The Student Room Group

Re a level maths

I am in year10 and will probably get a grade 6 or 7 if I really work hard. My favourite subject is Physics which im top set in and should get a 7 or more and I really want to do it at Uni . Now you need A level maths to do it. Should I take A level Maths? Im in set 3 out of 7 and will get a 6 or 7 at gcse unless all goes wrong. I love physics and really enjoy the maths in physics and have read a lot about physics and really enjoy the higher end maths of it - eg taking derivatives. Help???? I know for a fact that I want to do physics at uni, but unsure of if I can do Alevel maths! HELP

Scroll to see replies

Grade 9= C at A levels. You calculate yourself how much u need to pattern up to do it
No I got a 9 at GCSE and I’m working for an A, not gonna get an A*, as I’m not good at physics and a lot of the applied is physics mechanics so that will be good for you. A 9 at GCSE is more like A (some people A* but rare). A few people in my class who got a 6/7 are getting between a D-U but if you put in a lot of effort, and you do physics which is very good for a level maths, you could get a C. Idk you personally, so maybe a B. It depends on what you need. It’s very interesting, and probably worth it for you.
Reply 3
I got a 6 at GCSE and am now predicted an A at alevel, so I'd say it all depends how hard your willing to work
Reply 4
Original post by 0lives
I got a 6 at GCSE and am now predicted an A at alevel, so I'd say it all depends how hard your willing to work

what set were you in for GCSE. I would definitely work my arse off and probs get a tutor. IDK but to me it seems that maths is possible to succeed in if you really work hard.
Reply 5
Original post by DanaH111
No I got a 9 at GCSE and I’m working for an A, not gonna get an A*, as I’m not good at physics and a lot of the applied is physics mechanics so that will be good for you. A 9 at GCSE is more like A (some people A* but rare). A few people in my class who got a 6/7 are getting between a D-U but if you put in a lot of effort, and you do physics which is very good for a level maths, you could get a C. Idk you personally, so maybe a B. It depends on what you need. It’s very interesting, and probably worth it for you.

Yes I find applied maths quite easy. I mean for me I would hope that if I really work hard I could get an A. Do you not think that maths at a level is something you can do well in if you work really hard
Reply 6
Original post by mozino111
Grade 9= C at A levels. You calculate yourself how much u need to pattern up to do it

did you do a level maths?
To cope with alevel maths you should have high fluency in higher grade topics. Some people who get an 8/9 struggle with these topics and end up with Ds and Es despite hard work, while some go from a 7 at GCSE to an A*. It all depends on ability and potential, there is no direct translation from GCSE to alevel.
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
To cope with alevel maths you should have high fluency in higher grade topics. Some people who get an 8/9 struggle with these topics and end up with Ds and Es despite hard work, while some go from a 7 at GCSE to an A*. It all depends on ability and potential, there is no direct translation from GCSE to alevel.

ok. Is it possible to get an a through an ok amount of ability and a lot of hardwork?
Original post by JP2020
ok. Is it possible to get an a through an ok amount of ability and a lot of hardwork?

It really depends what an ok amount of ability is. It's hard to determine just from GCSE performance as I said. It isn't something to worry about right now, focus on getting a high grade in your GCSEs first.
i reckon with some hard work you can do it! there's people in my further maths class who got 7s at gcse, and are doing pretty well (we're only in yr12 tho). but yea, with some extra effort and help, i think you could do well at a level maths! definitely take it if you want to do physics at uni :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by _gcx
It really depends what an ok amount of ability is. It's hard to determine just from GCSE performance as I said. It isn't something to worry about right now, focus on getting a high grade in your GCSEs first.

thanks. do you know roughly what the grade boundaries are at a level?
Original post by JP2020
thanks. do you know roughly what the grade boundaries are at a level?

On my exam board it was around 60% A, 70% A*
Reply 13
Original post by JP2020
what set were you in for GCSE. I would definitely work my arse off and probs get a tutor. IDK but to me it seems that maths is possible to succeed in if you really work hard.

set 1 but it was a small school so there were only 4 sets, and yeah I'd say if you're getting 6/7s then you'll be fine along as you put in the work
Reply 14
Original post by casabonita
i reckon with some hard work you can do it! there's people in my further maths class who got 7s at gcse, and are doing pretty well (we're only in yr12 tho). but yea, with some extra effort and help, i think you could do well at a level maths! definitely take it if you want to do physics at uni :smile:

thanks. I just think it is a necessity for uni etc. What can I do to make sure I do really well at GCSE - I know I can get 7 if I work really hard, and what else can I do at home to help with A level when it gets to that time. Also what should I take with Maths and Physics? I love music and history . but also like chemistry .
A level maths is a joke
Reply 16
as in difficult easy, or not worth doing
Original post by JP2020
as in difficult easy, or not worth doing

Difficult. Got an 8 in GCSE but is such an annoying subject
Original post by JP2020
thanks. I just think it is a necessity for uni etc. What can I do to make sure I do really well at GCSE - I know I can get 7 if I work really hard, and what else can I do at home to help with A level when it gets to that time. Also what should I take with Maths and Physics? I love music and history . but also like chemistry .

exactly, i think the majority of unis require maths a level to do physics :smile:
to help with gcse, try some past papers and then practice the topics you get wrong. there's cgp white workbooks that just have loads of exam questions in, they really help and u can focus on what u find hardest if u want!
before a level, look at FSMQ additional maths - i studied this at the same time as gcses and it made yr1 a level maths so easy since the content is so similar :smile: it really gives you a good head start!
basically, just do as many practice questions as it takes until you feel confident on a topic - it works eventually and it's nice when it start to click
Reply 19
Original post by _gcx
On my exam board it was around 60% A, 70% A*

ok, seems manageable with hard work . Do you learn Differential Equations?

Quick Reply

Latest