The Student Room Group

Ask an Occupational Therapy student

Due to my current levels of lockdown boredom whilst I await notification of my COVID placement, i will try and answer any questions for prospective OT students questions.

Im a 3rd year (of 4 years) OT mature student.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm an international mature student who would like to apply for the OT course . Since I have been graduated for over 15 years and a bit nervous with my qualification. Do you think the placement is tough? How would you describe it?
Original post by Coco6699
I'm an international mature student who would like to apply for the OT course . Since I have been graduated for over 15 years and a bit nervous with my qualification. Do you think the placement is tough? How would you describe it?

There are plenty of mature students on my course many of whom haven't studied for a while, we are all doing fine though. Mature students tend to do better on placements than young students who may find it all rather overwhelming. Placements shouldn't be too though but educators expectations can vary so it can be rather stressful if you have an educator who leaves you to it a lot. On placement just ask lots of questions and get stuck in and give things a go when asked. I have enjoyed most of mine.
Reply 3
Original post by mathmo8
There are plenty of mature students on my course many of whom haven't studied for a while, we are all doing fine though. Mature students tend to do better on placements than young students who may find it all rather overwhelming. Placements shouldn't be too though but educators expectations can vary so it can be rather stressful if you have an educator who leaves you to it a lot. On placement just ask lots of questions and get stuck in and give things a go when asked. I have enjoyed most of mine.

Do you think the human anatomy is tough ? Which placement do you like most? Have you been placed in a hospital /clinic ? Any interesting experience to share with us?
Human anatomy depends on your assessment. if you do an exam its not too bad but you will need to know more. I did it as a viva we were asked to describe the functioning of certain systems, organs or joints and was asked 3 out of the full 9 set. You need to dedicate lots of time to knowing it the second you know which will be required I passed fine. it's not as hard as the nursing students one in my uni.

5 placements at my uni 1-1 week, 1,5 weeks and the rest are all 8 weeks- this will widely vary between unis. I've been to a few different placements so far but prefer mental health.
Reply 5
thanks so much for your kind reply. You are really nice. I have tried to find out the exact of a student role, can u describe part of your typical tasks in a mental health institution, for example.
Original post by mathmo8
Human anatomy depends on your assessment. if you do an exam its not too bad but you will need to know more. I did it as a viva we were asked to describe the functioning of certain systems, organs or joints and was asked 3 out of the full 9 set. You need to dedicate lots of time to knowing it the second you know which will be required I passed fine. it's not as hard as the nursing students one in my uni.

5 placements at my uni 1-1 week, 1,5 weeks and the rest are all 8 weeks- this will widely vary between unis. I've been to a few different placements so far but prefer mental health.

this was explained so well
is the course challenging or manageable?
Reply 8
How would you actually describe the role of the OT. It’s a bit of a joke among AHPs that if physios, psychologists, SLTs and nurses can’t handle it, toss it to the OTs and they’ll have a go. Even the OTs that I work with joke that they couldn’t describe their job to a five year old and even they don’t always understand what their precise role is. Nevertheless, we all value them even though we’re never sure of their precise remit! Could you summarise the role of the OT in a nutshell?
Original post by nishaohemaaa
is the course challenging or manageable?

Manageable, just be proactive
Original post by giella
How would you actually describe the role of the OT. It’s a bit of a joke among AHPs that if physios, psychologists, SLTs and nurses can’t handle it, toss it to the OTs and they’ll have a go. Even the OTs that I work with joke that they couldn’t describe their job to a five year old and even they don’t always understand what their precise role is. Nevertheless, we all value them even though we’re never sure of their precise remit! Could you summarise the role of the OT in a nutshell?

That's more of a difficult one, we do see many different people, it really depends on the area of practice.
Original post by mathmo8
That's more of a difficult one, we do see many different people, it really depends on the area of practice.

mental health
Reply 12
Hi, I am really considering occupational therapy having been on a few types of work experience and experienced help from an OT myself in the past which was fantastic. Having studied natural sciences at university it would be a big change, but one that is exciting - However I wondered if you would mind telling me a little about the topics you actually study on the degree (And how scientific/biological/written/mathematical/psychological the experience feels overall) thank you so much for the kindness with which you started this conversation :smile:
Original post by mathmo8
Due to my current levels of lockdown boredom whilst I await notification of my COVID placement, i will try and answer any questions for prospective OT students questions.

Im a 3rd year (of 4 years) OT mature student.

hi i am 33 and have an interview for occupational therapy tomorrow. Can you remember the interview process and what kind of questions they asked you? thankyou.
Original post by Coco6699
thanks so much for your kind reply. You are really nice. I have tried to find out the exact of a student role, can u describe part of your typical tasks in a mental health institution, for example.

I'll just post my experience, might help. I was on a mental health placement (inpatient) over the summer. I had two educators, one of which was based on the female ward and the other on the male picu ward. Some of the things I had to do included carrying out assessments e.g. Initial assessments/ adls. I also ran groups on the ward and assisted with taking patients to activities outside of the ward. There was also things like referrals, creating treatment plans and attending/ contributing to mdt meetings. Also presenting a case study about one of the patients I worked with using the OT process and whatever model that placement used. I personally enjoyed the mental health ward out of all my placements. Although that could be because I am more interested in that area. Hope this gives you a rough idea :h:
Original post by Aztec Chic
I'll just post my experience, might help. I was on a mental health placement (inpatient) over the summer. I had two educators, one of which was based on the female ward and the other on the male picu ward. Some of the things I had to do included carrying out assessments e.g. Initial assessments/ adls. I also ran groups on the ward and assisted with taking patients to activities outside of the ward. There was also things like referrals, creating treatment plans and attending/ contributing to mdt meetings. Also presenting a case study about one of the patients I worked with using the OT process and whatever model that placement used. I personally enjoyed the mental health ward out of all my placements. Although that could be because I am more interested in that area. Hope this gives you a rough idea :h:

Hey,

Although I didn't ask the question this was actually really helpful for someone who's considering OT. I am also interested in the mental health side of OT. Did you find during the course that the physical health/general medicine areas were focused on more or equally to mental health? Also, would you say there's many opportunities to help patients psychologically/with emotional difficulties rather than with just practical problems they have?

Hi in interested in OT. How much of it is biology and how hard is the biology part? Do you also learn about sensory issues, learning disabilities and autism/adhd. Also at the end of your degree do you get to focus on a specific part of OT? Like for example i would preferably like to work with children and teens with sensory problems and learning disabilities, but is it possible to have an area of focus? Or would you have to work with all kinds of patients x
Original post by ConfusedPsych
Hey,

Although I didn't ask the question this was actually really helpful for someone who's considering OT. I am also interested in the mental health side of OT. Did you find during the course that the physical health/general medicine areas were focused on more or equally to mental health? Also, would you say there's many opportunities to help patients psychologically/with emotional difficulties rather than with just practical problems they have?

Hey no worries,

I would say it felt like it was slightly more focused on the physical side of things. Although this could be because it felt like there was a lot more to learn. Also with placement there is much more variety and conditions to explore for physical. This is probably why it's easier to get physical placements.

With the emotional side of things I would say it stars with the person wanting to help themselves. Only then can you really begin to plan, implement and see progress. This still takes a lot of time in mental health especially when you have relapses. The individuals environment is a big factor because they may want to improve but if they can't get out of where it all began then it's just a cycle.

I'm not great at explaining things but I hope that kinda made sense. Hopefully I didn't waffle too much lol.
Original post by Aztec Chic

thanks for sharing your experience , it is great to hear it in such a detailed ways :smile:
does anyone know how hands on Occupational therapy is? as in do you have to assist with baths/showers and toileting? also what is the job market like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending