The Student Room Group

Is it ok for Christians to marry outside their religion?

I'm Buddhist by the way.

Scroll to see replies

ideally no.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm Buddhist by the way.

I think so
I think so

Since when?
Reply 4
ideally no.

Original post by TheStarboy
Since when?

Yh but if two people love each other, then why not?
Should religion get in the way or why can't they marry but still keep their respective religion?
It’s a hard one because ideally you’re meant to grow spiritually together. However the bible does say that one persons faith can carry it for both of them.
Yh but if two people love each other, then why not?
Should religion get in the way or why can't they marry but still keep their respective religion?

yeh thats fine if you want to be together but the person isnt a religious christian if they marry someone who isnt christian
yeh thats fine if you want to be together but the person isnt a religious christian if they marry someone who isnt christian

It’s more about their respective religions clashing than anything else
Yes.
Although fundamentalists christians and many religious hardliners despise interfaith marriage and all who support them.
For example, Buddhism and Christianity are both very similar but yet still very different as opposed to Christianity and Islam. The values thought in Islam are very similar to Christianity.

It’s a hard one because ideally you’re meant to grow spiritually together. However the bible does say that one persons faith can carry it for both of them.

I don't know much about what certain religions think about homosexual couples but if today's society accepts homosexuality, can't marrying someone who belongs to another religion be ok? They still get to keep their religious beliefs separately?
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
Although fundamentalists christians and many religious hardliners despise interfaith marriage and all who support them.

For example, Buddhism and Christianity are both very similar but yet still very different as opposed to Christianity and Islam. The values thought in Islam are very similar to Christianity.

Buddhism is quite similar to Sikhism and Hinduism than Christianity but I don't think that should matter?
I'm Buddhist by the way.

It depends on the people and how intensely religious they are. Some Christians will think it's never okay, others will be okay with it.

My mother is a socially conservative catholic married to a militant atheist.
She is committed to her religion but does not impose it upon others.

yeh i said this is common but religious officials wont see her as super religious because interfaith or marriage with atheists is frowned upon
I don't know much about what certain religions think about homosexual couples but if today's society accepts homosexuality, can't marrying someone who belongs to another religion be ok? They still get to keep their religious beliefs separately?

There’s a difference between social and religious beliefs. Just because society accepts it doesn’t mean religion does too

You see that is what I want. People should be allowed to follow whatever they believe in and never be forced into a situation to give up on their belief for love
You see that is what I want. People should be allowed to follow whatever they believe in and never be forced into a situation to give up on their belief for love

its like saying people should be allowed to have open relationships and still be called religious christians. it doesnt work that way tbh
Yes.

You are very extreme in your views and what you say aren’t you? That’s far from being a fundamentalist or a religious hardliner.
The thing is that’s Lukewarm Christianity though, you accept the scriptures you like but oppose the ones you disagree with. Yes God has given us Freewill to love and be with anyone we want, however when you get married you’re meant to be one with Christ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending