The Student Room Group

English lit help

I keep failing literature at school (as level) my grades are at c in class essays but in the actual exam I got a B ...anyway not the point, so I was wondering what I must do for A* cause I really want to get good grades and am willing to study really hard.
Reply 1
Original post by spleen girl
I keep failing literature at school (as level) my grades are at c in class essays but in the actual exam I got a B ...anyway not the point, so I was wondering what I must do for A* cause I really want to get good grades and am willing to study really hard.

I’m in the same boat. It’s great that you are willing to study really hard!! You’re totally going to get there. I’m in year 12 too so I’m only replying to see if I can help as someone who feels the same as you. Start early and make a good plan for your revision and learning! On YouTube there are some really handy videos that talk you through what they did for English Lit Alevel and how they achieved an A*. For example, I found it really hard to revise the novels and remember the relevant bits for the exam, so maybe you could make a spreadsheet/ document where you organise quotes from each novel/play into chapters/themes/characters etc.. This would be a good learning tool as you're making it but also good to look back on when you need it! Really just keep doing practice plans and essays. The only way to get better is to actually do it in the first place!! I hope this helped a little! Best of luck x
I'm in year 13 and I'm taking English Literature. Have you read example essays and annotated them, highlighting the AOs etc? Honestly, AS is a big step up from GCSE and the only way you'll improve is if you keep writing practice essays, getting them marked by your teacher and acting on feedback.
Are you struggling with any particular AS topic, like Shakespeare, or just in general?
Original post by eunbipsy
I’m in the same boat. It’s great that you are willing to study really hard!! You’re totally going to get there. I’m in year 12 too so I’m only replying to see if I can help as someone who feels the same as you. Start early and make a good plan for your revision and learning! On YouTube there are some really handy videos that talk you through what they did for English Lit Alevel and how they achieved an A*. For example, I found it really hard to revise the novels and remember the relevant bits for the exam, so maybe you could make a spreadsheet/ document where you organise quotes from each novel/play into chapters/themes/characters etc.. This would be a good learning tool as you're making it but also good to look back on when you need it! Really just keep doing practice plans and essays. The only way to get better is to actually do it in the first place!! I hope this helped a little! Best of luck x

oh totally will try the spreadsheet idea, thank you so much, honestly just knowing that someone else is in the same boat and understands is highly motivating, thanks againxx
Original post by S.carter
I'm in year 13 and I'm taking English Literature. Have you read example essays and annotated them, highlighting the AOs etc? Honestly, AS is a big step up from GCSE and the only way you'll improve is if you keep writing practice essays, getting them marked by your teacher and acting on feedback.
Are you struggling with any particular AS topic, like Shakespeare, or just in general?

i was actually doing well with shakesphere, currently doing kite runner, but i'll try and look at as many past papers as i can, thanksx

Quick Reply

Latest