The Student Room Group

Happy St George's Day! Relevant/obsolete?

As many celebrate St George's Day, many have called into question the relevance of the day, especially many people wary of the connotations of a Anglo-patriotism as opposed to towards the UK as a whole.

Is it acceptable to proud of England and English culture, like on St Patrick's/Andrew's Day, the difference in tone from the left seems to be very different when concerning today.

Scroll to see replies

Traces of the cult of St George predate the Norman Conquest, in 9th-century liturgy used at Durham Cathedral, in a 10th-century Anglo-Saxon martyrology.

He received further impetus when the Crusaders returned from the Holy Land in the 12th century. At the Battle of Antioch in 1098, St George, St Demetrius and St Maurice were said to have been seen riding alongside the crusaders, and depictions of this event can be seen in a number of churches.

King Edward III (reigned 1327–77) was known for promoting the codes of knighthood and in 1348 founded the Order of the Garter. During his reign, George came to be recognised as the patron saint of the England.
18FD2B27-DC6D-4063-86B5-20F84EEA0814.jpg.jpeg
It is thought he was a Roman officer of Greek descent from Cappadocia who was martyred in one of the pre-Constantinian persecutions, and also the patron saint of Ethiopia, Georgia, and Catalonia.

Is it OK whilst distancing yourself from the racism which many like to associate with English nationalism in recent decades while celebrating England and English culture like on St Patrick's Day/St Andrew's Day...
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Is it OK to distance yourself from racism

... You're seriously asking if it's ok to distance yourself from racism?

Or do you mean is it ok to ignore that the day has been used by racists in the past?
Original post by Drewski
... You're seriously asking if it's ok to distance yourself from racism?

Or do you mean is it ok to ignore that the day has been used by racists in the past?

lmao sorry should have worded that better, i meant while knowing its past use by jobless skinheads, is it still OK for England to celebrate today as a celebration of English culture and ideals.
lmao sorry should have worded that better, i meant while knowing its past use by jobless skinheads, is it still OK for England to celebrate today as a celebration of English culture and ideals.

We need to take back St George’s Day from those skinheads and turn it to a day to celebrate a new kind of patriotism. That's the only way England will be able to celebrate its own culture and ideals.
It is only relevant to me if I get the day off.
You should be proud of where you come from, there’s nothing wrong with celebrating where you come from or being patriotic. Some people on twatter today are saying stuff like ‘I’m not proud of being English bla bla bla or he was Turkish you know bla bla’. It really is a shame when you can’t even celebrate the country of your birth without some moron criticising you for it.

You know, it’s possible to be patriotic and also not a racist. What a state the western world has become. Lefties really are just the worst. If your not proud to be an Englishman then feel free to emigrate somewhere else, we won’t miss you. I’m proud of this countries history but I also realise the British empire did some really bad things in its past. People wonder why conservatives win the general elections? It’s because of these lefty idiots who hate their country - the conservatives are the silent majority, reading twatter a day before the general election I was sure labour was going to win because it looked like everyone was voting corbyn, but after the results I realised the lefty’s just screech loudly and they aren’t a majority at all. I’m sad to see this country go this way...
Original post by Hudds999
You should be proud of where you come from, there’s nothing wrong with celebrating where you come from or being patriotic. Some people on twatter today are saying stuff like ‘I’m not proud of being English bla bla bla or he was Turkish you know bla bla’. It really is a shame when you can’t even celebrate the country of your birth without some moron criticising you for it.

You know, it’s possible to be patriotic and also not a racist. What a state the western world has become. Lefties really are just the worst. If your not proud to be an Englishman then feel free to emigrate somewhere else, we won’t miss you. I’m proud of this countries history but I also realise the British empire did some really bad things in its past. People wonder why conservatives win the general elections? It’s because of these lefty idiots who hate their country - the conservatives are the silent majority, reading twatter a day before the general election I was sure labour was going to win because it looked like everyone was voting corbyn, but after the results I realised the lefty’s just screech loudly and they aren’t a majority at all. I’m sad to see this country go this way...

Agree, St Patrick, born in Roman Britain, thought to be captured by a group of Irish pirates
St Andrew, modern day Israel, whose relics where thought to have been brought from Constantinople to St Andrews.

Just odd, how many people cannot/will not accept people celebrating today as being prideful in England and English culture, without associating with racism/xenophobia, quite sad really imo
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
The common sentiment that the historically dominant culture is not allowed to be proud of and celebrate its heritage is simply unfair. I'm a huge enthusiast of the Celtic languages and cultures, so I celebrate St. David's Day even though I'm not Welsh, but an English person has just as much right to wave the Cross of St. George on the 23rd April as a Welsh person does Y Ddraig Goch on the 1st of March. We can't have cultural diversity if one group is made to feel guilty about their roots. The problem is that English nationalism tends to come with a lot more racist baggage than Welsh nationalism does, and that's what has got to change. But marginalising those who are proud to be English as xenophobes isn't going to help.
(edited 3 years ago)

You had a good point before you dwindled into a pointless rant about lefties and Corbyn and labour. Maybe you should not make everything about division and generalisations if you want to be listened too.
Original post by TheStarboy
You had a good point before you dwindled into a pointless rant about lefties and Corbyn and labour. Maybe you should not make everything about division and generalisations if you want to be listened too.

I’m speaking my mind.
I’m speaking my mind.

And i’m speaking mine. Not everything is about ’lefties’ or Corbyn or Conservatives. No need ruining a potential discussion with unnecessary rants.
Just celebrate Shakespeare's birthday instead
Original post by TheStarboy
And i’m speaking mine. Not everything is about ’lefties’ or Corbyn or Conservatives. No need ruining a potential discussion with unnecessary rants.

No not everything is about ‘lefties’ etc. But the point I was making has everything to do with lefties. These mad lefties are the ones who are saying that celebrating St. George’s day is racist and that they aren’t proud to be English. So this discussion has everything to do it’s lefties, whether you like it or not.
couldn't care less, tbh
No not everything is about ‘lefties’ etc. But the point I was making has everything to do with lefties. These mad lefties are the ones who are saying that celebrating St. George’s day is racist and that they aren’t proud to be English. So this discussion has everything to do it’s lefties, whether you like it or not.

What about the Tories who say immigrants shouldn’t celebrate St George’s Day? Maybe I should counter your point with that? And which lefties are you talking about? I know many who have no problem with the day.

You’re spot on.
(edited 3 years ago)
He received further impetus when the Crusaders returned from the Holy Land in the 12th century. At the Battle of Antioch in 1098, St George, St Demetrius and St Maurice were said to have been seen riding alongside the crusaders, and depictions of this event can be seen in a number of churches.

Was he the one who found the holy hand grenade of Anitoch?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk&app=desktop

Quick Reply

Latest