The Student Room Group

Mental health tips during COVID-19: Lack of purpose and routine

Mental health tips during COVID-19: Lack of purpose and routine
This is part of a series of threads asking for your tips on managing your mental health during COVID-19

Since the outbreak of COVID-19, closure of schools and cancellations of exams, we'd noticed a significant increase in people on TSR reaching out for mental health support. In response, we ran a poll which asked you about what were the top factors impacting your mental health right now? The response was pretty huge, with over 4,400 votes (and counting).

Over the next couple of weeks we'd like to get your tips about how you're dealing with the six most common concerns impacting mental health right now. We'll then be working on producing some further advice pieces to support lots more young people with their mental health during this difficult time.

It's not surprising that one of the top contributors to mental health concerns right now is lack of purpose and routine. There's an awful lot changing and lots we don't know yet.

Have you found that COVID-19 has caused you to feel a lack of purpose and/or routine?

What tips do you have for other people who might be struggling with the same thing?

Post your tips in this thread and we'll include the best ones in our advice content soon. Take care, everyone. :heart:

If this issue is affecting you, you can also find some advice from our friends at @PAPYRUS-UK on coping with school, university and exam cancellations. Or if you'd like to chat to someone, you can contact Papyrus by phone: 0800 068 4141, text: 07860039967 or email: [email protected]

Purpose:

I wouldn't say this has changed much for me, as I can still do my job - but normally I work with people face to face, whereas now it's phone calls which feels less productive. I'm quite happy to just think: my main purpose is just to survive this pandemic and come out the other side. I'm trying not to get sucked into the whole 'oh I should learn a language by the end of it' or 'I should have lost x amount of weight' - because this isn't a holiday or career break, this is a very challenging time and looking after our mental and physical health is the top priority, in my opinion. What do you think?

Routine:

Although I'm still working (from home), I'm finding that some of the things I had a routine for e.g. volunteering on set days, going to my mum's for dinner on a set weekday evening, going to the gym etc is gone. I'm finding it weird to have less of a routine not just for my day but my overall week - anyone else feeling like this?

In terms of tips - I've found scheduling video calls with a friend or group of friends e.g. on a Friday evening at 7pm quite helpful. Not only is it something to look forward to, but it gives me that routine. This also works with having an idea of what time I'll go for a walk each day (normally at lunch or after work, depending on the weather sometimes). I'm trying to have routine with meals and sleep too :smile:

What are your tips for lack of purpose and routine?
Original post by BurstingBubbles
If this issue is affecting you, you can also find some advice from our friends at @PAPYRUS-UK on coping with school, university and exam cancellations. Or if you'd like to chat to someone, you can contact Papyrus by phone: 0800 068 4141, text: 07860039967 or email: [email protected]

Hello @BurstingBubbles

Thank you for signposting to us PAPYRUS Prevention of Young Suicide are indeed here to support you.

On HOPELINEUK, we can hear that the recent school closures have impacted on a person’s thoughts of suicide we understand how difficult this unusual time can be. Please know that if you, or someone you know, is struggling with thoughts of suicide, we are here to help you to manage those thoughts and keep yourself safe.

Below is where you can reach us:

Phone: 0800 068 4141
Text: 07860 039967
Email: [email protected]

Best wishes,

Maureen

Quick Reply

Latest