The Student Room Group

History of geography

Okay so I'm so conflicted right now because Idk which one to choose but for Geo we have to go on a residental which makes up 30% of our final grade but for history theres nothing like that its just paper exams which one shall i pick tho
Reply 1
I took both at GCSE and my personal favourite was history though geography had some perks.

As you said, geo had a residential trip and though trips are fun, you shouldn't base your option on a trip. I found geography easier than history, most of it is just common sense, especially in paper 3 (eg if gov has less money, they can spend less money on public services). However, there was so many case studies that it was just ridiculous. I'm not sure if it's the same for other schools but my school had 10+ case studies and diagrams that you had to remember off by heart with so many figures and pieces of information in it. However once you remembered everything in geography, you can just write everything you know out.

In history, I found the content so much more interesting and I looked forward to the lessons. Though yes it can be content heavy, as long as you don't leave it to the last minute you'll be fine. You don't actually need to remember all the dates in history, just generally what happens after each other and the ability to twist something to fit a question. However, since there are only 5-6 questions per paper, if you don't have a clue for a question you could lose up to 20 marks but you can easily waffle with the prompts they give you for the higher marked questions.

Both subjects are good in their own way and would be beneficial. Do you know what you want to do at A-levels or in the future?
Original post by ohnojay
I took both at GCSE and my personal favourite was history though geography had some perks.

As you said, geo had a residential trip and though trips are fun, you shouldn't base your option on a trip. I found geography easier than history, most of it is just common sense, especially in paper 3 (eg if gov has less money, they can spend less money on public services). However, there was so many case studies that it was just ridiculous. I'm not sure if it's the same for other schools but my school had 10+ case studies and diagrams that you had to remember off by heart with so many figures and pieces of information in it. However once you remembered everything in geography, you can just write everything you know out.

In history, I found the content so much more interesting and I looked forward to the lessons. Though yes it can be content heavy, as long as you don't leave it to the last minute you'll be fine. You don't actually need to remember all the dates in history, just generally what happens after each other and the ability to twist something to fit a question. However, since there are only 5-6 questions per paper, if you don't have a clue for a question you could lose up to 20 marks but you can easily waffle with the prompts they give you for the higher marked questions.

Both subjects are good in their own way and would be beneficial. Do you know what you want to do at A-levels or in the future?

na its just that i'd rather sit exams rather than go to a trip for a grade, also what are the case studies about is it a mixture of human and physical geography? what trip did u go on btw? and for a levels i'm going to take chemistry,physics,maths, and rs
Reply 3
Original post by jazminmaya2004
na its just that i'd rather sit exams rather than go to a trip for a grade, also what are the case studies about is it a mixture of human and physical geography? what trip did u go on btw? and for a levels i'm going to take chemistry,physics,maths, and rs

Yes, the case studies I had were for both but every school does different case studies. For geography I went on a residential trip to Dorset and for history I went to Berlin.
Original post by ohnojay
Yes, the case studies I had were for both but every school does different case studies. For geography I went on a residential trip to Dorset and for history I went to Berlin.

do you have to go to the trips? i wish i did history and geo bc i reallydk which one to do but i cant since i do triple :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by jazminmaya2004
do you have to go to the trips? i wish i did history and geo bc i reallydk which one to do but i cant since i do triple :frown:

No the trips were optional, the only mandatory one was the fieldwork trip. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend doing geo and history together as they're both more content heavy subjects and if you have the 2 subject tests on the same day it was horrendous.
Original post by ohnojay
No the trips were optional, the only mandatory one was the fieldwork trip. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend doing geo and history together as they're both more content heavy subjects and if you have the 2 subject tests on the same day it was horrendous.

i cant anyways as i have to pick between the two i might pick geo then if there are spaces or i'll have to do history which i dont mind
I did both and preferred history. Which is odd given I’m due to be starting studying science at uni in Oct. history is much more predictable while geog can have some crazy mark schemes. I’d do history it’s quite fun - like a big story plus there’s more resources for it

Quick Reply

Latest