The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

I am a current student at the University of Leeds - Ask Me Anything!

I am now a recent graduate of LLB Law with French Law at The University of Leeds (I was a current student when this thread was set up!).

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying at Leeds, and I will do my best to answer.

Things that I can talk about include: what student life is like generally at Leeds, what student societies there are, what studying abroad is like and the process of arranging a study abroad placement, what it's like to study in two different faculties, etc. I can also discuss Law courses too.

I hope this may be of use to you!

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
@CatusStarbright - 2021 graduate, Law with French Law
@aylee_ - current student, Law
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What’s your second favourite type of Zebra?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm currently in my third (and penultimate) year studying LLB Law with French Law at The University of Leeds.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about studying at Leeds, and I will do my best to answer.

Things that I can talk about include: what student life is like generally at Leeds, what student societies there are, what studying abroad is like and the process of arranging a study abroad placement, what it's like to study in two different faculties, etc. I can also discuss Law courses too.

This thread forms part of TSR's Ask a Uni Student series, which has been set up particularly in light of the cancellation of many open days and offer-holder days at this time.

What is the campus like, and what did you like about Leeds compared to other universities when you were looking?
I'm currently in my third (and penultimate) year studying LLB Law with French Law at The University of Leeds.

This thread forms part of TSR's Ask a Uni Student series, which has been set up particularly in light of the cancellation of many open days and offer-holder days at this time.

Do you still have exams after the Easter break? Are you still in accomodation or have you returned home due to the Corona virus outbreak?
Reply 4

Hi, thanks for this. What's the best and worst thing about the University of Leeds?
Original post by Andrew97
What’s your second favourite type of Zebra?

I don't really think I have a definite ranking, knowing my favourite should be enough for you, you gatecrasher!
Original post by Amethyst190
What is the campus like, and what did you like about Leeds compared to other universities when you were looking?

Campus is composed of different buildings all in the same area. We therefore are both a campus university and a city university, as campus is located just to the north-west of the city centre. I assume you've had a look at pictures!

What I liked about Leeds is that the student support is really good and that both the city and the campus itself have life to them. I could really picture myself being a student there, which to me tells me that I will fit in and like it there.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Do you still have exams after the Easter break? Are you still in accomodation or have you returned home due to the Corona virus outbreak?

I was/am actually in my study abroad year, so I had to return home in a massively stressful hurry on the 16th March unfortunately. I had anticipated being able to return at the time that I left, but that's not looking likely now.

As far as academic arrangements go, the School of Law is no longer requiring me to continue with my courses or sit my exams, though I still need to the complete the assignment set by my personal tutor as normal. I am however continuing with my courses (albeit slowly!), but I think I'll save myself the stress of the exams and not take them since I don't need to.
Original post by StDave
Hi, thanks for this. What's the best and worst thing about the University of Leeds?

Best thing: the community feel I get, both centrally from the students' union and in the School of Law.
Worst thing: the Roger Stevens building! Whoever numbered those lecture theatres doesn't know how to count! It's a notorious confusing maze of stairs and doors (each row of each lecture theatre has its own door and you can't move rows within the lecture theatre itself).
Hi
Reply 7
Is there any way that I can have an accommodation where I’m able to have my own kitchen whilst still being on campus
I don't really think I have a definite ranking, knowing my favourite should be enough for you, you gatecrasher!

Campus is composed of different buildings all in the same area. We therefore are both a campus university and a city university, as campus is located just to the north-west of the city centre. I assume you've had a look at pictures!

What I liked about Leeds is that the student support is really good and that both the city and the campus itself have life to them. I could really picture myself being a student there, which to me tells me that I will fit in and like it there.

I was/am actually in my study abroad year, so I had to return home in a massively stressful hurry on the 16th March unfortunately. I had anticipated being able to return at the time that I left, but that's not looking likely now.

As far as academic arrangements go, the School of Law is no longer requiring me to continue with my courses or sit my exams, though I still need to the complete the assignment set by my personal tutor as normal. I am however continuing with my courses (albeit slowly!), but I think I'll save myself the stress of the exams and not take them since I don't need to.

Best thing: the community feel I get, both centrally from the students' union and in the School of Law.
Worst thing: the Roger Stevens building! Whoever numbered those lecture theatres doesn't know how to count! It's a notorious confusing maze of stairs and doors (each row of each lecture theatre has its own door and you can't move rows within the lecture theatre itself).

Don’t know what you’re talking about. 😛

I’ll leave mow.
Original post by Emma Watson7946
Hi

Hi there :smile:
Original post by Ten-Ten
Is there any way that I can have an accommodation where I’m able to have my own kitchen whilst still being on campus

Yes, apply for on-campus self-catered accommodation (or catered; catered students get a kitchen too but the number of students to a kitchen is higher).
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi there :smile:

Yes, apply for on-campus self-catered accommodation (or catered; catered students get a kitchen too but the number of students to a kitchen is higher).

Tysm
Reply 11
Hey, I'll probably be joining as an MSc student in September so I'll ask all the nerdy questions :lol:

1. What are some of your favourite study spaces on campus, how easy is it to book group rooms during the term, and do you know if postgrad-only spaces exist? I visited briefly and saw just inside the Edward Boyle and Parkinson, but none of the other spaces
2. How long do the uni exam periods last usually (just want to prepare myself for the possibility of having 3 exams squeezed into 1 week haha)
3. Outside of the official teams, do you know if there are many free/low-cost drop-in sessions for sports during the year (as opposed to during freshers where I know a lot of clubs will run those)?

I'll throw in some more later as I think of them, but those would be great for now :smile:
Original post by 2014FHD
Hey, I'll probably be joining as an MSc student in September so I'll ask all the nerdy questions :lol:

1. What are some of your favourite study spaces on campus, how easy is it to book group rooms during the term, and do you know if postgrad-only spaces exist? I visited briefly and saw just inside the Edward Boyle and Parkinson, but none of the other spaces
2. How long do the uni exam periods last usually (just want to prepare myself for the possibility of having 3 exams squeezed into 1 week haha)
3. Outside of the official teams, do you know if there are many free/low-cost drop-in sessions for sports during the year (as opposed to during freshers where I know a lot of clubs will run those)?

I'll throw in some more later as I think of them, but those would be great for now :smile:

Hey there, by all means do!

1. Study spaces: I like the Brotherton Library for always being able to find a seat, but the downside is that it is a tad echoey in the main hall so I recommend headphones! I also like the Refectory for a working lunch (though avoid peak lunchtime if you want it to be quieter). There's a quiet spot at the back of Micheal Sadler that I believe is underrated, and there are a few spots in the School of Law that I like for different reasons. Laidlaw is nice too, but it's hard to find a seat most of the time (sometimes even on a Sunday!).

Booking rooms: This is usually okay, but you may have to look across the libraries for something at the right time, particularly during exam season.

Postgrad spaces: There's definitely a lot in Edward Boyle. Your school might have a space too, I know the School of Law does. To be honest I'm not too hot on this because as an undergrad I'm not allowed in these places so I've never sought them out!

2. The January exam period is two weeks, but I can't imagine you'd have that many then. Obviously I can't speak for all subjects though! The May-June exam period is three weeks. Three exams in a week is a possibility, I've had it before. I should possibly also mention that it's possible - I know from personal experience - to have exams on a Saturday! Though I think only the morning sessions runs then.

3. There are Give-It-a-Go (GIAG) sessions run throughout the year (by all societies) for one, which admittedly do primarily take place at the starts of each semester. A lot of sports societies will offer the option to pay as you go however, which may not cost much if you just want to go occasionally. To be honest, sport is reasonably low-cost anyway. Most societies have their membership costs on their LUU page, so go check them out if you want to find out more :smile:
Hey, thanks for your time!

1. What are the best accommodations for postgrad students in terms of social, close to uni, ensuite and not too expensive?

2. What are the three good things and five bad things about the uni?

3. Is it true that business school students get a free iPad or it was all hoolahoop that I heard of?

4. How do you remember the ways to different buildings?

5. Are there any hidden places within the uni? or any places which are restricted only to PG students?

6. What's the nightlife and drinking scene like?
Original post by anchit94
Hey, thanks for your time!

1. What are the best accommodations for postgrad students in terms of social, close to uni, ensuite and not too expensive?

2. What are the three good things and five bad things about the uni?

3. Is it true that business school students get a free iPad or it was all hoolahoop that I heard of?

4. How do you remember the ways to different buildings?

5. Are there any hidden places within the uni? or any places which are restricted only to PG students?

6. What's the nightlife and drinking scene like?

You're welcome!

1. I'm not entirely up on which ones are for postgrads, but if you tell me which ones you're considering then I may be able to offer some insight.

2. Three good things: Student support and feeling of community (at least, that's what I've experienced), opportunities available (careers, events, summer schools, study abroad, placement years, discovery modules, language courses, etc.), and the facilities in the SU (a bar, a pub/bar, a Co-op, a stationary shop, food outlets, a Santander branch, a beauty salon (which notably does cheap hair cuts), a theatre, three function rooms which turn into a club every Friday night, etc.).

Five bad things: Sometimes students who have modules across different schools can have timetable clashes which can be tricky to sort out (which I once discussed with the SU's Academic Officer as she was keen to tackle this), it can be difficult to get a seat in some of the libraries at key times, the SU building is a tad maze-like (but in a weird way, I kind of like that), you can end up having an exam on a Saturday(!), and there have been some issues with Minerva this year (but I think they have been ironed out now).

3. I have never heard of that. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but it seems unlikely!

4. Habit mostly. There are a few key ways through the campus that you just get to know, and of course they are on the map.

5. Given there are lots of buildings, there are probably hidden places that I don't know about! Ones I think of include the Lower Ground floor of the Liberty Building (which is one of my favourite places to study, but shhhh! :tongue:), there are lots of cubby holes in the Brotherton Library, the back of Michael Sadler has a study space that is usually pretty quiet, etc.

6. Pretty good. There are lots of bars and clubs in town, and of course we have our own club night on Fridays (which is not restricted to Leeds Uni students, so you can bring your friends if they come to visit!). I think most people go out on Fridays (Saturday tends to be more expensive/there are more older people out then), but there's Quids In on a Monday (which I still haven't been to), and there are some others during the week.

As an international student i have a lot of concerns.

1. I am an offer holder in MSc in Global Strategy and Innovation. So how it the business school of Leeds like.
2. What is the employability, reputation as compared to other Univs.
3. Does proximity to London really affect a university, being far from London will it have affect on placements and job scenario.
4. How are the professors, and lectures like, how fast and gruelling is the course and what are the assignments like.
5. How is the campus life, living condition.
6. How does it compare to other university such as Southampton, I have an offer from Southampton too for the same strategy and innovation MSc.
Do you know what the name of the building is where you study Nursing? I'm trying to choose accommodation and would like to be near by! Thanks!

Can you tell me the name of the building where I will be studying nursing? Thanks!
Hi,
If you do French law, do you also have French speaking exams/practice ?
If so what’s it like , what are the main spoken topics for your course ?
Original post by shashkant
As an international student i have a lot of concerns.

1. I am an offer holder in MSc in Global Strategy and Innovation. So how it the business school of Leeds like.
2. What is the employability, reputation as compared to other Univs.
3. Does proximity to London really affect a university, being far from London will it have affect on placements and job scenario.
4. How are the professors, and lectures like, how fast and gruelling is the course and what are the assignments like.
5. How is the campus life, living condition.
6. How does it compare to other university such as Southampton, I have an offer from Southampton too for the same strategy and innovation MSc.

1. It's got its own cafe, lots of space, and another building has just been built which contains yet more teaching space for the Business School.
2. Decent, but for specifics I'd invite you to investigate rankings yourself.
3. Well no, but if you want to get placements in London you'll have to travel for interviews, etc. That's all.
4. I have no idea, I don't study MSc Global Strategy and Innovation I'm afraid.
5. Accommodation depends on what kind of accommodation you have. University halls are pretty standard (with variants of course), and private rental properties vary massively in terms of price, layout, conditions, etc.
6. You'd want to look at rankings again. I'd recommend checking out student satisfaction levels too.

Original post by Lily.manzur123
Do you know what the name of the building is where you study Nursing? I'm trying to choose accommodation and would like to be near by! Thanks!

I'd imagine it's the medical school right by the hospital. People doing that kind of course tend to stay at The Tannery; it's notoriously full of medics.

Original post by polyglot23
Hi,
If you do French law, do you also have French speaking exams/practice ?
If so what’s it like , what are the main spoken topics for your course ?

I took one module of French each year in my first and second years. That included a twice-weekly lecture, a weekly seminar, and a weekly conversation class (Travaux Pratique). I had a speaking exam in the first-year module and a recording to submit for my second-year one.

I kind of split my course into three parts: English law, French law, and French language. Which part would you like to hear about? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest