The Student Room Group

HELP!! Got kicked out of home! Emergency!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhodesian
Am I allowed to just stay in a police station for a while?

As someone has already said but yes you are!
just wondering mate, how do you have wifi. And moreover, I think its best u call someone before you run out of battery.
Reply 22
Original post by XDaJokerz
just wondering mate, how do you have wifi. And moreover, I think its best u call someone before you run out of battery.

I’m using data. And I brought my charger with me and my phone is on 80% and it usually last a long time so I think that’ll be fine.
Reply 23
Original post by Anonymous
As someone has already said but yes you are!

Okay I’m going to walk to the nearest one now thanks.
I’m using data. And I brought my charger with me and my phone is on 80% and it usually last a long time so I think that’ll be fine.

If police are no good and you really need somewhere warm to go, sit in an A&E waiting room- It generally tolerated by receptionist...
You will also be able to charge your phone.
However I don't know how easy it is to do at the moment due to covid-19
(edited 4 years ago)
sorry to hear what happened, probably the worst timing to get kicked out since we all have to stay at home :/ do you have any cousins or uncles/aunts who will let you stay at their home? or like a close friend or your grandparents? maybe call ur uni 4 accomadation idrk tbh but i hope you find somewhere to stay asap
Hi, I’m 19 years old and as you can tell from the title I’ve just been kicked out of my house

I’ve managed to take my phone and my laptop with me. I had no time to pack clothes or anything like that.

I’m in London and I have no money or anywhere to go.
My student loan comes in on the 20th so I’ll have some money then.

I’m thinking of either going back to my uni accommodation by then. It’s in Warwick but I don’t have money for a train yet.
Maybe it would be better if I used the money to find a hostel in London. Maybe it would be cheaper idk.

I think I’ll be able to just walk around till the 20th.
I have like £3 so I’ll just buy caffeine to stay awake.

Any help or advice would be nice.

Currently typing this while walking the streets of London. Ngl I’m kinda scared

You Need to contact your local council ASAP. They may be obliged to provide you with emergency accommodation, normally at B&B's or hostels
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/rules/emergency_housing_if_you_are_homeless
Check this Out- Shelter is a housing/ homelessness charity.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 27
Hi, I’m 19 years old and as you can tell from the title I’ve just been kicked out of my house

I’ve managed to take my phone and my laptop with me. I had no time to pack clothes or anything like that.

I’m in London and I have no money or anywhere to go.
My student loan comes in on the 20th so I’ll have some money then.

I’m thinking of either going back to my uni accommodation by then. It’s in Warwick but I don’t have money for a train yet.
Maybe it would be better if I used the money to find a hostel in London. Maybe it would be cheaper idk.

I think I’ll be able to just walk around till the 20th.
I have like £3 so I’ll just buy caffeine to stay awake.

Any help or advice would be nice.

Currently typing this while walking the streets of London. Ngl I’m kinda scared

Original post by glassalice
You Need to contact your local council ASAP. They are obliged to provide you with emergency accommodation, normally at B&B's or hostels
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/rules/emergency_housing_if_you_are_homeless

Depends how old he is. I know when I was kicked out for a short period many years ago the council did nothing because i was over 21 and not female/pregnant.

If the limit is still 21 then he's in luck, but i have heard rumours that they've lowered it to 18...

It's worth checking out tommorow.

honestly though OP. get out your phone book and try calling up a friend. the worse they can say is no.
Am I allowed to just stay in a police station for a while?

Of course!
Where are you Rhodesian? I will book you a hotel. I've been in a similar situation and its utterly terrifying.
Original post by ANM775
Depends how old he is. I know when I was kicked out for a short period many years ago the council did nothing because i was over 21 and not female/pregnant.

If the limit is still 21 then he's in luck, but i have heard rumours that they've lowered it to 18...

It's worth checking out tommorow.

honestly though OP. get out your phone book and try calling up a friend. the worse they can say is no.

Unfortunately, you appear to be correct. And yes now it is generally under 18's.

OP, do you have any disabilities/ mental health difficulties. Have you ever been in care or are you at risk of domestic abuse? That would definitely work in your favour.
Reply 31
Unfortunately, you appear to be correct. And yes now it is generally under 18's.

It's out of order they lowered it tbh..

probably something to do with the government trying to save money.....
Reply 32

Get onto the network by getting on at a station with no barriers. penge has none [both stations], annerley has none. either lewisham or catford had none last time i went there [which was quite a while mind]

get on your train to warrick and if you get caught you get caught. by time that £20 fare penalty comes through the post you'll have enough to pay it off anyway.

i don't know if warrick has barriers. if it does explain your situation to a friendly looking person who gets off the same stop as you and ask if you can quickly slide in after them when they go through. a random girl at london bridge asked me if she could do this once and i just let her. some people you ask may say no, but some will say yes as well, you just have to ask.
Reply 33
You Need to contact your local council ASAP. They are obliged to provide you with emergency accommodation, normally at B&B's or hostels

Okay I called them. And they said the housing people will call me back. I’m walking towards the police station hopefully I can just wait there
Original post by ANM775
It's out of order they lowered it tbh..

probably something to do with the government trying to save money.....

100%
Apparently according to some government idiot there is a difference in need between someone who is 17 years 11 months and someone who is 18 years 1 month old
P o l i c e
n o w
Reply 36
Okay I called them. And they said the housing people will call me back. I’m walking towards the police station hopefully I can just wait there

the police arn't gonna let homeless people stay there [trust me]

you'd be better off getting onto one of those routemaster busses in London, getting on through the back-doors and not paying, and just sleeping to the last stop, then get back on and ride to the last stop again. keep doing till morning. shouldn't cost you a penny.

i know the number 12 is a bus which would be suitable.
google can probably tell you the rest.
Reply 37
Where are you Rhodesian? I will book you a hotel. I've been in a similar situation and its utterly terrifying.

I’m in London currently walking around Wandsworth,

But I’m on the phone with the council now hopefully they can help.
Reply 38

Well it seems the council can’t find me a place for tonight.
If you’re serious I could really use the help. And I can pay you back when my university money come in.
Reply 39

you should ask him if he has his passport/driving licence on him because no hotel will let him in without government ID

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending