The Student Room Group

Wondering if I could fulfill my dream and join the army

I have been diagnosed with Stephen Johnson syndrome meaning I need to wear a type of shades glasses at all times to protect my eyes since they are so sensitive to light. Does anybody know if I can still join the army this way? Was going to call their helpline but today’s the Sabbath ain’t it
Thank u
I was always diagnosed with Schizphrenia but was going through a separation with my fiancée and was using illegal drugs to self medicate and was very down at the time so I am pleading for another look at the diagnosis since I feel fine and am now off drugs and committing myself to being accepted in the army. (Am 19)
Reply 1
Original post by YesMyLord
I have been diagnosed with Stephen Johnson syndrome meaning I need to wear a type of shades glasses at all times to protect my eyes since they are so sensitive to light. Does anybody know if I can still join the army this way? Was going to call their helpline but today’s the Sabbath ain’t it
Thank u
I was always diagnosed with Schizphrenia but was going through a separation with my fiancée and was using illegal drugs to self medicate and was very down at the time so I am pleading for another look at the diagnosis since I feel fine and am now off drugs and committing myself to being accepted in the army. (Am 19)

I think the second part is the bigger problem. Having Schizophrenia on your record could well be a permanent no.

Ask the Army.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
I think the second part is the bigger problem. Having Schizophrenia on your record could well be a permanent no.

Ask the Army.

Agreed. Having schizophrenia could be quite a big problem for joining the army.
Reply 3
The helplines operators can't advise on medical issues; the only way to find out if you are fit to join is to make an application and be assessed by the professionals.

Ilegal drugs aren't always a complete showstopper, but could also be an issue, depending on what you took and how recently.
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski

Ask the Army.

Hence the part about adamantly pleading for another look at the diagnosis. I was diagnosed by my Gp who without thought boxed me as schizophrenic which is ridiculous but I was such in a depressed state at the time I didn’t think about disputing . I never took the idea of me joining the army seriously because of my background being Muslim (I’m Christian) even though I dreamt about it as a kid I thought it was something Uber taboo and out of the question at the time .
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
The helplines operators can't advise on medical issues; the only way to find out if you are fit to join is to make an application and be assessed by the professionals.

Ilegal drugs aren't always a complete showstopper, but could also be an issue, depending on what you took and how recently.

What should I do then? I’ve only ever smoked weed never done anything else but if I did a drug test you would prolly find THC there I haven’t really given it up I’ve used it as a crutch a lot of times but I’m willing to give it up to get into the army . I was going to get a tatoo on my cheek of my fiancé’s name but I’m putting it off so I can enlist .
Reply 6
Hence the part about adamantly pleading for another look at the diagnosis. I was diagnosed by my Gp who without thought boxed me as schizophrenic which is ridiculous but I was such in a depressed state at the time I didn’t think about disputing . I never took the idea of me joining the army seriously because of my background being Muslim (I’m Christian) even though I dreamt about it as a kid I thought it was something Uber taboo and out of the question at the time .

how? a gp can't diagnose anyone with schizophrenia. they can only refer you to a psychiatrist.
What should I do then? I’ve only ever smoked weed never done anything else but if I did a drug test you would prolly find THC there I haven’t really given it up I’ve used it as a crutch a lot of times but I’m willing to give it up to get into the army . I was going to get a tatoo on my cheek of my fiancé’s name but I’m putting it off so I can enlist .

Assuming this isn't some sort of wind up......sort yourself out and be patient, no one want's an armed squaddie that isn't sure if things are real or not. :rolleyes:

I have little concrete exp but as others have said, these are all issues the forces will be wary of and may simply bar you, otherwise I suspect they'd want to see clear and long term evidence of you keeping stable. If you feel it's realistic to challenge your original diagnosis, do so. And yeah, THC can show up weeks/months down the line depending on test, A bit of experimentation can be explained to a reasonable recruiter, but the more distance between it the better.

