The Student Room Group

How would you feel if someone trusted you with their sexuality?

Say if someone came out to only you, and told you about how their family or other friends wont understand them and believe that you're the only person who will understand them and accept them for why they are?

How would you feel about the person who told you this?
Reply 1
I have had this happen. He was and still is my best mate, nothing changed really but I was pleased he trusted me with it

He eventually told everyone else, but it took him a few years
I'd feel exactly the same about them as before they told me.

Chances are, I'd know already without them having to tell me, if they were any sort of friend of mine.
Reply 3
Would you feel glad they trusted you, like feel special that they share everything with you?
I am now at an age when this is unlikely to happen. But when I was younger, I would have felt glad that they felt they could trust me with something like this.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Would you feel glad they trusted you, like feel special that they share everything with you?

I didn't feel 'special' but it does say a lot about the bond between the people. It is a good reflection on you and your character
I would feel honoured that i have been trusted with a secret such as this
Someone only trusted me because I told them first
Reply 8
It would be nice and I'm not straight myself so it might make them more comfortable. I love that there are many sexualities in the world so I would think anyone that wanted to tell me would feel safe doing it.
This has happened to me multiple times before - and given I'm not straight and have been involved in the LGBT+ community for many years I understood why they felt most comfortable with speaking to me.
Original post by Bio 7
It would be nice and I'm not straight myself so it might make them more comfortable. I love that there are many sexualities in the world so I would think anyone that wanted to tell me would feel safe doing it.

Yes, i feel if you knew that someone was not straight then it would be easier for you to come out to them, because you know they would understand what it would be like to be in your shoes and hopefully they would support you and be there for you!

Also how long would you say a person would struggle with their sexuality?
Can it be months, maybe years?
Maybe even if they decide to reject their feelings and marry the opposite sex... then find out that they indeed cannot 'change'.
Do you think it's possible for a person to find it difficult to accept themselves or for their family to accept them... and it take years?
Reply 11
Yes, i feel if you knew that someone was not straight then it would be easier for you to come out to them, because you know they would understand what it would be like to be in your shoes and hopefully they would support you and be there for you!

Also how long would you say a person would struggle with their sexuality?
Can it be months, maybe years?
Maybe even if they decide to reject their feelings and marry the opposite sex... then find out that they indeed cannot 'change'.
Do you think it's possible for a person to find it difficult to accept themselves or for their family to accept them... and it take years?

Someone people may never be comfortable if they hold certain beliefs.

I myself wondered what I was for about 4 years but I wouldn't say I struggled unlike many.
That's good! You sound like a lovely person:smile:
Original post by Bio 7
Someone people may never be comfortable if they hold certain beliefs.

I myself wondered what I was for about 4 years but I wouldn't say I struggled unlike many.

If someone is religous, so a Catholic or Muslim and know homosexuality is forbidden in their religion... but cannot change the way they feel (if they are not attracted to the opposite sex). What should they do?
They cannot understand why homosexuality would be a sin, and it is the only thing they disagree with in their religion. But cannot hurt their family either who are religious too.
Say if someone came out to only you, and told you about how their family or other friends wont understand them and believe that you're the only person who will understand them and accept them for why they are?

How would you feel about the person who told you this?

Okay as someone who has done this to someone when I first came out, as the person coming out it is an extremely vulnerable and personal side that they are sharing with you. I know they say that their friends/family won't understand abut 80% of the time they just aren't ready yet, most people don't just make an announcement to everyone at the one time.
Also I asked the guy I came out to first a while after I had come out to the rest of my friends how he felt when I came out to him (tbh it was me more apologising cause I felt like I put him in an awkward situation) but he said that he felt honoured that he was the first person to come out, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't view me any differently... except now we talk about girls together hahhaa. Hope this helps a little.
If your friend has come out to you my advice is to support the, NOT to out them to anyone (even accidentally), and don't make the uncomfortable eg making little comments or bringing it up all the time, because believe me as soon as you are fully out, it is usually the only thing people want to talk to you about at first.
Reply 15
Me and my friend did this to each other, we both came out to each other as we both understand and support each other, whilst the people surrounding us wouldn’t understand. Maybe that’s why they came out to you and you alone because they thought you were a good friend and wouldn’t judge them or look at them differently.
If someone is religous, so a Catholic or Muslim and know homosexuality is forbidden in their religion... but cannot change the way they feel (if they are not attracted to the opposite sex). What should they do?
They cannot understand why homosexuality would be a sin, and it is the only thing they disagree with in their religion. But cannot hurt their family either who are religious too.

Can't speak for Islam but in the case of Roman Catholicism, you have a few options:

1) Adhere to Church teaching completely and (in an attempt to make life easier for yourself), refrain from relationships altogether

2) Adhere to Church teaching completely (by not having sex with someone of the same gender), but having a chaste, non-sexual relationship with someone of the same gender (this would still be adhering to Church teaching, technically, though certain priests will no doubt frown about it!)

3) Have a sexual relationship with someone of the same gender. If you do this, it doesn't mean you're no longer a Roman Catholic: it means (if you believe the Church's teaching on this) that you are in a state of mortal sin and as such, should refrain from receiving the Eucharist. You can marry that person in a secular setting but your marriage will not be recognised by the Church.

The Church teaches you will probably go to Hell if you die in a state of mortal sin, but the Church cannot say for certain and has no "hard-fast" knowledge on this. The decision is up to God and God alone :yes:

Obviously the issue of family is very tricky and while I'm not sure of your own religious background, I have great empathy and sympathy for you (I'm a lesbian Roman Catholic) :hugs:

I would feel glad that they could trust me (although sad they couldn't tell anyone else). Having been someone who has been on the side of telling someone - it's very nerve racking in case anyone else found out before I was ready, but I trusted the person completely :smile: I've also been on the side of someone telling me, and of course would support anyone and keep it confidential.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending