Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
Some are strict and want Q1 while some can consider both quintiles

I’m
3 thou?
Original post by Aamilah12
I’m
3 thou?

Universities have different contextual rules. Some accept 1 flag some require 2 conditions to be met. Some accept schools you attended whilst others dont.
Some universities use POLAR3 instead of POLAR4 (a few might still be using POLAR2) and others might be using IMD
universities can use slightly different metrics, so it depends which is used by the uni.
Reply 6
I realise that some used polar 3 or 4 but what I’m confused with is I’m quintile 3 I thought only 1 or 2 is accepted . If a certain uni is accepting quintile 3 medium progression to higher education, why not all of them?
They can be using other criteria as well as POLAR scores.
I’m
3 thou?

It depends on the uni and their requirements. Some may be used POLAR while others do both - it really depends since there is a lot to factor in like are you eligible for Free school meals, are you the first generation to go into uni and etc
I realise that some used polar 3 or 4 but what I’m confused with is I’m quintile 3 I thought only 1 or 2 is accepted . If a certain uni is accepting quintile 3 medium progression to higher education, why not all of them?

You're quintile 3 in POLAR4.
POLAR3 (or POLAR2) and IMD have different quintiles. You could be quintile 1 or 2 in POLAR3 or IMD.
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
They can be using other criteria as well as POLAR scores.

I only placed the postcode of my home nothing else says I’m eligible - Edinburgh uni, Leeds but not London Russell groups. I wanted to email someone who deals with this postcode stuff but can’t find an address?
Reply 11
I only typed my postcode , Edinburgh and Leeds uni accepted and London Russell group unis said no?

Should I email them?
I only placed the postcode of my home nothing else says I’m eligible - Edinburgh uni, Leeds but not London Russell groups. I wanted to email someone who deals with this postcode stuff but can’t find an address?

The Uni's can use other data from your UCAS application to determine if you meet their criteria.

I would email either their generic undergraduate admissions address or google "UNI NAME + contextual" to see if there is a page with a more specific address for those enquiries.
Reply 13
Original post by Admit-One
The Uni's can use other data from your UCAS application to determine if you meet their criteria.

I would email either their generic undergraduate admissions address or google "UNI NAME + contextual" to see if there is a page with a more specific address for those enquiries.

I haven’t applied yet doing some research that’s all. I will email them, thank you.
I haven’t applied yet doing some research that’s all. I will email them, thank you.

Places like Bristol and Exeter have been basing their contextual criteria on schooling for years. I believe Oxford have done the same thing and Southampton have joined in the last couple of years. Manchester and Leeds used to base theirs on postcodes and you had to have 2 conditions rather than 1 in Bristol and Exeter. Not all universities make contextual offers. It is largely the ones with low take up from state educated students.

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements-qualifications/contextual-offers/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10728091/The-universities-with-the-most-and-least-state-school-students.html
I only typed my postcode , Edinburgh and Leeds uni accepted and London Russell group unis said no?

Should I email them?

Some of those universities don't make contextual offers, others make contextual offers based on a combination of data not just on postcode.
Where are you typing in your postcode to get this information?
Why do you need a contextual offer?
Reply 16
Original post by PQ
Some of those universities don't make contextual offers, others make contextual offers based on a combination of data not just on postcode.
Where are you typing in your postcode to get this information?
Why do you need a contextual offer?

I used the postcode checker on Leeds on their website said I’m eligible and same with Edinburgh. Knowing that my postcode is eligible even thou it’s polar 4 Quintile 3 which London Russel group are saying no to when I used their link it strange as for them it has to be quintile 1 or 2.
It’s weird because I got contextual offers from three unis but not from the other two
I used the postcode checker on Leeds on their website said I’m eligible and same with Edinburgh. Knowing that my postcode is eligible even thou it’s polar 4 Quintile 3 which London Russel group are saying no to when I used their link it strange as for them it has to be quintile 1 or 2.

Where did you find out that your postcode is Q3 polar4? Did you use the OfS lookup? What’s your polar3 quintile and IMD quintile?

Why do you think universities would all use the same criteria?

Which London universities are you talking about?
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
Where did you find out that your postcode is Q3 polar4? Did you use the OfS lookup? What’s your polar3 quintile and IMD quintile?

Why do you think universities would all use the same criteria?

Which London universities are you talking about?

Yes I used the website that the unis links to to.

I’m polar 3 and 4 quintile 3

So ucl and QMW both want quintile 1 or 2.

As I said before Leeds and Edinburgh had a checker too their own one said I’m eligible

Latest

Trending

Trending