Oh yeah, don't get the name cheek tattoo, from a tattoo vet of 20 years it's ****ing stupid. There's a far better and less face ruining ways to show love and commitment.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8

I don't think it's that easy.
Anyway, until you get that sorted it's a non-starter.

And don't get the tattoo, it not only looks stupid but it'll also mean you can't get in.
And, somewhat obviously, stop doing drugs ffs.
Reply 9
Well I’m not sure then because my psychiatrist never diagnosed me with anything other than saying I dealt with anxiety and bad memories from childhood trauma but that was it
Original post by StriderHort
Assuming this isn't some sort of wind up......sort yourself out and be patient, no one want's an armed squaddie that isn't sure if things are real or not. :rolleyes:

I have little concrete exp but as others have said, these are all issues the forces will be wary of and may simply bar you, otherwise I suspect they'd want to see clear and long term evidence of you keeping stable. If you feel it's realistic to challenge your original diagnosis, do so. And yeah, THC can show up weeks/months down the line depending on test, A bit of experimentation can be explained to a reasonable recruiter, but the more distance between it the better.

Oh yeah, don't get the name cheek tattoo, from a tattoo vet of 20 years it's ****ing stupid. There's a far better and less face ruining ways to show love and commitment.

Original post by Ciel.
how? a gp can't diagnose anyone with schizophrenia. they can only refer you to a psychiatrist.
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
I don't think it's that easy.
Anyway, until you get that sorted it's a non-starter.

And don't get the tattoo, it not only looks stupid but it'll also mean you can't get in.
And, somewhat obviously, stop doing drugs ffs.

Yeah I’m gonna right this one till the end. I hate to have my dreams taken away from me over a misunderstanding . I’m fully sane I’ve been through a lot I deal with depression and anxiety but that’s it I’m no where near ‘schizophrenic’ and if I am that means there’s a lot of normal people walking around that shouldn’t be lol
Yeah I’m gonna right this one till the end. I hate to have my dreams taken away from me over a misunderstanding . I’m fully sane I’ve been through a lot I deal with depression and anxiety but that’s it I’m no where near ‘schizophrenic’ and if I am that means there’s a lot of normal people walking around that shouldn’t be lol

That's not up to you to say. If it's on your records then only medical staff can say otherwise.

Ultimately, nobody here can say you'll get in, only the Army can and they'll only do so if you apply.
Reply 12
Original post by StriderHort

When we met we were certain it wasn’t anything less than a cosmic connection and since then it’s been one of us having their issues come up and now it’s hers doing the really bad daddy issues thing lol. She changed my life for the better actually the only person I ever met that cared about me unconditionally and I know she loved face tattoos (the sentimental nature of them) and I wanted to just add a subtle one. Who knows maybe she’ll wipe me out before then and I won’t have to
But trust me this is no wind up for me . Im gonna try calling their lines today as well as schedule an appointment with my doctor (my psychiatrist is quite useless since he’s a freebie one hahah) and hopefully I can get in. If they tell me I’d need to wait a couple years then I would still be over the moon about it. Honestly? There’s nothing more important to me than brother hood / and that’s why I love being a solider..
I know she loved face tattoos (the sentimental nature of them) and I wanted to just add a subtle one.

Read this; https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/tattoos-and-piercings

Especially this point;
"TATTOO RULE #1
The general rule is if your tattoo is visible on a passport photo it will be deemed unacceptable"

Get a tattoo on your face and you will not get in.
Reply 14

What you do is stop the drugs now. There are other factors in your case, but drugs alone can see an application rejected, for a few years or permanently, so you do what is in your control to have a chance.
Reply 15

you can't join the army if you have depression and anxiety, either.
Reply 16
Original post by Ciel.
you can't join the army if you have depression and anxiety, either.

A blanket statement like that is wrong. Don't give medical information you aren't qualified to comment on or cannot link to a source.
Reply 17
Original post by Surnia
A blanket statement like that is wrong. Don't give medical information you aren't qualified to comment on or cannot link to a source.

it's not wrong, you can't join the army if you have depression and/or anxiety bad enough to require treatment, like in the OP's case.

Quick Reply

Latest