The Student Room Group

Will I qualify for home fees?

Dear Student Finance England,
I am an EU student who has been living, studying full-time and working part-time in the UK since 1 September 2018. I would like to take a gap year and apply for an undergraduate course for 2021/22 entry. I am aware that the government has not yet confirmed the fee status and loan eligiblity for 2021 EU applicants yet, but I am wondering if I'd qualify for home fees at that point in time regardless. My circumstances are as follows:
1. I am a citizen of an EU country and had been living in that country prior to 1 September 2018.
2. On 1 September 2018, I moved to the UK to receive full-time education, but I did not return to my home country for any significant amount of time since. I've always been employed, too.
3. Throughout the academic years 2018/19 and 2019/20, I have been in full-time education and I have also been working part-time. I am a resident in the UK and have not returned to my home country for summer etc.
4. I am looking to take a gap year in the next academic year (2020/21) and apply to an undergraduate course in Autumn 2020.
Should my application be successful, by the time I'd start the course (01 September 2021), I will have completed exactly three years of ordinary residency in the UK. I know that during those years, I was also in full-time education, but according to UKCISA's website, as an EU national this would not stop me from qualifying for home fees? (See below)

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#4-eu-nationals-in-the-uk

I am not sure if I got the policy right. I would really appreciate your advice on my situation!
Thank you in advance for your time and stay safe.
Original post by caufou
Dear Student Finance England,
I am an EU student who has been living, studying full-time and working part-time in the UK since 1 September 2018. I would like to take a gap year and apply for an undergraduate course for 2021/22 entry. I am aware that the government has not yet confirmed the fee status and loan eligiblity for 2021 EU applicants yet, but I am wondering if I'd qualify for home fees at that point in time regardless. My circumstances are as follows:
1. I am a citizen of an EU country and had been living in that country prior to 1 September 2018.
2. On 1 September 2018, I moved to the UK to receive full-time education, but I did not return to my home country for any significant amount of time since. I've always been employed, too.
3. Throughout the academic years 2018/19 and 2019/20, I have been in full-time education and I have also been working part-time. I am a resident in the UK and have not returned to my home country for summer etc.
4. I am looking to take a gap year in the next academic year (2020/21) and apply to an undergraduate course in Autumn 2020.
Should my application be successful, by the time I'd start the course (01 September 2021), I will have completed exactly three years of ordinary residency in the UK. I know that during those years, I was also in full-time education, but according to UKCISA's website, as an EU national this would not stop me from qualifying for home fees? (See below)

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#4-eu-nationals-in-the-uk

I am not sure if I got the policy right. I would really appreciate your advice on my situation!
Thank you in advance for your time and stay safe.

Hi there, we are not able to confirm eligibility for the 21/22 academic year. The Brexit transition period ends on the 31/12/2020 so we should have more information available on the 21/22 academic year sometime early next year. You can speak to the universities to see if they will be charging you home or international fees.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending