The Student Room Group

HELP!! Got kicked out of home! Emergency!!

Hi, I’m 19 years old and as you can tell from the title I’ve just been kicked out of my house

I’ve managed to take my phone and my laptop with me. I had no time to pack clothes or anything like that.

I’m in London and I have no money or anywhere to go.
My student loan comes in on the 20th so I’ll have some money then.

I’m thinking of either going back to my uni accommodation by then. It’s in Warwick but I don’t have money for a train yet.
Maybe it would be better if I used the money to find a hostel in London. Maybe it would be cheaper idk.

I think I’ll be able to just walk around till the 20th.
I have like £3 so I’ll just buy caffeine to stay awake.

Any help or advice would be nice.

Currently typing this while walking the streets of London. Ngl I’m kinda scared

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gonna sit at a bus stop for a while.

I’m truly racking my brain thinking of what I could do.

I am seriously in a terrible situation.

Made me realise I truly have a rotten family. My dad told me to get out and two off my sibling ignored them and the other two told him he should.
Reply 2
I feel like I’m just going to start crying but I’m still in shock.
Typing this is the only thing that’s keeping me sane at the moment .
Reply 3
Blasting music out my earphones right now. Anything to stop me thinking about it too much.
Reply 4
I wonder how long I can sit here before it starts looking suspicious.
Try asking your friends to loan you money so you can buy a ticket to warwick xx Don’t worry everything will be okay soon just don’t panic :frown: x
(edited 3 years ago)
oh my god, i'm so sorry. staying at the bus stop may be best. in fact, maybe dialling 111, and getting directions to the nearest police station to sit there may be better
Ok I don't really know what to say that's actually going to be of help in this situation. But I've been there. Is there any friend you can stay with? I would also contact your university asap and let them know! Because when I did this they offered me accommodation there and your university will have a way to apply for emergency funding which you could use for a train ticket. For tonight I'd say absolutely worst case scenario if there's no one you can stay with maybe find a way to sleep in your garden? A neighbours house? I'm so sorry about this.
Reply 8
Original post by damsellinstress
Try asking your friends to loan you money so you can buy a ticket to warwick xx

I don’t have my Warwick key. And I moved everything out of my room anyway.

And I just can’t ask my friends.
The police station is actually a really good idea as well.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Ok I don't really know what to say that's actually going to be of help in this situation. But I've been there. Is there any friend you can stay with? I would also contact your university asap and let them know! Because when I did this they offered me accommodation there and your university will have a way to apply for emergency funding which you could use for a train ticket. For tonight I'd say absolutely worst case scenario if there's no one you can stay with maybe find a way to sleep in your garden? A neighbours house? I'm so sorry about this.

I can just not sleep till my money comes in I think.

Do you think I can call my uni now at this time.
Especially with the corona think going on.
Original post by Rhodesian

Im sure when you go up to the accommodation they can give you a spare key? x :frown: maybe call a friend or go to the police soon
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
The police station is actually a really good idea as well.

Am I allowed to just stay in a police station for a while?

so? it doesn't matter, the university is likely to offer you temporary accomodation. please try it, there's no harm in trying
Are you sure you can't ask friends? If you can't have you got any extended family like cousins that will let you stay? I hope you are okay. Stay safe
Reply 15
Original post by damsellinstress
Im sure when you go up to the accommodation they can give you a spare key? x :frown: maybe call a friend or go to the police soon

What can the police do?
Am I allowed to just stay in a police station for a while?

yes!!! just sit around there until the university responds
What can the police do?

Better than nothing. They might at least be able to tell you where else to go.

You would technically qualify as homeless, I believe.

Sorry this happened to you. Not good. Nobody else is asking, and it may not be the appropriate moment, but what set this off? Has it happened before?
I can just not sleep till my money comes in I think.

Do you think I can call my uni now at this time.
Especially with the corona think going on.

They might not pick up at this time. However, send an email now- my mentor responded to me the next day. I'd say send an email to your student services but also your university mentor if you have one as in a professor which oversees what you do. They're still working at my uni and I'm sure they will be at Warwick too especially with corona as they are aware that some people do not have good home situations. In terms of money, I know its a difficult thing to ask but I'm sure your friends would be happy to lend you some given the situation. I know the feeling, I've hated asking in the past and have only done so when truly desperate but as you say your money is coming in soon and it should be ok. I know it's so hard but please just try and stay safe and it WILL get better I promise.
also, dont drain your battery by typing on here or listening to music, (or even calling uni, they'll let you do that on their phone at the police station). you know what to do, there's a plan, you've got it under control.

Quick Reply

Latest