The Student Room Group

Sixth Form advice

So whilst in lockdown it has struck me that mans going sixth form innit. I’m honestly just wondering how it’ll be going into a new sixth form: not knowing anyone, how quickly relationships progress and the general workload. Any advice would be appreciated:smile: Also if you happen to be going graveney sixth form wassup😂

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i went to sixth form not knowing anyone a couple of years ago, as long as you’re open to get to know new people you’ll be fine. relationships form so easy as everyones in the same boat just trying to get through the next 2 years without losing their heads😂you’ll mature so much throughout the 2 years, i wouldnt say it was anywhere near as fun as senior school though. Make sure you revise even outside of lesson time, if thats the only one piece advice you take from this haha. it’ll help you out a lot, the workload is also very heavy, sometimes it’ll be none and then the next day you’ll end up with 5 essays, 3 pieces of homework & 2 exams the next day, it’s a struggle haha. good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Aight you make it sound like it’ll be fine😂 very reassuring:smile: And I’ll try my best to keep up with the workload, I’m doing 4 alevels with 2 being sciences and then 2 essay based subjects🥴 not doing my GCSEs hasn’t really exposed me to the extremes of revising for final exams tho I’ve never been a proper reviser, Id been getting decent grades without but I know that will no longer work. Ty and take careeee
Original post by Hoodoo
Aight you make it sound like it’ll be fine😂 very reassuring:smile: And I’ll try my best to keep up with the workload, I’m doing 4 alevels with 2 being sciences and then 2 essay based subjects🥴 not doing my GCSEs hasn’t really exposed me to the extremes of revising for final exams tho I’ve never been a proper reviser, Id been getting decent grades without but I know that will no longer work. Ty and take careeee

I totally agree we may never know the TRUE meaning of preparation before exams until our y12 mocks. What made you choose graveney? It's massive!
Reply 4
Original post by KrazyKriss
I totally agree we may never know the TRUE meaning of preparation before exams until our y12 mocks. What made you choose graveney? It's massive!

I chose graveney because it’s close to my house (less than 20mins compared to more than 1hour in my old skl), my brother goes there for yr13 and the grades people end up with are decent I guess. To be honest my mum wanted me to go:/ I’m on ropes.

To be fair the people in induction day were really nice too. Course it’ll be intimidating but the probability of finding nice mates will be higher I hope! I don’t know what to expect🥴 it is what it is
Reply 5
People make friends so quickly in sixth form!! What subjects are you taking??
Original post by Hoodoo
I chose graveney because it’s close to my house (less than 20mins compared to more than 1hour in my old skl), my brother goes there for yr13 and the grades people end up with are decent I guess. To be honest my mum wanted me to go:/ I’m on ropes.

To be fair the people in induction day were really nice too. Course it’ll be intimidating but the probability of finding nice mates will be higher I hope! I don’t know what to expect🥴 it is what it is

Thanks, I'm considering it but I do live further away.
Reply 7
Original post by hrusse2
People make friends so quickly in sixth form!! What subjects are you taking??

Biology, chemistry, English lit and history probably I may change history to geo tho I’m not even sure😂
Reply 8
Original post by Hoodoo
Biology, chemistry, English lit and history probably I may change history to geo tho I’m not even sure😂

I did biology, history and English lit so if you have any questions about them let me know!!
Do you think living in Croydon is too far to attend graveney?
Do you think living in Croydon is too far to attend graveney?

nah not at all. thats like a 30min journey on public transport. You'll be fine.
Original post by hrusse2
nah not at all. thats like a 30min journey on public transport. You'll be fine.

Thanks!😊
Reply 12
Thanks, I'm considering it but I do live further away.

I mean graveney has a good rep many people tht live far away go there. How far is is? It’d be pretty epic if u go too😂
Reply 13
Original post by Hoodoo
I mean graveney has a good rep many people tht live far away go there. How far is is? It’d be pretty epic if u go too😂

Oh wait 30mins, most of my brothers friends take 30mins to get there
Reply 14
Original post by hrusse2
I did biology, history and English lit so if you have any questions about them let me know!!

Wow what a coincidence😂 I’ll be sure to ask:smile:) did u go graveney?
Original post by Hoodoo
Wow what a coincidence😂 I’ll be sure to ask:smile:) did u go graveney?

No! I just know the area.
I moved from an all girls school to an all boys school that let girls in for sixth form, making friends was the hardest part for me, but I’ve never been too good at that part. By the end of year 12 I just went with the flow and settled into a pretty rad group of friends. Honestly A-Levels was a wayyyy more enjoyable experience than my previous 5 years of schooling. I’m sad to be leaving all my new friends behind for uni in September :frown:(
Original post by Hoodoo

Croydon but its 30 mins on a GOOD DAY. Yeah it would👌
Does anyone here know about dunraven school? I am honestly torn between the 2.
I moved from an all girls secondary school to a mixed sixth form on the other side of the U.K , I wasn’t used to the slang lmfoa I couldn’t even understand the northern accent, you just got to be open to talking to people, it took me about a week or two to settle in, and it’s okay if you don’t like certain people looll only chill with people you actually like and don’t have to be fake around , don’t do **** to fit in , life is so much better just doing you

Quick Reply

Latest