The Student Room Group

How will practical uni courses cope with working online due to Covid-19?

Will probably have to change the courses round a bit for instance journalism will have to be done on phones and online resources.

How will practical uni courses cope with working online due to Covid-19?

Will probably have to change the courses round a bit for instance journalism will have to be done on phones and online resources.
Most journalism is already done using phones/online?
Original post by PQ
Most journalism is already done using phones/online?

Yes I believe all courses are now online, I'm just worried about if we still are in September and after for practical courses like Media, Journalism and many more
Original post by ARWilkinson
Yes I believe all courses are now online, I'm just worried about if we still are in September and after for practical courses like Media, Journalism and many more

I meant even before the lockdown - most practical journalism is conducted by phone and online.
Original post by PQ
I meant even before the lockdown - most practical journalism is conducted by phone and online.

Oh right, sorry, yeah I get you. In that case then it might be ok in some aspects. As I don't study Journalism I'm not sure what other areas your course might entail that will be affected by this. But any kind of studio work and learning the use of equipment will be tricky to get around during this.
Hi @ARWilkinson,

I'm a current Journalism student at Coventry University. We've had to resort to using Skype or other video platforms interviews for video interviews and social media/email for print. For whoever was the newsreader, weatherman etc for a news broadcast, they had to pre-recored their news packages from home and send them to the editor to compile. For our next term we will be learning mostly from Moodle and/or Aula until things settle down. I imagine for other media departments in different universities, things will be similar and courses will be made to be more theoretical than practical, especially courses which involve filming.

Hope that helped a little!

Gugu Mashava
Journalism
Coventry Campus
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi @ARWilkinson,

I'm a current Journalism student at Coventry University. We've had to resort to using Skype or other video platforms interviews for video interviews and social media/email for print. For whoever was the newsreader, weatherman etc for a news broadcast, they had to pre-recored their news packages from home and send them to the editor to compile. For our next term we will be learning mostly from Moodle and/or Aula until things settle down. I imagine for other media departments in different universities, things will be similar and courses will be made to be more theoretical than practical, especially courses which involve filming.

Hope that helped a little!

Gugu Mashava
Journalism
Coventry Campus

Hi, thanks for you reply, yes I suppose that is a good way of working short term for a practical course, a few shows on TV have broadcast from their own homes too, so hopefully that should be a good way round it. Hopefully it won't be like that for the whole of the next year either, I don't mind it for just a term or something. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending