The Student Room Group

Santander card closed ( cifas fraud marker)

Hi guys I’m 17 years old currently in college, a few months back I was naive enough to add one of those frauds on snap which at that time I didn’t know about because it seemed genuine and said it was legit and risk free so I thought why now, so the lady messaged me and asked if I wanted to make money and I said yeah then I asked where the money is coming from and she said she has business accounts with a lot of money so they are looking for cards to release funds into
We then agreed to meet up for her to take my card but her cousin showed up instead and I gave him my card
The process took a few weeks and this whole time I would have researched about this to know what I was getting myself into but I was too oblivious
The money was released into my account which was £2000 and the guy managed to take out £1300
A few days later my card got blocked with £700 left in it and he had said to ring the bank to unlock it so he could do the second drop but they needed the back number which I didn’t know
He didn’t speak to me for weeks
Then two days ago I got a letter from Santander saying they were withdrawing my banking facilities and my card will be closed in 30 days
So I just thought okay I’ll just open with a different bank so I tried Natwest and all the other cash apps but I got declined
So I then googled to see what’s going on and it came to my realisation that I may have been registered on cifas with a fraud marker for first degree fraud which lasts for 6 years
I was out of words as I had no clue about this

I could not sleep or eat I had an anxiety attack the whole night and I was shaking, it just didn’t feel real, the next morning I decided to text my cousin and let her know what had happened so she could tell my mum and aunt bc I wasn’t gonna do it myself
Everyone was shocked and angry bc they didn’t understand why I needed it, which to be fair I didn’t but luckily they all calmed down and decided I’ll use my aunt’s card for my wages until I’m 24!!!
I can’t even get car insurance or student finance when I get to uni
I feel like all my dreams have been crushed and my life plans have been ruined bc I had planned to go uni get a car next year and live an independent life which I can’t anymore
I feel guilty, stressed, confused, anxious and depressed, even contemplating death at this point

But my main worry is I’m not sure banks will still allow me to open an account after my six year sentence as I’m not trusted anymore
And what’s worse it I’m going to be 24 with no credit score!!
I’m thinking of working in care for the rest of my sentence after I complete my college qualification then start uni at 24 which is just embarrassing to me

I also want to know if I’m still employable
And just any advice going forward

I can’t believe I got myself into this
I feel like the universe has neglected me and does not rate me
I need reassurance that life will still work out bc I’m hopeless at this point
I have currently made a subject request to CIFAS to know how long my marker will last as I am unsure about all the details
I’m scared for my life
And is it likely for the police to get involved?? I saw that could go to jail for 14 years!! I don’t want that 🥺bc I believe I’m a victim in my case but they don’t know that
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laylahxx
Hi guys I’m 17 years old currently in college, a few months back I was naive enough to add one of those frauds on snap which at that time I didn’t know about because it seemed genuine and said it was legit and risk free so I thought why now, so the lady messaged me and asked if I wanted to make money and I said yeah then I asked where the money is coming from and she said she has business accounts with a lot of money so they are looking for cards to release funds into
We then agreed to meet up for her to take my card but her cousin showed up instead and I gave him my card
The process took a few weeks and this whole time I would have researched about this to know what I was getting myself into but I was too oblivious
The money was released into my account which was £2000 and the guy managed to take out £1300
A few days later my card got blocked with £700 left in it and he had said to ring the bank to unlock it so he could do the second drop but they needed the back number which I didn’t know
He didn’t speak to me for weeks
Then two days ago I got a letter from Santander saying they were withdrawing my banking facilities and my card will be closed in 30 days
So I just thought okay I’ll just open with a different bank so I tried Natwest and all the other cash apps but I got declined
So I then googled to see what’s going on and it came to my realisation that I may have been registered on cifas with a fraud marker for first degree fraud which lasts for 6 years
I was out of words as I had no clue about this

I could not sleep or eat I had an anxiety attack the whole night and I was shaking, it just didn’t feel real, the next morning I decided to text my cousin and let her know what had happened so she could tell my mum and aunt bc I wasn’t gonna do it myself
Everyone was shocked and angry bc they didn’t understand why I needed it, which to be fair I didn’t but luckily they all calmed down and decided I’ll use my aunt’s card for my wages until I’m 24!!!
I can’t even get car insurance or student finance when I get to uni
I feel like all my dreams have been crushed and my life plans have been ruined bc I had planned to go uni get a car next year and live an independent life which I can’t anymore
I feel guilty, stressed, confused, anxious and depressed, even contemplating death at this point

But my main worry is I’m not sure banks will still allow me to open an account after my six year sentence as I’m not trusted anymore
And what’s worse it I’m going to be 24 with no credit score!!
I’m thinking of working in care for the rest of my sentence after I complete my college qualification then start uni at 24 which is just embarrassing to me

I also want to know if I’m still employable
And just any advice going forward

I can’t believe I got myself into this
I feel like the universe has neglected me and does not rate me
I need reassurance that life will still work out bc I’m hopeless at this point
I have currently made a subject request to CIFAS to know how long my marker will last as I am unsure about all the details
I’m scared for my life

Well yes naive, more moronic imo. So clearly a scam.

