The Student Room Group

HELP!! Got kicked out of home! Emergency!!

Scroll to see replies

Sorry, that was also supposed to say have you sorted out your accomodation for next year yet? Many places offer 12 month leases so would likely cover you for summer. If not then contact your uni, they will have systems in place for care leavers who have nowhere to go and so will be able to help you out.
Original post by Rhodesian
Thank you so much.
I’m on my way to the place the council said I can stay now.

I’m kind of scared. I can’t imagine this place will be very nice. But I’m trying to be optimistic. All in need is a room and a bed and to feel safe.

Awesome, please tell us when you get there safely!
It’s tough around this site sometimes but I love it when TSR turns into love 💓
I was just wondering - OP do you not have some sort of overdraft you could use (don't most student accounts have them nowadays?) for your train ticket + some supplies?
If I stay at my accommodation for now.

What should I do during summer when the accommodation closes?
I doubt I’m high on the councils list for housing.

What could I do?

Whilst you are 19 they have a duty to help you.
They will find a temp place for you.
Imo by that time I would be talking to uni welfare and seeing if they will put you up for 52 weeks.
Yours is not an uncommon scenario.
You know your parents, but at this stage if you dont wish or its not going to be mended, then you go estranged.
Were you getting full student loan?

You talk to the following.
1. Council.
2. Uni and support services.
3. Standalone.
https://www.standalone.org.uk/students/

If you get stuck then tag or DM me. Glass Alices link to Shelter was a good one and explains the duties of the council.
Uni should be used to taking people out of care.
Standalone are a charitry dealing with estranged people.

Sounds like a nasty experience.

Ps have slept in a park, its kind of quiet, ground is a bit hard and if its pitch black the noises and animals are a bit freaky, bit felt safe. Ot can also be cold. Very l;ucky to have got through to the council. Are you there yet? Keep your phone charged and if offered food then try to eat. The suggestion about saving the £3 for food ws a good one.

Post back when you are at the place and safe.
Try and treat it as surrealy and think only wahts in the next few hours, dont dwell on home.

It will be ok and it might be a good thing to get away from them.
Reply 85
Original post by 999tigger
Very l;ucky to have got through to the council. Are you there yet? Keep your phone charged and if offered food then try to eat. The suggestion about saving the £3 for food ws a good one.

Post back when you are at the place and safe.
Try and treat it as surrealy and think only wahts in the next few hours, dont dwell on home.

It will be ok and it might be a good thing to get away from them.

i'm very baffled as to why they were working 10pm on a friday night...?

seems most peculiar ...
Original post by ANM775
i'm very baffled as to why they were working 10pm on a friday night...?

seems most peculiar ...

Because its a 24h emrgency out of hours service. People arent always made homeless in office hours.
Reply 87
I’m in the room.

It’s nicer than I thought it would be.
I’m feeling a lot better now that I have somewhere to stay.

Thank you so much for the help everyone. This has been a difficult time for me and these messages have helped me keep calm and find solutions.

When my uni money comes in I’ll go back to Warwick.
I’ll talk to the welfare team then about how they can help me.
hope you are okay! stay safe out there.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 89
I’m in the room.

Thank you so much for the help everyone. This has been a difficult time for me and these messages have helped me keep calm and find solutions.

Given ongoing events there might still be quite a few retail jobs going that you could try to pick up once you’re back at your uni place. You should be able to get help for estrangement or other funds by uni staff.

Good luck.
I’m in the room.

That's great. Have a good rest and try to relax for a bit, I know it still must feel a little surreal/in shock... Try and stay positive. Think about how you are going to move forward. You're smart, I know you'll be okay :-) In terms of your family, I think you really need to think what you want to do in terms of your relationship with your parents/siblings. Not matter what it is unacceptable behaviour on their part. Also once you're back in Warwick, there are a lot of places like supermarkets looking for temp staff etc if you're in need of a job. Stay safe and healthy. I think once your exams are over (if you still have any) try and start saving up asap. Do you have anymore money for food?
Now it is very difficult for y
what is your next plan
I’m in the room.

I'm so very relieved to hear this - please let us know how you get on and if you are in any difficulty please don't hesitate to send me a PM, I'll do whatever I'm able to help you out

Please take very good care and get some sleep :hugs:
Reply 93
Original post by Majid Aftab
Now it is very difficult for y
what is your next plan

My plan?

I’m gonna stay in this housing thing for the weekend. I think I have to leave Monday morning.

My university money should be coming in by 5pm on by Monday and with that I’ll buy a train ticket to my uni and stay on accommodation.

I’ll try to look for a job. Hopefully I can work throughout term 3 and summer and make a good amount of money.
I’ll have to be very frugal though.

I’m am going to apply as an estranged student to student finance and hopefully that’ll mean I get a bit more of a maintenance loan.
I am also going to apply to my university hardship fund and see if they can help me.

I’m not going to tell any of my friends what I’m going through though. I know everyone will see it as being prideful and bad for me but I honestly don’t think I could handle the shame of it.

I was mostly living of maintenance loan for the first two terms anyway. So I’m sure I’ll have enough to live decently on campus.

I’ve calmed down. And I’m doing a lot better. If anything I’m slightly grateful my family have always been toxic and it has been bad for me. I think I’ll do better being away from them. Having to fend for myself will also make me more independent and resilient as well. So hopefully I come out of this a better person.
I have decided to give up on my family. My parents and siblings were horrible to me and they don’t deserve my forgiveness so I won’t be speaking to them in the foreseeable future
Reply 94
The fact that all I have is the clothes I wore and my laptop and phone is kind of stressing me out though.

I should’ve brought some extra clothes with me or a toothbrush or something.

I know it sounds gross but I only have £3 and I’m think that’s better spent on food and water for this weekend than a toothbrush or shampoo/soap.
I think I’ll hold of till I get my finances.

Also I don’t know if it’s the stress but I realised when I woke up I hadn’t eaten anything in a long time but I’m not hungry.
I had like 4 small cookies yesterday morning and was busy the whole day so didn’t eat the rest. And the day before I think I only ate lunch. But I’m not hungry yet which is weird.
Just to add to what others have said, I spend two months living in a cheap hotel which was basically full of homeless people (an accident on my part when booking - I thought I had hit gold finding a place to stay with a kichen). It was absolutely fine and I met some great people.

A friend was homeless for a year or so and was placed in a hostel - again, not great but she made friends, was safe and secure and able to start a career.
Reply 96
Original post by ajj2000
Just to add to what others have said, I spend two months living in a cheap hotel which was basically full of homeless people (an accident on my part when booking - I thought I had hit gold finding a place to stay with a kichen). It was absolutely fine and I met some great people.

A friend was homeless for a year or so and was placed in a hostel - again, not great but she made friends, was safe and secure and able to start a career.

Where people staying there long term?

Also, was there a secure place to keep your belongings?

I’m thinking of staying in a cheap hostel in London over the summer.
Reply 97
Original post by Anonymous
That's great. Have a good rest and try to relax for a bit, I know it still must feel a little surreal/in shock... Try and stay positive. Think about how you are going to move forward. You're smart, I know you'll be okay :-) In terms of your family, I think you really need to think what you want to do in terms of your relationship with your parents/siblings. Not matter what it is unacceptable behaviour on their part. Also once you're back in Warwick, there are a lot of places like supermarkets looking for temp staff etc if you're in need of a job. Stay safe and healthy. I think once your exams are over (if you still have any) try and start saving up asap. Do you have anymore money for food?

I have £2 left since I spent some for bus fair.

If I don’t eat much it should last me till Monday.
Also took a 2l bottle of water from home with me before I left so I’m fine with that.

Hopefully I can get a job as soon as uni starts and I’ll start saving up.
I have £2 left since I spent some for bus fair.

If I don’t eat much it should last me till Monday.
Also took a 2l bottle of water from home with me before I left so I’m fine with that.

Hopefully I can get a job as soon as uni starts and I’ll start saving up.

Why can't you get a fruit and veg picker job in the mean time?Apparently is in high demand. They can provide you with accommodation and it is a good way to keep yourself distracted, until uni starts. You will have to be very pro active right now in order to sustain yourself.
Where people staying there long term?

Also, was there a secure place to keep your belongings?

I’m thinking of staying in a cheap hostel in London over the summer.

Well, I had a single room so pretty secure. When my friend was in a hostel she had a locker so also ok but you couldnt have too much stuff.

Not sure there are cheap hostels in London in the way there used to be? Could you stay in university accommodation over the summer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending