The Student Room Group

Am I making a mistake on what I'm picking for A-Levels?

I'm a Year 11 student that'll be moving on to Sixth Form next year, but I'm really worried that I've made a mistake in picking my A-Levels ;;

I'm currently planning to do Maths, English Language, Psychology and Art & Design. I haven't taken Art before (I took Product Design at GCSE), but I've been told that I need it if I want to go into Architecture.

I'm kinda scared that if I end up not liking Art and dropping it, I'll be left with three A-Levels that don't really help me qualify for any specific course at uni. And I don't really know if my current artistic skill will even be enough to get a good enough grade in Art, since I didn't do Art GCSE.

I've been a bit stressed about this for a while, so I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice on this ;;
Reply 1
Hey! So at my college we had the option to swap subjects if we had a change of mind up until about mid October of first year, I’d check out if your prospective college has similar arrangements. It was very common for people to do this and they didn’t end up far behind.

And in terms of options and career I would suggest doing whatever you enjoy and are good at, you don’t usually need specific subjects to do a certain degree as long as you get good grades. Maybe have a look at some uni websites to see if they do require a certain subject.

All in all as long as you get good grades you should be able to progress to where you want to be. Try not to stress too much, what’s meant to be will happen and it’ll all work out in the end!
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply ;;

My college is a bit of a weird one when it comes to trying to switch subjects because every one is sorted into a block for timetabling. But I'll definitely follow your advice and ask about whether swapping is possible!

When it comes to doing stuff I enjoy, technically they're all subjects I mostly enjoy, but art for me right now is just a hobby and I don't really draw in a realistic style, which I know for certain that the teachers at my school hate. I'm just hoping that I can wing it and learn everything along the way ;;
Reply 3
There’s nothing wrong with trying something new! Our timetables were in blocks too but they somehow sorted it :smile:
Original post by BitteRabbit
I'm a Year 11 student that'll be moving on to Sixth Form next year, but I'm really worried that I've made a mistake in picking my A-Levels ;;

I'm currently planning to do Maths, English Language, Psychology and Art & Design. I haven't taken Art before (I took Product Design at GCSE), but I've been told that I need it if I want to go into Architecture.

I'm kinda scared that if I end up not liking Art and dropping it, I'll be left with three A-Levels that don't really help me qualify for any specific course at uni. And I don't really know if my current artistic skill will even be enough to get a good enough grade in Art, since I didn't do Art GCSE.

I've been a bit stressed about this for a while, so I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice on this ;;

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/subjects/architecture

You don't need Art - some unis just want to see a portfolio - check the link above.
Original post by BitteRabbit

English is really easy and fun, deffo take it!
you'll learn about accents and why people talk differently etc
Learn how to write articles and the coursework are fun
Feel free to PM for any other questions about Language
Reply 6
Original post by exams6700
English is really easy and fun, deffo take it!
you'll learn about accents and why people talk differently etc
Learn how to write articles and the coursework are fun
Feel free to PM for any other questions about Language

I agree! I was unsure about taking English Lang because I didn’t really like it at GCSE, I took it because I did well. But I found it so interesting and helpful across my other subjects! Would recommend!
Reply 7
What would interest you at university if you didn't choose to take architecture?
Original post by Amyljax
I agree! I was unsure about taking English Lang because I didn’t really like it at GCSE, I took it because I did well. But I found it so interesting and helpful across my other subjects! Would recommend!

It's a bit different to GCSE's but in a good way!
Are you in A2? Have you done the courseworks?
Reply 9
It's a bit different to GCSE's but in a good way!
Are you in A2? Have you done the courseworks?

Yeah i’m in A2 so should have been sitting my exams in May, done all the coursework! And yes different in a good way for sure :smile:
Original post by Amyljax
Yeah i’m in A2 so should have been sitting my exams in May, done all the coursework! And yes different in a good way for sure :smile:

What did you do for investigation?
What did you do for investigation?

It was based on gender identity! Basic I know :smile: But it was the easiest to find good sources for
Original post by ajj2000
What would interest you at university if you didn't choose to take architecture?

Hmm, I was interested in graphic design and marketing for a while, but I haven't done much research into the latter.
Original post by Amyljax
It was based on gender identity! Basic I know :smile: But it was the easiest to find good sources for

Yeah that must've been easy! Wb for original writing?
Yeah that must've been easy! Wb for original writing?

So I did an article on climate change sort of counteracting youth strikes. I agree with striking but I needed an original argument so I pretended to have that viewpoint haha!
Original post by Muttley79
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/subjects/architecture

You don't need Art - some unis just want to see a portfolio - check the link above.

Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of unis also accept portfolios. The only issue with that is is that I don't really know how to make a good portfolio or what should be on it since I have no experience with them.
Reply 16
I've just finished year 13 so I can give you some basic advice that I wish I'd have known when I was picking my subjects.
So it's obvious you definitely need Maths to get into uni and if your interests are stuff like graphic design and architecture you probably need Art to create a portfolio centred around architecture, art is really liberal so you can literally do anything but its also very coursework heavy.
All of my art friends are swamped with work and if you haven't taken it for GCSE you won't know the basics and it will be quite hard to catch up, on the other hand as long as you focus on producing good quality coursework and developing your own style you can maybe get a good grade in it. Art is not the same as graphic design.
But like I've said, Art is fun but it's also very hard work, especially if you're already not too sure if you're going to like doing it.
It's also not a requirement to do architecture so you could not do art and create a portfolio in your own time which would be entirely possible.
However, I DO NOT recommend doing 4 subjects for A level, if you know that you want to drop one in the second year just drop it already because there is no point wasting time you could of spent revising for more important subjects.
Also 4 subjects takes up a LOT of time so you'll more easily fall behind (plus your doing maths which is super hard, believe me I know) so maybe pick 3???
btw psychology is a relatively easy subject just remember to revise all the case studies properly and you'll get an A

Quick Reply

Latest