The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath Uni

I think I'm heading to Bath uni, but I'm just wondering how respected is the uni by employers? Is it considered one of the best/better unis in the UK? I know it's not part of that Russel Group but is that important?
Reply 1
It’s a solid semi-target for most of the employers. The fact that it’s Russell Group really doesn’t matter to say the least.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by GarSam
It’s a solid semi-target for most of the employers. The fact that it’s Russell Group really doesn’t matter to say the least.

Cheers that's good to know. Wdym by semi-target?
Reply 3
I.e. Investment Banks often have quotas for the intake for their target unis such as Oxbridge, LSE etc. They also participate regularly in their career events. For Semi-Targets some interest is expressed, by participating in unis biggest career events and these universities are also considered solid, but they generally do not for a big portion of the intake cohort.
Original post by GarSam
I.e. Investment Banks often have quotas for the intake for their target unis such as Oxbridge, LSE etc. They also participate regularly in their career events. For Semi-Targets some interest is expressed, by participating in unis biggest career events and these universities are also considered solid, but they generally do not for a big portion of the intake cohort.

Thanks very much, that's good to know!
Original post by JohnPatanonym
I think I'm heading to Bath uni, but I'm just wondering how respected is the uni by employers? Is it considered one of the best/better unis in the UK? I know it's not part of that Russel Group but is that important?

Hi there,

That's great that you're considering Bath! Bath isn't a Russell Group uni because it is fairly small, fairly new and doesn't have as wide a range of courses. Russell Group unis are research-intensive unis, so whilst Bath does a huge amount of amazing research, it is a small uni so it isn't as much as other larger universities. Being a good university and being a Russell Group university are not mutually exclusive. Despite not being Russell Group, Bath is considered one of the top universities in the UK, especially for STEM subjects and business/management.

Bath has one of the highest student satisfaction ratings of any UK uni, and it is in the top rankings for many courses. Due to our long-established placement programme, we have loads of industry connections such as McLaren, Disney, LLoyd's, GSK and more. As a result, our graduate prospects are high. All in all, Bath is an excellent and highly regarded university by employers, despite not being a Russell Group uni. So whilst Russell Group universities are amazing, there are non-Russell Group unis that are equally as amazing, if not more so.

Instead of focusing on whether or not a uni is ranked highly overall, I'd suggest looking at rankings for your specific course, and for factors like student satisfaction. Some unis may rank highly overall, or be a Russell Group uni, but they may not be that reputable for your specific course. I'd also suggest looking at the universities you're considering from a more personal perspective, i.e. what does each uni offer that you want (such as modules to study, nightlife and culture, placements, year abroad), as your personal desires and goals are more important than a uni ranking.

You may also find this article helpful.

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
Jessica, a third year NatSci student
H yh

Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

That's great that you're considering Bath! Bath isn't a Russell Group uni because it is fairly small, fairly new and doesn't have as wide a range of courses. Russell Group unis are research-intensive unis, so whilst Bath does a huge amount of amazing research, it is a small uni so it isn't as much as other larger universities. Being a good university and being a Russell Group university are not mutually exclusive. Despite not being Russell Group, Bath is considered one of the top universities in the UK, especially for STEM subjects and business/management.

Bath has one of the highest student satisfaction ratings of any UK uni, and it is in the top rankings for many courses. Due to our long-established placement programme, we have loads of industry connections such as McLaren, Disney, LLoyd's, GSK and more. As a result, our graduate prospects are high. All in all, Bath is an excellent and highly regarded university by employers, despite not being a Russell Group uni. So whilst Russell Group universities are amazing, there are non-Russell Group unis that are equally as amazing, if not more so.

Instead of focusing on whether or not a uni is ranked highly overall, I'd suggest looking at rankings for your specific course, and for factors like student satisfaction. Some unis may rank highly overall, or be a Russell Group uni, but they may not be that reputable for your specific course. I'd also suggest looking at the universities you're considering from a more personal perspective, i.e. what does each uni offer that you want (such as modules to study, nightlife and culture, placements, year abroad), as your personal desires and goals are more important than a uni ranking.

You may also find this article helpful.

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
Jessica, a third year NatSci student

Dear Jessica,

Thanks very much for the advice. I must say that as I’ve learnt more about the university and my specific course I’ve only become more excited about potentially enrolling 👍
Original post by JohnPatanonym
H yh

Dear Jessica,

Thanks very much for the advice. I must say that as I’ve learnt more about the university and my specific course I’ve only become more excited about potentially enrolling 👍

Hi,

No problem, I'm glad I could help :smile: That's great that you're now more excited about it! Please do let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Jessica, a 3rd year NatSci student

Quick Reply

Latest