The Student Room Group

Ask an American anything

Literally anything. I’ll help you survive our college system or explain our politics. Whatever you want!

Scroll to see replies

Taco or burrito?
Original post by emmageddon
Literally anything. I’ll help you survive our college system or explain our politics. Whatever you want!

Is Obama an American citizen?

Why did you vote that half wit trump into power
Reply 4
Original post by NathanAtro3
Taco or burrito?

Tacos but not American tacos - ACTUAL tacos haha
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
Is Obama an American citizen?

Yes 100% hate to break it to everyone
can you boost your grade if a teacher likes you? your school system seems lit
Reply 7
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Why did you vote that half wit trump into power

Most of us didn’t. If you come here you’ll quickly learn that the majority of the country despised him more than you can possible imagine. Our political system hasn’t really changed since we broke from the UK so our electoral college system gives a lot of power to rural areas which overwhelmingly vote red 🤷*♀️
Reply 8
Original post by MoonlightRain
can you boost your grade if a teacher likes you? your school system seems lit

Mmm it depends. In high school and middle school you can get away with that occasionally depending on the teacher but definitely less so in university. Also it’s usually not a wide margin; just an extra point or two for not being an awful student.
Why do you like guns so much?
Why are you alcoholic lightweights?
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Why do you like guns so much?

I don’t see the appeal but technically the only reason we became so adamant about them to begin with was because we put an amendment in our constitution saying we should have them to defend against the British government. Now it’s just out of hand and poorly regulated and we have people with semi-automatics “protesting” outside state capitals. Please send help. We tried the whole independence thing and we clearly messed it up.
I don’t see the appeal but technically the only reason we became so adamant about them to begin with was because we put an amendment in our constitution saying we should have them to defend against the British government. Now it’s just out of hand and poorly regulated and we have people with semi-automatics “protesting” outside state capitals. Please send help. We tried the whole independence thing and we clearly messed it up.

Because none you could beat us in hand to hand combat. Imagine living in a place where you go to school get shot, go to watch a film get shot, go to the store get shot...lol **** that.
Original post by StinkyJumper
Why are you alcoholic lightweights?

Only 7.8% of us are alcoholics compared to your 12% 🤷*♀️
Only 7.8% of us are alcoholics compared to your 12% 🤷*♀️

I don't mean the % of people who are alcoholics. I mean why do Americans have rubbish alcohol tolerances?

You aren't as cool as us Brits who get smashed at 14.
Reply 15
Why do your houses have no private gardens? I've looked at street view of American suburbs and it seems like you just have open lawns... how do you know which bit of land you own?

Not sure if this is the kind of place you live though
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Because none you could beat us in hand to hand combat. Imagine living in a place where you go to school get shot, go to watch a film get shot, go to the store get shot...lol **** that.

Hmm didn’t realize military prowess was assessed in hand to hand combat ability 🧐 someone ought to tell all the MMA fighters that it’s their time to shine.

It sucks. Having lockdown drills sucks. Going to movie theaters afraid of being shot sucks. My side wants guns to be regulated; the other side disagrees so we don’t get anything done.
Original post by StinkyJumper
I don't mean the % of people who are alcoholics. I mean why do Americans have rubbish alcohol tolerances?

You aren't as cool as us Brits who get smashed at 14.

I’ve never heard this stereotype not gonna lie. Also I’ve been drinking in the UK and I kept up with everyone and I barely drink so idk fam we just aren’t as dependent on alcohol I guess 💁*♀️
Original post by NewAlt
Why do your houses have no private gardens? I've looked at street view of American suburbs and it seems like you just have open lawns... how do you know which bit of land you own?

Not sure if this is the kind of place you live though

Most houses do not have walls separating our front lawns but usually there is a barrier of some sort. Either the turf ends, the garden has a boundary of stones, or there’s some natural barrier between your front yard and the one next to you. Some lawns have fences but that’s in deep suburbia. Also we have backyards that are usually 100% fenced in and that’s our “private garden”.
Are you left-wing or right-wing? Why?

Quick Reply

Latest