The Student Room Group

Child nursing or adult

So I originally applied for children’s nursing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
But I did not get the offer for the University I really wanted to go to for child nursing I got an offer for adult. Now I know everyone will say don’t go because it’s not what you originally applied for ,but I know I’ll get the best nursing career from this university. I have no idea if I can be a child nurse with an adult nurse degree (unless it just means it’s general) I’m really unsure of what to do
Reply 2
I just don’t want to regret the decision I make
Reply 3
I’m sorry you didn’t get the course you applied for.. however, I do believe that adult nurses can work in paediatrics and it is easier to convert from adult to child rather than the other way round. Child and adult nursing are very different; but I have seen that adult nurses can sometimes apply to work on children’s wards, whereas child nurses cannot apply to work with adults.
I hope this makes sense.
I wouldn’t not be disheartened by their decision; it could be that with your interview they believed you would be better suited with adults. It does not mean you cannot work with children. If I had been turned down for child and got offered adult I would have taken it as I’m still in the road to being where I want to be eventually. Child nursing is the most competitive course to get onto with very minimal places in majority of universities. It is something you should definitely consider and take it as a positive that the university see you having the qualities required for nursing..
hope this helps

Danielle
Reply 4
Thank you so much, it’s just confusing as I have offers for child nursing but this was one of the best unis for nursing. I was told I might have to pay for a extra course to also have child nursing qualification. So should I accept the adult offer ?? Thank you again
Reply 5
Which university is it for?
If you have offers for child nursing and that’s the route your heart lies with I would accept one of those.. but on the other hand, of you love a certain uni and have the opportunity to follow a nursing route then it’s totally up to you.. you have to think realistically about travel and placements. Doing adult nursing won’t stop you being a child nurse in the future. I believe you can pay for a short course to convert.
At least you have offers.
Original post by JADTRI
Thank you so much, it’s just confusing as I have offers for child nursing but this was one of the best unis for nursing. I was told I might have to pay for a extra course to also have child nursing qualification. So should I accept the adult offer ?? Thank you again

I'm now in the same position and interested to know what you did in the end and whether you are happy with your decision?
Reply 7
Original post by JADTRI
But I did not get the offer for the University I really wanted to go to for child nursing I got an offer for adult. Now I know everyone will say don’t go because it’s not what you originally applied for ,but I know I’ll get the best nursing career from this university. I have no idea if I can be a child nurse with an adult nurse degree (unless it just means it’s general) I’m really unsure of what to do

Don’t worry about it. I have applied for adult nursing as well. When doing getting my personal statement reviewed at college I got told that adult nursing course is now general nursing. So you will still be able to do children nursing with additional training as they are both very similar.
What university are you all going to and if your there what university are you at and can you please explain how placement works
Reply 9
Original post by freddie343
What university are you all going to and if your there what university are you at and can you please explain how placement works

I am aiming for BCU and what I got told regarding placement is that you are given placement by the uni.
Ok thanks you when are you starting
When are you starting
Ok thanks you when are you starting

September what about you
Next year
Will u let me no how if goes and how placement is and what you did during placement
Next year

January or September?
September 2021
Original post by Jessela5
I am aiming for BCU and what I got told regarding placement is that you are given placement by the uni.

Hi!
I’m also hoping to start at BCU in september for adult nursing ? what position in nursing are u hoping to study ?
Original post by FaithOdu
Hi!
I’m also hoping to start at BCU in september for adult nursing ? what position in nursing are u hoping to study ?

I am want to study adult nursing. I start in September 2020. What a about you
Original post by Jessela5
I am want to study adult nursing. I start in September 2020. What a about you

The same ! Are u finishing college or international ?

Quick Reply

Latest