Honestly I would if possible go get legal advice, perhaps with you not being 18 you can attempt to get the fraud marker removed.

If you cant afford a lawyer I would get your parents to go to the bank and fight for you that because your not 18 this needs to be removed, I doubt it will go anywhere, but is worth trying.

Amazingly this is like the 3rd or 4th time ive seen someone on TSR fall for scams getting these cifas markers in like the last 2 years.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Well yes naive, more moronic imo. So clearly a scam.

Honestly I would if possible go get legal advice, perhaps with you not being 18 you can attempt to get the fraud marker removed.

If you cant afford a lawyer I would get your parents to go to the bank and fight for you that because your not 18 this needs to be removed, I doubt it will go anywhere, but is worth trying.

Amazingly this is like the 3rd or 4th time ive seen someone on TSR fall for scams getting these cifas markers in like the last 2 years.

Yeah I know it’s really bad, I was well uneducated about money mulling

I don’t think anything can be done to attempt to remove it at this point I’ll just have to live with it

Sigh what a shame
Yeah I know it’s really bad, I was well uneducated about money mulling

I don’t think anything can be done to attempt to remove it at this point I’ll just have to live with it

Sigh what a shame

TBH I dont really know what to say but to try to remove it, because yes this puts you in an incredibly difficult position for the next 6 years and has major knock on effects for jobs/student finance etc.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
TBH I dont really know what to say but to try to remove it, because yes this puts you in an incredibly difficult position for the next 6 years and has major knock on effects for jobs/student finance etc.

yh I’m really worried about how I’m going to survive uni
it cannot be removed unfortunately so I’ll have to hold on for the next 6 years but I’m not even sure if any banks would let me bank with them
apparently it wouldn’t affect employment unless it’s in the finance department which I’m not interested in
yh I’m really worried about how I’m going to survive uni
it cannot be removed unfortunately so I’ll have to hold on for the next 6 years but I’m not even sure if any banks would let me bank with them
apparently it wouldn’t affect employment unless it’s in the finance department which I’m not interested in

There is an ask student finance section here on TSR, perhaps ask them if its possible to get the loan, and if the maintenance loan can be put into a relatives account.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
There is an ask student finance section here on TSR, perhaps ask them if its possible to get the loan, and if the maintenance loan can be put into a relatives account.

Yh I found out about it, they can still pay for my tuition as that’s paid directly to the uni but I can’t get maintenance or any loans bc I need my own bank details for that
Reply 7
but I’m not even sure if any banks would let me bank with them

I've seen threads on here where people say that Monzo has accepted them, even with a Cifas marker against them.
Reply 8
Original post by martin7
I've seen threads on here where people say that Monzo has accepted them, even with a Cifas marker against them.

Yh I did manage to get a Monzo but they have been getting complaints bc they do not do cifas check therefore they’re shutting down account and mine might be one of them
Try a credit union?
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
Try a credit union?

Is it any better?? bc even monese declined me
Is it any better?? bc even monese declined me

It's worth a try if you need an account to receive wages.

NB. In your first post you mentioned about using your Aunt's account? I would highly recommend not doing this as she could just end up in the same position as you, IE. with a fraud marker.
Reply 12
It's worth a try if you need an account to receive wages.

NB. In your first post you mentioned about using your Aunt's account? I would highly recommend not doing this as she could just end up in the same position as you, IE. with a fraud marker.

Okay I’ll give it a try

How come? I’ll just be using it to receive my wages nothing fraudulent
How come? I’ll just be using it to receive my wages nothing fraudulent

It's not normal for an established account holder to just suddenly start receiving another wage. It's likely to flag on money laundering checks.
Reply 14
It's not normal for an established account holder to just suddenly start receiving another wage. It's likely to flag on money laundering checks.

It’s her spare account which she doesn’t use and unless they can confirm that it’s laundering I don’t think it would idk
It’s her spare account which she doesn’t use and unless they can confirm that it’s laundering I don’t think it would idk

Please take the advice from someone who worked in finance for over a decade.
Reply 16
Please take the advice from someone who worked in finance for over a decade.

But I’ve heard people say it’s possible to earn wages from someone else’s account
Can you please explain in depth
What if she opens another one? Wouldn’t they just assume she has another job?
I mean I’ve used her card before I had my own
(edited 4 years ago)
But I’ve heard people say it’s possible to earn wages from someone else’s account
Can you please explain in depth

Yes, but to be fair you also felt it was okay to exchange card/bank details with an anonymous person via Snapchat.

I'm not going to go in any further detail. Just contact a credit union like I suggested.
Reply 18
Yes, but to be fair you also felt it was okay to exchange card/bank details with an anonymous person via Snapchat.

I'm not going to go in any further detail. Just contact a credit union like I suggested.

I didn’t see anything wrong with it at that time as I was well uneducated on money mulling otherwise I would have never done it

Ah okay but it would have helped for me to get more insight from what you said as I didn’t fully understand
And as someone who’s worked in finance I hoped you’d be happy to share
Thanks though x
you need to get legal advice, speak to a lawyer, dont do anything before getting legal advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending