The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Property development oxford Brookes or Portsmouth uni?

Basically I have put oxford Brookes as my first choice and Portsmouth my insurance choice but I am really worried that I no long want to go to oxford Brookes and wang to go Portsmouth.

I have heard that oxford Brookes course is really good for property develoment, they have a new modern building where lectures will take place however the nightlife is not that great and the type of people that go oxford Brookes are more posh. I feel like I won’t fit in and might be happier at Portsmouth as they have a great nightlife and I feel I will be able to get along with the people there much easier/fit in.

Need advice anything will help !!!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Basically I have put oxford Brookes as my first choice and Portsmouth my insurance choice but I am really worried that I no long want to go to oxford Brookes and wang to go Portsmouth.

I have heard that oxford Brookes course is really good for property develoment, they have a new modern building where lectures will take place however the nightlife is not that great and the type of people that go oxford Brookes are more posh. I feel like I won’t fit in and might be happier at Portsmouth as they have a great nightlife and I feel I will be able to get along with the people there much easier/fit in.

Portsmouth will be better
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Hi!

Congratulations on both of your offers to Oxford Brookes and Portsmouth!

I think it is definitely worth doing further research if you are already worrying about your decision.

For Oxford Brookes, a quick google search tells me that you can chat to a Student Ambassador, and possibly one who is already doing the course you are doing. You might even want to talk to ones not doing your course. You could ask them about the nightlife, what people do, where they go and try and what the student body is like. This might help you work out if you'll feel like you will fit in and be happy there. You might want to check out their Student's Union page and any of their social media to see what the vibe is like. Try and check out their university webpage for information about student life and any videos they might have, like interviews with students etc.

In terms of Portsmouth, if there are any questions you'd like me to answer, please fire away!

I hope some of that helps and best of luck with your course/your decision!

Danielle - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hi! :smile:

Congratulations too on both of your offers!!

Those are some great questions you are asking and are completely normal. I and most of my uni friends had the same worries myself before we joined Oxford Brookes University.

Danielle from the University of Portsmouth is absolutely right (Hi @University of Portsmouth Student Rep :smile:). We do have our great platform in which you are able to talk to current students that are studying the course that you are looking at to help you understand more about what life would be like as a Property Development student at Oxford Brookes, as I, unfortunately, do not study it, therefore, cannot tell you much about what the course is like. Chat to a Student Ambassador

However, I must say that through my three years at Oxford Brookes, in my experience not everyone at Oxford Brookes is very posh and the university is filled with people from everywhere across the UK and abroad. I found it much easier to meet people and make friends than I originally anticipated, especially because I had the idea that everyone would be very posh and I myself am not. I have found that there is a lovely combination of people from everywhere so it was very difficult to feel left out and made me more comfortable to be myself.

On terms of the nightlife in Oxford, we have a range of clubs and societies also do have their own club nights which are always fun. There are always plenty of places to go and things to do during the day and night in Oxford.

I have heard great things about the University of Plymouth too from friends of mine who studied there, but unfortunately do not know much about the nightlife and societies there but check out their University of Portsmouth Student's Union page and/or the @University of Portsmouth Student Rep will be happy to help you out.

I hope that this helped you too. Please if you have any more questions or queries about Oxford Brookes please don't hesitate to ask. :smile:

Thank you and all the best,

Shereese
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Eric
Portsmouth will be better

What makes you say that, anything will help 😇
Reply 5
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

Congratulations on both of your offers to Oxford Brookes and Portsmouth!

I think it is definitely worth doing further research if you are already worrying about your decision.

For Oxford Brookes, a quick google search tells me that you can chat to a Student Ambassador, and possibly one who is already doing the course you are doing. You might even want to talk to ones not doing your course. You could ask them about the nightlife, what people do, where they go and try and what the student body is like. This might help you work out if you'll feel like you will fit in and be happy there. You might want to check out their Student's Union page and any of their social media to see what the vibe is like. Try and check out their university webpage for information about student life and any videos they might have, like interviews with students etc.

In terms of Portsmouth, if there are any questions you'd like me to answer, please fire away!

I hope some of that helps and best of luck with your course/your decision!

Danielle - Official Student Rep :smile:

I need advice, I want to go to Portsmouth but my firm choice is Brookes what can I do
I need advice, I want to go to Portsmouth but my firm choice is Brookes what can I do

Hi!

I just checked the UCAS website and this is what it says:

- If you accepted your offers in the last 14 days, contact one of our advisers to make any changes to your replies.
- If it’s been more than 14 days since you replied to your offers, there is a more detailed process you need to follow. As you’ve agreed to a contract with your chosen unis, it may be possible, but we are unable to guarantee you can change them. You’ll need to speak to them about changing your replies, and then call us, to let us know what you want to do.
- No reply swaps are possible after 23 July 2020.

Definitely follow these steps and hopefully you only accepted it in the last few days so it will be an easier process. UCAS have a facebook and Twitter account which you can contact and they are doing live q&a's on Twitter but I recommend calling them to get help as soon as possible. The UK UCAS contact number for undergraduates is:0371 468 0 468. The international number for undergraduates is: +44 330 3330 230.

Hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest