The Student Room Group

If you were to divide the entire UK into north and south, where would wales be?

Places like Cardiff are more southerly than a lot of places along the east coast like Southend, yet aren't exactly "southern" or "northern" in culture. so if you had to choose north or south, where would it go? I personally guess geographically anyway you could split wales into to with north wales being in the north given its proximity to cheshire and merseyside and south wales being in the south due to its proximity to britsol ect

Scroll to see replies

It would remain Wales? I don't really hold with further ignoring what is left of the Welsh national identity by mixing them in with the English.

I'd chuck it in with Scotland.
Think Wales has it's own social and cultural divisions based on history, industry and landscape. The English North-south divide is at best a blunt generalisation for England, not really applicable to the other countries in the uk.
Original post by vicvic38
It would remain Wales? I don't really hold with further ignoring what is left of the Welsh national identity by mixing them in with the English.

In terms of government and statistical data, Wales is the same as England (they are included as "England and Wales".

Wales has been closer to England than the other nations since King Henry VIII annexed it.
Why are we doing this again...it's not Korea or confederate USA.
The West
Reply 6
Wait, North Wales in the north and South Wales in the south?! Now that's big brain stuff.
Reply 7
It depends where you draw the dividing line :biggrin:
south
Reply 9
Wales, especially south Wales, is more like the South-West. I honestly don't think you can divide England into simple North and South, it is a lot more complex.
Wales would be Wales, but if we were to go back to the good old days before the pandering to Welsh nationalists it would be part of the North according to the traditional socioeconomic N/S divide, which does largely hold to this day
Reply 11
Original post by Ferrograd
Places like Cardiff are more southerly than a lot of places along the east coast like Southend, yet aren't exactly "southern" or "northern" in culture. so if you had to choose north or south, where would it go? I personally guess geographically anyway you could split wales into to with north wales being in the north given its proximity to cheshire and merseyside and south wales being in the south due to its proximity to britsol ect

Pretty easy, its be in the south, along with Liverpool/Manchester/Huddersfield/Leeds/Hull.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_points_of_the_United_Kingdom

How do you work out that geographically any of it would be in the north? :s-smilie:
(edited 3 years ago)
Wales is Wales. The whole North vs South thing is bs. I think the best way to do it is to have West Country, Metropolitan, East Anglia, The Midlands, The North, Scotland and Northern Ireland (or just Ireland if you are a Republican).
We could settle it the old fashioned way :smile:

Original post by vicvic38

Hang on. Re-read that.

You don't want to ignore Welsh identity by lumping them in with anyone else.
So you want to lump them in with Scotland.
:confused:
Reply 15
Original post by Drewski
Hang on. Re-read that.

You don't want to ignore Welsh identity by lumping them in with anyone else.
So you want to lump them in with Scotland.
:confused:

:lol:

some galaxybrain **** going on in this thread, eh
Dairn Sairth.
This is the same strong stuff being smoked that led to Britain drawing the disastrous lines in India, Israel, Africa etc... old habits die hard lol
Original post by Surnia
It depends where you draw the dividing line :biggrin:

Let's make it squiggly and diagonal..lol
Original post by gjd800
:lol:

some galaxybrain **** going on in this thread, eh

You never told me why you got held up by the police...are we ignoring each other now...
Reply 19
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
This is the same strong stuff being smoked that led to Britain drawing the disastrous lines in India, Israel, Africa etc... old habits die hard lol

To be honest it just seemed like good old fashioned laziness for most of them :tongue:
Although in fairness we were far from the only offender with the French and Russians being particular offenders followed by the Italians, Germans, Americans etc. further down the list.

Quick Reply