The Student Room Group

Optics physics intensity question

Part D
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/light_circ_mirror?board=e976568d-610a-4f8a-99d8-46bf75ff7f05

I’m trying to make the area of the cap/ area of sphere =0.25 but I keep getting equations involving h and x (obviously I’m trying to find x so that’s fine) but I can’t get rid of x. I found the video in the final hint helpful so far but could do with a little extra nudge
Original post by Jsmithx
Part D
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/light_circ_mirror?board=e976568d-610a-4f8a-99d8-46bf75ff7f05
I’m trying to make the area of the cap/ area of sphere =0.25 but I keep getting equations involving h and x (obviously I’m trying to find x so that’s fine) but I can’t get rid of x. I found the video in the final hint helpful so far but could do with a little extra nudge

I am not sure are you seeking help or Because you said that “I found the video in the final hint helpful so far but could do with a little extra nudge” So you have given yourself the extra nudge or you are asking others to give you the extra nudge.

Next, your explanation is also weird. “I’m trying to make the area of the cap/ area of sphere =0.25 but I keep getting equations involving h and x (obviously I’m trying to find x so that’s fine) but I can’t get rid of x.” You want to find x but at the same time, you want to get rid of x. So what do you really want to do? I have never seen a method in maths that you can get rid of x and then solve for x.
Reply 2
Original post by Eimmanuel
I am not sure are you seeking help or Because you said that “I found the video in the final hint helpful so far but could do with a little extra nudge” So you have given yourself the extra nudge or you are asking others to give you the extra nudge.

Next, your explanation is also weird. “I’m trying to make the area of the cap/ area of sphere =0.25 but I keep getting equations involving h and x (obviously I’m trying to find x so that’s fine) but I can’t get rid of x.” You want to find x but at the same time, you want to get rid of x. So what do you really want to do? I have never seen a method in maths that you can get rid of x and then solve for x.

I’m looking for a nudge (I’m nearly there but not quite)
The x thing is a typo I’m trying to eliminate h (sorry)
Original post by Jsmithx
I’m looking for a nudge (I’m nearly there but not quite)
The x thing is a typo I’m trying to eliminate h (sorry)

It is again best that you post your working.
Reply 4
2πh(x^2 + 0.3^2)^1/2 (area of cap) divided by 4/3π(x+h)^3 (area of sphere) = 1/4
4h(x^2 + 0.09)^1/2 = 1/3 (x+h)^3
144h^2 (x^2 + 0.09)= (x+h)^6
Original post by Jsmithx
2πh(x^2 + 0.3^2)^1/2 (area of cap) divided by 4/3π(x+h)^3 (area of sphere) = 1/4
4h(x^2 + 0.09)^1/2 = 1/3 (x+h)^3
144h^2 (x^2 + 0.09)= (x+h)^6

4/3π(x+h)^3 is the formula for volume instead of the surface area of a sphere. :smile:
Reply 6
4/3π(x+h)^3 is the formula for volume instead of the surface area of a sphere. :smile:

I think by looking at the last hint R=x+h
2πh(x+h)/2π(x+h)^2 = 1/4
4h=x+h
x=3h which seems reasonable but I still don’t know what h is
Original post by Jsmithx
I think by looking at the last hint R=x+h
2πh(x+h)/2π(x+h)^2 = 1/4
4h=x+h
x=3h which seems reasonable but I still don’t know what h is

The following quote is incorrect.
2πh(x+h)/2π(x+h)^2 = 1/4

2π(x+h)^2 is the surface area of a hemisphere and this leads to an incorrect relationship between x and h (x=3h).

Note that there is a right-angled relationship between R, h and d.
Reply 8
The following quote is incorrect.

2π(x+h)^2 is the surface area of a hemisphere and this leads to an incorrect relationship between x and h (x=3h).

Note that there is a right-angled relationship between R, h and d.

I got it! Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest