The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

What is it like living in Swansea?

Hello :-)
I'm interested in studying at Swansea. I visited recently, and I loved the town. Is it worthwhile? Any Swansea uni students please let me know any pros and cons/your opinions on uni life, as the city is just as important to me as the course is.
Thanks!
more specific questions please.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
There's a nice little film on YouTube about the city. Might be useful to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO6oZWtNgPM
If you any questions about city living don't hesitate to get in touch. I have studied and lived here all my life so know loads about the area.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Sorry to jump in, in my experience Swansea is a great city to live in with great accommodation and night life :smile:

If you do decide that Swansea is the place for you why not check out St Davids With a variety of options to suit your needs and direct buses to both Singleton and Bay campus - why stay anywhere else! For a better idea of our accommodation feel free to ring us on 01792 341642 or check out our website and social media sites:

www.freshstudentliving.co.uk/swansea
https://www.facebook.com/StDavidsSwansea
https://twitter.com/stdavidsswansea

Thanks,
Katy @ Fresh
Hey if you want to talk to someone who has lived here for years just drop me a message! Would be more than willing to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hello, please i have been offered admission by both Swansea and Sunderland Uninversities but i am not sure which to accept mainly because i am not sure how easy getting a job is swansea compared to Sunderland.
Original post by Davoe
Hello, please i have been offered admission by both Swansea and Sunderland Uninversities but i am not sure which to accept mainly because i am not sure how easy getting a job is swansea compared to Sunderland.

Hey @Davoe :hello:

Congratulations on receiving your offers!

If you're looking for part time work alongside your studies, Swansea has a lot to offer!

Most students will have a part-time job whilst studying here, whether that's in the city, the University or the Union is up to you.
You can find more information about jobs in the University here:
1. https://myuni.swansea.ac.uk/employment-zone/
2. https://myuni.swansea.ac.uk/employment-zone/work-while-you-study/
3. https://myuni.swansea.ac.uk/employability-enterprise/student-ambassador-scheme/

Have you had the chance to speak to one of our Student Ambassadors? As current students in the University, they know all there is to know about studying and living in Swansea. The Open Days are a great opportunity for you to chat to them, and ask any questions that you may have about the course or life in Swansea. As well as find out more about jobs and employability!

To register for an upcoming Virtual Open Day click here: http://www.swansea.ac.uk/open-days/

I hope this has been of some help!
Mia :smile:
Original post by bronwencerimarsh
Hey if you want to talk to someone who has lived here for years just drop me a message! Would be more than willing to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi how is the city?
Original post by Haya12345
Hi how is the city?

She posted that 7 years ago
Original post by Riotriot
She posted that 7 years ago

I know no problem I need information
Hi how is the city?

Hi @Haya12345

I used to be a Swansea uni student and have been in Swansea for four years now, what would you like to know about the city? I'm happy to answer any questions you might have :smile:

Karolina (Admissions Office)
is it nice city or boring (Original post by Swansea University Enquiries)Hi @Haya12345

I used to be a Swansea uni student and have been in Swansea for four years now, what would you like to know about the city? I'm happy to answer any questions you might have :smile:

is it nice city or boring like shopping centers , outdoor activity , parks and zoo
how is the people are they friendly ?
what is pros and cons in general ?
is it nice city or boring (Original post by Swansea University Enquiries)Hi @Haya12345

is it nice city or boring like shopping centers , outdoor activity , parks and zoo
how is the people are they friendly ?
what is pros and cons in general ?

Hi @Haya12345

As an ex Swansea student I totally understand the importance of making sure the city of the university is a good fit for you as well as the Uni itself, as you'll be spending 3 or more years there.

For me, there was a couple of things about Swansea that I noticed, that were major deciding factors to me as why I should come here, which may align with your own priorities. One, was the fact that city and both campuses are situated in the Swansea bay area, where the beach is in walking distance. The coastline and green areas in and around campus are pretty and you can go for long walks, to chill/destress when needed. The beach is also where everyone goes to during autumn or summer for beach fires and bbq's when its warmer. There's good access to public transport which is available to take you to different parts of the coastline to explore, eg: Three Cliffs or Rhossili, which are stunning and you also have access to areas great for surfing like Caswell Bay.

The town centre does have the usual shopping centre with shops ranging from Primark and H&M to Superdry and JD etc and is good for getting essentials. Additionally, is a lot to do in and around the town centre, with places like Flashpoint where you can go bouldering, Ninja Warrior, Axe throwing, bowling allies, restaurants, cinemas, crazy gold etc. I also saw nightlife as an important part of the student experience, so if you're interested in that, the the town centre has a lot of clubs and bars to go on nights out. An added plus is that the locals here are really friendly and you can approach them if you're lost or need any help with anything, they're almost always happy to chat.

The main issue that I have with Swansea is that as it's next to the sea, it does rain a lot during winter time, so November to Feb it can get quite cold and wet, which if that's going to affect you, I definitely would consider about before coming here.

I hope this helps answer your question and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :smile:

Best wishes,
Amy ( Admissions Office and Ex Marine Biology Student).
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hi @Haya12345

As an ex Swansea student I totally understand the importance of making sure the city of the university is a good fit for you as well as the Uni itself, as you'll be spending 3 or more years there.

For me, there was a couple of things about Swansea that I noticed, that were major deciding factors to me as why I should come here, which may align with your own priorities. One, was the fact that city and both campuses are situated in the Swansea bay area, where the beach is in walking distance. The coastline and green areas in and around campus are pretty and you can go for long walks, to chill/destress when needed. The beach is also where everyone goes to during autumn or summer for beach fires and bbq's when its warmer. There's good access to public transport which is available to take you to different parts of the coastline to explore, eg: Three Cliffs or Rhossili, which are stunning and you also have access to areas great for surfing like Caswell Bay.

The town centre does have the usual shopping centre with shops ranging from Primark and H&M to Superdry and JD etc and is good for getting essentials. Additionally, is a lot to do in and around the town centre, with places like Flashpoint where you can go bouldering, Ninja Warrior, Axe throwing, bowling allies, restaurants, cinemas, crazy gold etc. I also saw nightlife as an important part of the student experience, so if you're interested in that, the the town centre has a lot of clubs and bars to go on nights out. An added plus is that the locals here are really friendly and you can approach them if you're lost or need any help with anything, they're almost always happy to chat.

The main issue that I have with Swansea is that as it's next to the sea, it does rain a lot during winter time, so November to Feb it can get quite cold and wet, which if that's going to affect you, I definitely would consider about before coming here.

I hope this helps answer your question and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask :smile:

Best wishes,
Amy ( Admissions Office and Ex Marine Biology Student).

Thank you I have another question how to travel from Kuwait to Swansea I think the nearest airport in Cardiff.
Thank you I have another question how to travel from Kuwait to Swansea I think the nearest airport in Cardiff.

I dont know the distance from Kuwait to UK but it is several hours flight, I doubt you would fly into Cardiff which will be about 1 and 1/2 hours by train. You will probably be better advised looking to fly into Heathrow which is the main airport for long haul travel into the UK.

There are direct coaches which take about 5 hours or you can come by train where you will have to change in Lindon and will take approximately 4 hours. Contact the International Office in the university as they sometimes offer a meet and greet and transfer service. They are used to helping International students.

Quick Reply

Latest