I do? Put his income as zero?

It’s all a bit confusing. Help please!
I don’t want to be given too much loan!

Hi

Your mum must state she has a partner and her partner must input his 2018/19 financial tax year information even if he never supported you. If she puts single then it would be fraud. SFE do audits so it’s important to input the correct details. I know it’s frustrating if he’s never supported you and if you don’t really know him but his details are required.
Original post by murpo
Hi

Your mum must state she has a partner and her partner must input his 2018/19 financial tax year information even if he never supported you. If she puts single then it would be fraud. SFE do audits so it’s important to input the correct details. I know it’s frustrating if he’s never supported you and if you don’t really know him but his details are required.

Thanks for your reply.

So what financial info do I provide since he joined the family in June 2019? They’re asking for his info from April 2018 to April 2018 when household income was only provided by my mother.
(edited 3 years ago)
Should also add that June 2019 was when he got a job, before this he was unemployed - including the tax period SFE are asking fo.
Thanks for your reply.

So what financial info do I provide since he joined the family in June 2019? They’re asking for his info from April 2018 to April 2018 when household income was only provided by my mother.

Should also add that June 2019 was when he got a job, before this he was unemployed - including the tax period SFE are asking fo.

Good morning, we need his 2018/19 tax year financial information, if he was unemployed then he should state his income was £0. We will check this with the tax office so if there are any discrepancies then we may request physical evidence.

If you have any further queries, please let us know :smile:

Thanks, Isaac.
Original post by SFE Isaac
Good morning, we need his 2018/19 tax year financial information, if he was unemployed then he should state his income was £0. We will check this with the tax office so if there are any discrepancies then we may request physical evidence.

If you have any further queries, please let us know :smile:

Thanks, Isaac.

Thank you so much!

Can you provide some examples of what evidence they might ask for so I can get him to start looking?

EDIT: turns out he has an SFE account but he is locked out of it because he doesn’t know the password, and no longer uses the email address or phone number attached to the account (the account is from years back). Could one of the SFE team please PM message me to get this reset? (We can’t call at the moment)
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you so much!

Can you provide some examples of what evidence they might ask for so I can get him to start looking?

EDIT: turns out he has an SFE account but he is locked out of it because he doesn’t know the password, and no longer uses the email address or phone number attached to the account (the account is from years back). Could one of the SFE team please PM message me to get this reset? (We can’t call at the moment)

Good morning, we can't reset accounts over TSR/Facebook or Twitter - he will need to call us on 0300 100 0607 to reset this.

The physical evidence that could be required would all depend on if he earned any income. He could get a statement of earnings from the tax office as that shows all income earned over the years and we accept this as evidence.
Thanks, Isaac.
Hello again,

If only my mother wants to give financial information and not her partner, is it true I will no longer be entitled to the maximum amount of maintenance possible? Do both ‘parents’ need to state their income for me to receive as much as possible?
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello again,

If only my mother wants to give financial information and not her partner, is it true I will no longer be entitled to the maximum amount of maintenance possible? Do both ‘parents’ need to state their income for me to receive as much as possible?

You will only be entitled to the basic funding if he doesn't provide his details.
Thanks, Isaac.
Original post by murpo
Hi

Hi @SFE Isaac & @murpo,

I just found out that for year 2018/19 my mum was getting 25% council tax discount for single occupancy (which makes sense as she was single until June 2019), however that isn’t the case now and she pays full council tax. Are you sure that I can’t put my mother down as single as she was during that time? I really don’t want to make my mum commit fraud but this whole system is flawed and isn’t made easy for families whose parents haven’t been married for years!

Obviously when applying for finance next year I will be including his details.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi @SFE Isaac & @murpo,

I just found out that for year 2018/19 my mum was getting 25% council tax discount for single occupancy (which makes sense as she was single until June 2019), however that isn’t the case now and she pays full council tax. Are you sure that I can’t put my mother down as single as she was during that time? I really don’t want to make my mum commit fraud but this whole system is flawed and isn’t made easy for families whose parents haven’t been married for years!

Obviously when applying for finance next year I will be including his details.

We do require his details even if your mum was single in the 2018/19 tax year. Your mum should not be stating she is single.
Thanks, Isaac.
Due to having a messy family (lol) I am unable to apply for the maintenance loan using my 2018/19 household income. I now can’t apply for unis that require me to move away which is really upsetting and unfair as household income has absolutely nothing to do with me.

When is the earliest possible chance I can submit and be means assessed by my household income for 2019/20, without using a CYI form? (Because I can’t use one unless it’s due to an income drop which isn’t my case)

@SFE Isaac
Due to having a messy family (lol) I am unable to apply for the maintenance loan using my 2018/19 household income. I now can’t apply for unis that require me to move away which is really upsetting and unfair as household income has absolutely nothing to do with me.

When is the earliest possible chance I can submit and be means assessed by my household income for 2019/20, without using a CYI form? (Because I can’t use one unless it’s due to an income drop which isn’t my case)

@SFE Isaac

Hi, I hope your having a lovely day. We use the 19/20 tax year income for the 21/22 academic year.
Thanks, Isaac.
Hi @SFE Isaac more help needed here please :redface:

My ADIF was rejected due to the following reason:
“The countersignature is unacceptable due to their occupation”
The person I got to sign works in recruitment for the metropolitan police service so I thought that would be okay.

From the list of occupations SFE provide, there’s no one working those jobs that has known me for 2+ years.

What do I do now?
Hi @SFE Isaac more help needed here please :redface:

My ADIF was rejected due to the following reason:
“The countersignature is unacceptable due to their occupation”
The person I got to sign works in recruitment for the metropolitan police service so I thought that would be okay.

From the list of occupations SFE provide, there’s no one working those jobs that has known me for 2+ years.

What do I do now?

Hi there, someone who works in recruitment won't be an actual police office and therefore unacceptable. For UK Nationals we only accept valid UK passport details or the original birth certificate with the form. You will need to find someone who can complete the form or provide valid passport details.
Thanks, Isaac.
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, someone who works in recruitment won't be an actual police office and therefore unacceptable. For UK Nationals we only accept valid UK passport details or the original birth certificate with the form. You will need to find someone who can complete the form or provide valid passport details.
Thanks, Isaac.

With COVID-19 going on, I’m not in the position to spend money on a new passport. I also have no one to sign my birth certificate form.

Am I now unable to apply for student finance? :frown:
With COVID-19 going on, I’m not in the position to spend money on a new passport. I also have no one to sign my birth certificate form.

Am I now unable to apply for student finance? :frown:

Unfortunately you are unable to apply if you are unable to provide valid ID. There are no exceptions for UK Nationals. If you ask your GP to complete it then it would be accepted, a GP may charge though.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest