The Student Room Group

How important is an art A-level for an architecture degree?

So I'm currently in year 12 doing chemistry, maths and psychology for my A-levels and considering applying for an architecture course next year. As you can see my A-levels are definitely not art related and I know that having an art A-level is prefered in this degree, so I wanted to know if it is really is that important and will this degree be harder without any qualifications in art?
Original post by aniyahh
So I'm currently in year 12 doing chemistry, maths and psychology for my A-levels and considering applying for an architecture course next year. As you can see my A-levels are definitely not art related and I know that having an art A-level is prefered in this degree, so I wanted to know if it is really is that important and will this degree be harder without any qualifications in art?

Are you putting a portfolio together? Have you looked at what unis will want if you haven't got Art?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Are you putting a portfolio together? Have you looked at what unis will want if you haven't got Art?

No I haven't started putting a portfolio together yet but I will soon if that will be enough for the uni. I have looked at a few unis and they don't say I have to have an art a level, but strongly advise it and now im not sure if i would even be able to do an architecture degree without struggling. Thats also why im wondering how important it is to the unis and if im less likely to be able to do the degree compared to a student who already has an art qualification.
Original post by aniyahh
No I haven't started putting a portfolio together yet but I will soon if that will be enough for the uni. I have looked at a few unis and they don't say I have to have an art a level, but strongly advise it and now im not sure if i would even be able to do an architecture degree without struggling. Thats also why im wondering how important it is to the unis and if im less likely to be able to do the degree compared to a student who already has an art qualification.

Read this: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/subjects/architecture

This will tell you more - would a product design course suit you better?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Read this: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/subjects/architecture

This will tell you more - would a product design course suit you better?

Oh great thanks! I dont think i would be as interested in a product design course but i will look into it :smile:
Original post by aniyahh

Hey I'm in pretty much the same position as you, in year 12 doing Biology, Psychology and Maths. I think getting onto an architecture course without art is certainly doable, but you'll need to work harder than most on the portfolio part of your application. I've spoken to a bro on here who didn't take art a-level and got onto the ucl msci course for architecture, he did take a year out though. It's something that you can do, but it'll take a lot of hard work. PM me if I can help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ninjafortnite
Hey I'm in pretty much the same position as you, in year 12 doing Biology, Psychology and Maths. I think getting onto an architecture course without art is certainly doable, but you'll need to work harder than most on the portfolio part of your application. I've spoken to a bro on here who didn't take art a-level and got onto the ucl msci course for architecture, he did take a year out though. It's something that you can do, but it'll take a lot of hard work. PM me if I can help :smile:

Oh that's great news, I am willing to put work into creating a good portfolio so that should be fine. Have you started your portfolio? I haven't even done art as a GCSE so all the work I put in would have to be new pieces or old sketches I've done. I've also heard that the unis don't want work based on bulidings or structures and would want just general work that you've done, do you think that's the best way to go about it? I've only thought about architecture recently so I probably need to catch up on research and speed up more portfolio lol.
Original post by aniyahh
Oh that's great news, I am willing to put work into creating a good portfolio so that should be fine. Have you started your portfolio? I haven't even done art as a GCSE so all the work I put in would have to be new pieces or old sketches I've done. I've also heard that the unis don't want work based on bulidings or structures and would want just general work that you've done, do you think that's the best way to go about it? I've only thought about architecture recently so I probably need to catch up on research and speed up more portfolio lol.

Hey, yes I have started my portfolio, I took time to ensure that my drawing skills were good enough and have planned it all out. As for what unis are looking for, I don't think they're after tonnes and tonnes of drawings and models of buildings. The way I see it, crazy unique drawings and pieces with meaning that you can explain with confidence will be of better value. If you look on the site, there's a lot of example portfolios to compare with and see how your ideas fare. There's a couple of good videos on youtube as well in regards to architecture application portfolios :smile:.
Reply 8
Original post by ninjafortnite
Hey, yes I have started my portfolio, I took time to ensure that my drawing skills were good enough and have planned it all out. As for what unis are looking for, I don't think they're after tonnes and tonnes of drawings and models of buildings. The way I see it, crazy unique drawings and pieces with meaning that you can explain with confidence will be of better value. If you look on the site, there's a lot of example portfolios to compare with and see how your ideas fare. There's a couple of good videos on youtube as well in regards to architecture application portfolios :smile:.

Oh okay thankyou this was helpful! Goodluck with your portfolio and applications :smile:
Original post by aniyahh
Oh okay thankyou this was helpful! Goodluck with your portfolio and applications :smile:

You too! Feel free to pm if you need help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending