The Student Room Group

Extracurriculars during quarantine

Hi! I’m an Italian student who is going to apply to study law (and that is NOT going to go well..) next year. As most of you probably know, in Italy everything has been closed for almost two months now. All of the extracurricular activities I had taken part in this year had only just started and they have obviously been cancelled, as well as those I was going to start this summer (bye bye oxford summer course😭).
So I was wondering, do any of you guys have any advice on some extracurriculars (law related) I could do whilst staying at home? I literally have no idea what to do and I’m kind of freaking out because I’m already such a weak applicant.
Any advice would be super helpful, and please stay safe. We will all get through this❤️
There's a great website called Uptree that offer online work experiences through using a virtual platform such as Zoom! Depending on your age you may be eligible. Stay safe, stay home 💛
Reply 2
Original post by Equil9nityp
There's a great website called Uptree that offer online work experiences through using a virtual platform such as Zoom! Depending on your age you may be eligible. Stay safe, stay home 💛

That seems perfect, thank you so much, I'll check it out! ^-^
What extracurriculars are you looking for?
Reply 4
Original post by PetitePanda
What extracurriculars are you looking for?

First of all, thank you for replying, I’ve just found out about this site and I absolutely love that everyone tries to help each other! Anyway, anything really. As I said, this summer I was going to take part in an oxford summer course for law, but I think there’s an option for me to do that online (they haven’t emailed me the details yet). I was also about to join my school’s debate team on the next competition and ad just started a project on library management (i dont really know how to call it ahaha, archiving?). I enjoy politics too (I did MUN in new york last year). I just want to do SOMETHING, even some kind of project I could start on my own; I just have no clue what to do. (Unfortunately) I have a lot of time on my hands right now, and I just feel like I could be doing something useful instead of just stressing about my application next year😫
Original post by anna5404
First of all, thank you for replying, I’ve just found out about this site and I absolutely love that everyone tries to help each other! Anyway, anything really. As I said, this summer I was going to take part in an oxford summer course for law, but I think there’s an option for me to do that online (they haven’t emailed me the details yet). I was also about to join my school’s debate team on the next competition and ad just started a project on library management (i dont really know how to call it ahaha, archiving?). I enjoy politics too (I did MUN in new york last year). I just want to do SOMETHING, even some kind of project I could start on my own; I just have no clue what to do. (Unfortunately) I have a lot of time on my hands right now, and I just feel like I could be doing something useful instead of just stressing about my application next year😫

For online courses, look at some on futurelearn or eds. For competitions/ projects, look at my thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6419758 You do some analysis of some cases and how it developed for a mini project. I'm in year 12, wanting to study law for next year so I kind of understand how you feel tbh like what else can I do but then I have too many things I want to do and I will procrastinate on those things instead of revising or doing the things I planned

Everyone will have similar issues - why do you think you are a weak candidate?
Reply 7
Original post by PetitePanda
For online courses, look at some on futurelearn or eds. For competitions/ projects, look at my thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6419758 You do some analysis of some cases and how it developed for a mini project. I'm in year 12, wanting to study law for next year so I kind of understand how you feel tbh like what else can I do but then I have too many things I want to do and I will procrastinate on those things instead of revising or doing the things I planned

Oh my god that thread seems SO helpful, I can't thank you enough!! I'll look into it as soon as I'm done replying:smile:
You are describing my situation exactly ahahaha, I'm having such a hard time these days staying motivated, this whole situation really took a toll on my mental health; I really hope some of these activities will help me get out of my own head and perhaps even motivate me to study more!
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Everyone will have similar issues - why do you think you are a weak candidate?

It's not that I have "bad" grades, but the Italian grading system is (unfortunately) very different from the ones in the UK (and Belgium, which is pretty random to mention, but I lived there when I was a kid so just thought I'd mention it ahahah). We get grades on a scale of 1 to 10, but you NEVER get a 10, no matter how good you are in that specific subject. It's just not something we do, teachers think of it as some kind of "elementary school grade". You can sometimes get a 10 in maths, or physics, only because, well, if there are no mistakes, there are no mistakes ahaha
I, however, am not the best in maths or sciences; I do so much better in Literature, Latin, Philosophy, etc., so all of my grades are around 8/10, which is actually great here, but not so much in the UK.
It's not that I have "bad" grades, but the Italian grading system is (unfortunately) very different from the ones in the UK (and Belgium, which is pretty random to mention, but I lived there when I was a kid so just thought I'd mention it ahahah). We get grades on a scale of 1 to 10, but you NEVER get a 10, no matter how good you are in that specific subject. It's just not something we do, teachers think of it as some kind of "elementary school grade". You can sometimes get a 10 in maths, or physics, only because, well, if there are no mistakes, there are no mistakes ahaha
I, however, am not the best in maths or sciences; I do so much better in Literature, Latin, Philosophy, etc., so all of my grades are around 8/10, which is actually great here, but not so much in the UK.

Universities will judge you against the grades in your country not the UK.
Reply 10
Universities will judge you against the grades in your country not the UK.

Ok, you just made my day. I know come across as kind of a worrier, but I just have a really hard time believing in myself. It really is my dream to study law in the UK and now that it's actually almost time to apply, I am so scared I'm going to dissapoint myself, my family, my friends..
Oh god, this just went from 0 to "I hate myself" real quick
Ok, you just made my day. I know come across as kind of a worrier, but I just have a really hard time believing in myself. It really is my dream to study law in the UK and now that it's actually almost time to apply, I am so scared I'm going to dissapoint myself, my family, my friends..

Have you checked the information for International applicants on the university website?
Reply 12
Have you checked the information for International applicants on the university website?

I have, and I'm pretty sure I am going to get the predicted grades they ask for. I'm just quite nervous about past grades though, as we don't have GCSEs here and I didn't exactly get amazing grades in every subject (we don't really get to choose our subjects, so if there's some subject you aren't that good at, there isn't really anything you can do), so I'll just try to get the best LNAT score I can and work really hard on my personal statement:dong:

You don't need to have amazing grades in every subject, don't worry. And most students in the UK applying to uni adopt a strategy to make sure they get offers. They apply to one or two aspirational unis, a couple of realistic unis (where their predicted grades exactly match the uni requirements) and one or two "insurance" unis. In the case of Law, the insurance uni is often a non LNAT one, which also covers the worry about potentially getting a disappointing score in the LNAT.
Reply 14
Original post by harrysbar
You don't need to have amazing grades in every subject, don't worry. And most students in the UK applying to uni adopt a strategy to make sure they get offers. They apply to one or two aspirational unis, a couple of realistic unis (where their predicted grades exactly match the uni requirements) and one or two "insurance" unis. In the case of Law, the insurance uni is often a non LNAT one, which also covers the worry about potentially getting a disappointing score in the LNAT.

Thank you so much! Well I’m so glad to hear that’s actually a ‘strategy’, because that is exactly how I chose my 5 universities, except I had NO idea what I was doing ahahaha
Thank you so much! Well I’m so glad to hear that’s actually a ‘strategy’, because that is exactly how I chose my 5 universities, except I had NO idea what I was doing ahahaha

Haha, it's common sense really isn't it? :biggrin:

All students this year are in the same boat with the difficulty in doing extracurriculars so it shouldn't work against you, and unis understand about students from other countries not necessarily having GCSEs.

You will be fine, but carry on asking any Law related questions on this forum :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by harrysbar
Haha, it's common sense really isn't it? :biggrin:

All students this year are in the same boat with the difficulty in doing extracurriculars so it shouldn't work against you, and unis understand about students from other countries not necessarily having GCSEs.

You will be fine, but carry on asking any Law related questions on this forum :smile:

Thanks again, you really calmed me down😊
Since quarantine started, I have had a lot of time to think about which steps I need to take to be accepted into UK universities and it has really been stressing me out😅

I'm quite new to the website, but seeing how helpful everyone is, I'm sure I will be on here a whole lot more in the future ahahah😋

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending