The Student Room Group

Applying for Undergraduate Architecture at MIT or Cambridge

Hi, I am a Lower Sixth student in UK and I have always want to apply for architecture undergrads. I am doing IB HL maths and arts at school. I'm particularly interested in biomimetic, responsive architecture inspired by mechanisms in nature and I am doing projects related to this. I got 1500 at SAT but wish to take one more SAT and try SAT2 if coronavirus would allow me to. I know MIT application is intrinsically difficult and Architecture at Cambridge is particularly hard as its ratio is 12:1, but I still want to give it a shot. I currently do many service, projects and activities at school, some related and some are not related to architecture, including environmental committees, debating, mun, architectural society,etc. I do not have much experience of doing maths or physics competitions, is it necessary or particularly helpful for me to put hard work into academic competitions for applying an architecture degree at highly academic school like MIT or Cambridge? Or do they value more the art portfolio and projects I do? As coronavirus has disrupted many exams, how should I prove my academic skills?
Reply 1
Original post by LUCYYYYYYZZZZZZZ
Hi, I am a Lower Sixth student in UK and I have always want to apply for architecture undergrads. I am doing IB HL maths and arts at school. I'm particularly interested in biomimetic, responsive architecture inspired by mechanisms in nature and I am doing projects related to this. I got 1500 at SAT but wish to take one more SAT and try SAT2 if coronavirus would allow me to. I know MIT application is intrinsically difficult and Architecture at Cambridge is particularly hard as its ratio is 12:1, but I still want to give it a shot. I currently do many service, projects and activities at school, some related and some are not related to architecture, including environmental committees, debating, mun, architectural society,etc. I do not have much experience of doing maths or physics competitions, is it necessary or particularly helpful for me to put hard work into academic competitions for applying an architecture degree at highly academic school like MIT or Cambridge? Or do they value more the art portfolio and projects I do? As coronavirus has disrupted many exams, how should I prove my academic skills?

Beyond the academic requirements set out by each institution, academic activities are far less important than portfolios, where a portfolio is required. I know students who've gained entry to Cambridge based on the strength of their life drawing - all of your additional academic activities will have a useful place in your personal statement, but your personal statement sits behind your exam results and portfolio in terms of importance. As head of art for a prestigious private tuition agency I help students prepare their applications and portfolios for foundation and degree courses, including successful applications to the likes of the AA, Bartlett UCL, and Cambridge, as well as institutions in the US. If you would like to work with me on your portfolio and all aspects of your application get in touch. It sounds like you have the grades taken care of, and the raw ingredients for a good personal statement, but it's your portfolio that is going to make the difference for portfolio based architecture applications..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending