The Student Room Group

Why are dell laptops so bloody slow?

Anyone have the same issue? Mine is an inspiron 15 5000 and ITS SO BLOODY SLOW OH MY DAYS

Scroll to see replies

I have the same laptop and mine's pretty fast. It depends on what RAM and CPU you have, or what you're running?

For reference mine has 8GB RAM and an i5-8250U and runs perfectly fine
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone have the same issue? Mine is an inspiron 15 5000 and ITS SO BLOODY SLOW OH MY DAYS

how new is it? can you link me to the specs? dells generally shouldn't be any slower than others.
Reply 3
What do you mean by slow? Is startup slow? Do programs take a long time to open?
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
how new is it? can you link me to the specs? dells generally shouldn't be any slower than others.

3 years old. Not new at all and the specs? I’m sorry, I’m really uninformed of computers etc
Reply 5
Is startup slow? Do programs run slow? More context?
It also might be that your hard drive is just full or you have loads of programs running...
Reply 6
Original post by Ewan__
What do you mean by slow? Is startup slow? Do programs take a long time to open?

Everything. Startup and programs take long and it’s very laggy.
Original post by Ewan__

Both startup and programs take very long to load and the laptop is quite laggy.
Reply 7
Go on file explorer, is the C: drive red?

And open task manager, how much usage is the CPU on? What percentage.
Reply 8
Original post by Ewan__
Go on file explorer, is the C: drive red?

And open task manager, how much usage is the CPU on? What percentage.

I clicked task manager but now the whole screen is frozen smh wtf :/ 😭
My Dell's good. You need to run maintenance on your laptop though. Like anything. House occasionally needs cleaning, painting, etc. You need to eat.

Laptop needs sorting out. Fans can accumulate dust. Software can pile up. Especially if you download dodgy stuff and pirate copies, etc.

Back your stuff up on a hard drive, and reinstall the operating system. Then it normally runs as good as new. If not, take it to pieces and clean the fan. A clogged fan, raises the temperature, and some laptops automatically then throttle the CPU capacity to lower the temperature. I don't know much else about it.
Update: ok so when o tried opening task manager, the laptop froze for a while. So I had enough and pressed the power button. After that, I turned it back on and has a black screen but after the dell sign cane up, I pressed f8 and that configured the whole thing and now the laptop is fine but still slow. Kinda lost now but grateful nothing happened. Also, this has become a normal occurrence. Any ideas on how to prevent this?
Original post by velvethopes
I have the same laptop and mine's pretty fast. It depends on what RAM and CPU you have, or what you're running?

For reference mine has 8GB RAM and an i5-8250U and runs perfectly fine

Wow look at you very intelligent:wink:
Thank you all for the recommendations and taking your time out to help me. It’s very appreciated :smile:
Original post by AnonymousBella
Wow look at you very intelligent:wink:

Pardon?
Pardon?

I'm just joking calm down
I would definitely recommend re-installing Windows... especially if you did the free upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 Microsoft offered a few years a.

Someone mentioned RAM... although Windows 10 can run on 4GB RAM (about standard for a budget 3 year old laptop), it will run a lot faster / smoother on 8 GB. The Solid State Drive (SSD)drive will also help it run smoother (this is a common upgrade, as laptops that come with SSD are very expensive, but you can buy them from about £100.

Also, do you have a lot of applications (apps) running simultaneously? Even things like browsers with a lot of different tabs can cause can slow down your computer. It could also be downloading / installing updates... Do you have an antivirus? Also try doing something called a "defrag" (basically a "tidy-up for your computer).

Also, this website can be sooo bl00dy clunky at times ::eek: :tongue: :wink:
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I would definitely recommend re-installing Windows... especially if you did the free upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 Microsoft offered a few years a.

Someone mentioned RAM... although Windows 10 can run on 4GB RAM (about standard for a budget 3 year old laptop), it will run a lot faster / smoother on 8 GB. The Solid State Drive (SSD)drive will also help it run smoother (this is a common upgrade, as laptops that come with SSD are very expensive, but you can buy them from about £100.

Also, do you have a lot of applications (apps) running simultaneously? Even things like browsers with a lot of different tabs can cause can slow down your computer. It could also be downloading / installing updates... Do you have an antivirus? Also try doing something called a "defrag" (basically a "tidy-up for your computer).

Also, this website can be sooo bl00dy clunky at times ::eek: :tongue: :wink:

Jesus you people are soooooooooooooo clever i wish i were intelligent like you people:smile:
I'm just joking calm down

Sorry, was just confused whether it was sarcasm or not, wanted to make sure.

But OP, I too would recommend reinstalling Windows, however make sure anything you don't want to lose is backed up, either on something like OneDrive, a USB stick, whatever you prefer. Often it's automatically saved to OneDrive so as long as you know how to access that, you'll be all fine to get your important documents back, etc. I made that mistake with my PC, lost everything :tongue:

I personally wouldn't recommend opening up the laptop itself and replacing parts, I wouldn't even trust myself to do that :biggrin:

But just a precaution, have you been doing regular Antivirus checks to ensure your device is free of viruses, malware, etc.? These can often be the culprit of slowing the laptop.

And on the other hand, from my experience with this same laptop, mine was pre-installed with McAfee, which over time for some reason rendered the laptop pretty much unusable (which I've seen is common online with McAfee), so if your laptop came with this pre-installed, it may be worth looking into unistalling that and seeing if that changes anything. (Of course, installing a new Antivirus afterwards :tongue:)
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry, was just confused whether it was sarcasm or not, wanted to make sure.

But OP, I too would recommend reinstalling Windows, however make sure anything you don't want to lose is backed up, either on something like OneDrive, a USB stick, whatever you prefer. Often it's automatically saved to OneDrive so as long as you know how to access that, you'll be all fine to get your important documents back, etc. I made that mistake with my PC, lost everything :tongue:

I personally wouldn't recommend opening up the laptop itself and replacing parts, I wouldn't even trust myself to do that :biggrin:

But just a precaution, have you been doing regular Antivirus checks to ensure your device is free of viruses, malware, etc.? These can often be the culprit of slowing the laptop.

And on the other hand, from my experience with this same laptop, mine was pre-installed with McAfee, which over time for some reason rendered the laptop pretty much unusable (which I've seen is common online with McAfee), so if your laptop came with this pre-installed, it may be worth looking into unistalling that and seeing if that changes anything. (Of course, installing a new Antivirus afterwards :tongue:)

Lol i was serious but i got scared that you might get offended or that i was a creep thats why:smile:
Jesus you people are soooooooooooooo clever i wish i were intelligent like you people

we're all a bunch of geeks with too much time on our hands :wink:

Seriously, it sounds all tech when you hear all these initials thrown around, but it's fairly straight forward when you get your head around it. If you like a Solid State Drive (SSD) is a bit like a giant USB stick, while your traditional SATA hard drive, is like a giant CD player , with a permanent CD in it (innit lol)

Also, I would suggest in buying an external hard drive... you can buy 1TB for only £50... it's handy if you had some (ahem) personal items you'd rather wern't stored on a One Drive which may or may not be shared.

I had a crash on my laptop a few years ago, and didn't back up my things. Lost lots of stuff

If you can't afford to take it into a shop, I would also suggest getting one of your geeky friends to help you with this. It's generally a simple enough process, but remember you're dealing with electricity, which has a whole heap of issues... as well as the risk of electric shock, even static from your hands, can destroy components, if you don't "ground" yourself first.

However, if you're feeling brave, please make sure you disconnect the power, take the battery out and leave the laptop for at least 5 minutes (this allows residual currents to dissipate)... have an anti-static wrist band as well, and I would also suggest touching a large metal object first (e.g. a radiator), to discharge any static electricity from yourself.

Also research how to correctly take apart your laptop (there are various "Tear-down" videos of laptops on sites like Youtube), and it's a good idea to watch this first to see if its something you're comfortable at attempting. I would also suggest videoing (recording) you when you do it, so you've got a reference of how to put it back together again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending