The Student Room Group

How competitive is becoming a Bio teacher?

Are more Biology graduates going into PhDs or teaching?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randomquestion
Are more Biology graduates going into PhDs or teaching?

Most biology graduates don't go into PhDs or teaching- it's more common to get an industry job following your undergrad degree.

Biology teaching isn't that competitive- especially to get on a PGCE. There's a real shortage of science teachers in the country at the moment, so even though biology is the most popular science to take a PGCE in, unis keep recruiting biology teachers, because they can go on to teach all three sciences later in their career.

Getting a job as a biology teacher if you're happy to teach chemistry and physics up to GCSE isn't that competitive. Biology only jobs are rare these days, and more competitive. Most science departments have more biology teachers than teachers of other subjects, so it can be harder to find a biology teaching job that lets you teach A-level.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Most biology graduates don't go into PhDs or teaching- it's more common to get an industry job following your undergrad degree.

Biology teaching isn't that competitive- especially to get on a PGCE. There's a real shortage of science teachers in the country at the moment, so even though biology is the most popular science to take a PGCE in, unis keep recruiting biology teachers, because they can go on to teach all three sciences later in their career.

Getting a job as a biology teacher if you're happy to teach chemistry and physics up to GCSE isn't that competitive. Biology only jobs are rare these days, and more competitive. Most science departments have more biology teachers than teachers of other subjects, so it can be harder to find a biology teaching job that lets you teach A-level.

I have done GCSEs in Physics and Chemistry, but not a levels. I would happily teach them tho.
Does this hinder any chance of me being able to teach
I have done GCSEs in Physics and Chemistry, but not a levels. I would happily teach them tho.
Does this hinder any chance of me being able to teach

No! You get training during the PGCE on how to teach all 3 sciences, and your subject knowledge will improve as you teach these subjects.

Again, it may impact your employability a little bit- but most science teachers teach at least one science they don't have an A-level in!
No! You get training during the PGCE on how to teach all 3 sciences, and your subject knowledge will improve as you teach these subjects.

Again, it may impact your employability a little bit- but most science teachers teach at least one science they don't have an A-level in!

Will my employability next affected greatly!

I’m worried. As I really want to go into teaching as a Biology graduate - I have Bio, Psychology and Maths A level. I don’t know how competitive it will be, or if I should have a back career in mind!
Will my employability next affected greatly!

I’m worried. As I really want to go into teaching as a Biology graduate - I have Bio, Psychology and Maths A level. I don’t know how competitive it will be, or if I should have a back career in mind!

Not greatly, no.

As a biology teacher in the current climate, you will have no issues finding a job!

Maths A-level will be a real asset for some schools- they may ask you to teach a bit of KS3 maths!
Not greatly, no.

As a biology teacher in the current climate, you will have no issues finding a job!

Maths A-level will be a real asset for some schools- they may ask you to teach a bit of KS3 maths!

So should I be worried in any way? Like should I have a backup career in mind?
My first degree was biology and I did a runner from the sector the minute I received my degree in the post lmao.
Original post by Gluecagone
My first degree was biology and I did a runner from the sector the minute I received my degree in the post lmao.

Why is that?
So should I be worried in any way? Like should I have a backup career in mind?

Not for reasons of not getting a job- you will easily find a job as a biology teacher in most areas of the country.

However, a lot of people start the PGCE and discover it's not for them- it has a really high drop out rate compared to many other courses. Also, a high proportion of people leave teaching in the first 5 years.

There are lots of reasons for this, which I can go into if you like- but it is a good idea to have a think about what you might do if you get into teaching and find you don't like it!
Not for reasons of not getting a job- you will easily find a job as a biology teacher in most areas of the country.

However, a lot of people start the PGCE and discover it's not for them- it has a really high drop out rate compared to many other courses. Also, a high proportion of people leave teaching in the first 5 years.

There are lots of reasons for this, which I can go into if you like- but it is a good idea to have a think about what you might do if you get into teaching and find you don't like it!

Okay that’s fine!
Was just worried if I’m going to struggle to find a job with the qualifications I have ?

So, I will not have a problem whatsoever with finding a job?
Okay that’s fine!
Was just worried if I’m going to struggle to find a job with the qualifications I have ?

So, I will not have a problem whatsoever with finding a job?

It's unlikely you'd struggle to find a job if you were able to complete your PGCE or another ITT course.

Saying there will be no problem whatsoever is impossible- it does vary from region to region, and teaching interviews are a lot about personality/teaching skills, rather than qualifications. But your qualifications will be no barrier, and as long as you come across ok in interviews, you will be able to find a job in most areas of England.

This all assumes you have a clean DBS etc.
It's unlikely you'd struggle to find a job if you were able to complete your PGCE or another ITT course.

Saying there will be no problem whatsoever is impossible- it does vary from region to region, and teaching interviews are a lot about personality/teaching skills, rather than qualifications. But your qualifications will be no barrier, and as long as you come across ok in interviews, you will be able to find a job in most areas of England.

This all assumes you have a clean DBS etc.

What would increase my employability chances?

Offering Maths to GCSE would increase your attractiveness to a school. I would get up to speed with the new GCSE and try to get some teaching during your PGCE [one class would be great]. Have you got any hobbies or sports that you could offer as clubs?

Biology grads are the most common so a second subject would be good :smile:

Would you offer Psychology too? [Did you post the other day about this?]
Original post by Muttley79
Offering Maths to GCSE would increase your attractiveness to a school. I would get up to speed with the new GCSE and try to get some teaching during your PGCE [one class would be great]. Have you got any hobbies or sports that you could offer as clubs?

Biology grads are the most common so a second subject would be good :smile:

Would you offer Psychology too? [Did you post the other day about this?]

Yh I can definitely offer Psychology and Maths!

Yes Biology grads are most common, but do a lot of them go into teaching?

Performing well at interview!

In my experience, it's not hard to get an interview following a Biology PGCE- I don't know anyone on my course who struggled to get interviews. Some people did have to go through several interviews to get a job, but in the end, everyone who wanted a job for September got one- just maybe not at their first choice of school.
Yes

Performing well at interview!

In my experience, it's not hard to get an interview following a Biology PGCE- I don't know anyone on my course who struggled to get interviews. Some people did have to go through several interviews to get a job, but in the end, everyone who wanted a job for September got one- just maybe not at their first choice of school.

Is getting into the PGCE hard?
Yes

Is getting into the PGCE hard?

Getting into a PGCE isn't hard- some are a bit more competitive than others.

Getting a specific Schools Direct or SCITT place can be a bit more competitive.

If you want a place for biology ITT (initial teacher training), you will be able to get one, assuming you have a clean DBS and pass the "fit to teach" section of the application.
Yh I can definitely offer Psychology and Maths!

Yes Biology grads are most common, but do a lot of them go into teaching?

There are more in teaching than Chem or Phys grads -

Do not go into First Teach or into somewhere that'll chuck you straight into class - a taught PGCE is safer for avoiding this. Check what the provider's course gives you - Ofsted reports can be enlightening!
Original post by Muttley79
There are more in teaching than Chem or Phys grads -

Do not go into First Teach or into somewhere that'll chuck you straight into class - a taught PGCE is safer for avoiding this. Check what the provider's course gives you - Ofsted reports can be enlightening!

Does this mean it’ll be rlly hard to become a bio teacher?

Quick Reply

Latest