The Student Room Group

What does this Question mean? (Psychology)

“Apply different psychological perspectives to the treatment of depression”

Does that mean biological psychodynamic social learning theory perspectives? Or perspectives from psychologists
(edited 4 years ago)
I believe it means the prior so behavioural, cognitive, psychodynamic etc. which really is the perspectives of different psychologists.
Original post by Psychsie
I believe it means the prior so behavioural, cognitive, psychodynamic etc. which really is the perspectives of different psychologists.

Is biological not one of them
Bump...
Original post by MoonlightRain
Is biological not one of them

I would think based on the question that they are looking for more psychological approaches to the treatment of depression but you could definitely bring in biological as a evaluative point to compare the efficacy of the treatments derived from these psychological approaches, e.g. biological treatments can be used alongside psychological treatments for optimal outcomes.
(edited 4 years ago)
I would think based on the question that they are looking for more psychological approaches to the treatment of depression but you could definitely bring in biological as a evaluative point to compare efficacy of the treatments or use biological treatments alongside psychological treatments for optimal outcomes.

I don't really understand what you're saying
I don't really understand what you're saying

The question is asking for psychological perspectives, so I would think they are expecting more psychologically-based approaches so that would not include the biological approach. However, you could use the biological approach as an evaluative point if evaluation is required in this question.
The question is asking for psychological perspectives, so I would think they are expecting more psychologically-based approaches so that would not include the biological approach. However, you could use the biological approach as an evaluative point if evaluation is required in this question.

They asked for two psychological perspectives and I have to also talk about the treatment. Biological approach treatment relies heavily on drugs like sertraline and I was hoping to explain that type of treatment.

These are what I have to include in the essay:
Describe treatments of depression from different psychological perspectives

Evaluate treatments of depression from different psychological perspectives

Apply different psychological perspectives to the treatment of depression

I must only pick 2 perspectives and and one treatment for each
These are what I have to include in the essay:
Describe treatments of depression from different psychological perspectives

Evaluate treatments of depression from different psychological perspectives

Apply different psychological perspectives to the treatment of depression

I must only pick 2 perspectives and and one treatment for each

Ah okay, from this I can see how you would apply the biological approach. There is a lot of literature comparing medication with CBT for depression if that is a possible route you're thinking of going down. A good comparison between medication and talking therapy such as CBT is that studies have found that CBT provides longer-term outcomes of treatment but medications offer quicker relief of depressive symptoms. A combo of the two is possibly the optimal treatment. Good luck!! :smile:
“Apply different psychological perspectives to the treatment of depression”

Does that mean biological psychodynamic social learning theory perspectives? Or perspectives from psychologists

It means the different psychological areas, so neurological, cognitive, behavioural, psychodynamic
Ah okay, from this I can see how you would apply the biological approach. There is a lot of literature comparing medication with CBT for depression if that is a possible route you're thinking of going down. A good comparison between medication and talking therapy such as CBT is that studies have found that CBT provides longer-term outcomes of treatment but medications offer quicker relief of depressive symptoms. A combo of the two is possibly the optimal treatment. Good luck!! :smile:

I was thinking cognitive perspective for CBT. And biological perspective on medical drugs. Thanks :smile:
PM for help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending