The Student Room Group

Uni transfer

Has anyone transferred uni directly into second year?? I’ve emailed the uni I want to go to and they’ve told me I can apply however I’d like to know if anyone has done this and what it is like I.e is it difficult to make friends, did you struggle to get caught up on your course
Hey, I'm in that process now. I have an unconditional offer for second year entry. I am dreading the making new friends and all of that. At the end of the day what you are learning and what they are learning is new to them too. So I would say you all learn at the same pace assuming it's the same course you are transferring onto.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I'm in that process now. I have an unconditional offer for second year entry. I am dreading the making new friends and all of that. At the end of the day what you are learning and what they are learning is new to them too. So I would say you all learn at the same pace assuming it's the same course you are transferring onto.

Hi, thanks for the reply, it’s the same course but some of the modules are slightly different. E.g. a module I took in first year is in second year at the uni I would be transferring to. What did you do about accommodation, is your new uni letting you in halls? And I’m guessing you’ve had to apply through UCAS as that’s what I’ve been told to do, did you have to redo your personal statement and references or is the application process different for second year entry?
Hi, thanks for the reply, it’s the same course but some of the modules are slightly different. E.g. a module I took in first year is in second year at the uni I would be transferring to. What did you do about accommodation, is your new uni letting you in halls? And I’m guessing you’ve had to apply through UCAS as that’s what I’ve been told to do, did you have to redo your personal statement and references or is the application process different for second year entry?

I applied through ucas and tweaked my personal statement as I have more knowledge/ experience with the course than before. So included what aspects of the course I enjoyed as well as what I learnt etc. My original references were from college so it is likely they will want a reference from your current uni as it's more up to date. So the ucas side of things is pretty much the same, just make sure for year of entry you put two. Also make sure that unis you apply for accept second year entry.

The next part is sending the new uni your transcript and course specifications etc. I took a year out so I already had my grades. If you're currently in first year then it's probably slightly different. They might want you to achieve a certain grade for your modules. Next the uni need to see if the modules you learned match up to what they teach. If it's all good, it's interview then possible offer. This is roughly how my process went anyways.

Accomodation is where I'm at now. I'm lucky my previous uni and the one I plan on going to don't limit halls to first years. Worth checking to see how their accommodation works. Only issue I'm having this time around is applying for accommodation with the risk of not being able to move in September because of this corona. Don't want to paying for accommodation if teaching stays online.

Hope it makes sense, feel free to ask anything else :h:
Reply 4
I applied through ucas and tweaked my personal statement as I have more knowledge/ experience with the course than before. So included what aspects of the course I enjoyed as well as what I learnt etc. My original references were from college so it is likely they will want a reference from your current uni as it's more up to date. So the ucas side of things is pretty much the same, just make sure for year of entry you put two. Also make sure that unis you apply for accept second year entry.

The next part is sending the new uni your transcript and course specifications etc. I took a year out so I already had my grades. If you're currently in first year then it's probably slightly different. They might want you to achieve a certain grade for your modules. Next the uni need to see if the modules you learned match up to what they teach. If it's all good, it's interview then possible offer. This is roughly how my process went anyways.

Accomodation is where I'm at now. I'm lucky my previous uni and the one I plan on going to don't limit halls to first years. Worth checking to see how their accommodation works. Only issue I'm having this time around is applying for accommodation with the risk of not being able to move in September because of this corona. Don't want to paying for accommodation if teaching stays online.

Thank you that’s all super helpful!
I'm transferring to second year this September. I'm also unsure how making friends will be like.

Since you took a year out, how old are you currently? Also how do you feel about the making friends thing?
Since you took a year out, how old are you currently? Also how do you feel about the making friends thing?

I'm currently 22. My course is one of those subjects that has more mature people than average, so the age range will vary. Halls on the other hand I am the oldest amongst my flatmates but they seem nice enough. I just let them get on with getting hyped about freshers as they're first years haha.

I was nervous about making friends and meeting new people. Now that my teaching will be online that anxiety has dipped quite a bit as I won't really be seeing anyone. I also plan to stay at home and continue working even though they won't let me cancel my accommodation.

I just plan to keep my head down this year. Think I'm more worried about getting back into studying. Feel like I've forgotten everything, then to get motivated is another issue.

How do you feel about transfering?
I'm currently 22. My course is one of those subjects that has more mature people than average, so the age range will vary. Halls on the other hand I am the oldest amongst my flatmates but they seem nice enough. I just let them get on with getting hyped about freshers as they're first years haha.

I was nervous about making friends and meeting new people. Now that my teaching will be online that anxiety has dipped quite a bit as I won't really be seeing anyone. I also plan to stay at home and continue working even though they won't let me cancel my accommodation.

I just plan to keep my head down this year. Think I'm more worried about getting back into studying. Feel like I've forgotten everything, then to get motivated is another issue.

How do you feel about transfering?

I'm also 22. I feel like I'll be older than everyone and not sure if I'll be able to make any friends :/ I have an online freshers welcome week this month which sounds like it's only supposed to be for first years. Not really seeing any use of me attending and meeting first year freshers.

To be honest, since I haven't had a typical uni journey experience since sixth form I haven't been able to make actual friends. I was hoping that this transfer would give me an opportunity to make finally make friends. Looks like I was wrong.
I'm also 22. I feel like I'll be older than everyone and not sure if I'll be able to make any friends :/ I have an online freshers welcome week this month which sounds like it's only supposed to be for first years. Not really seeing any use of me attending and meeting first year freshers.

To be honest, since I haven't had a typical uni journey experience since sixth form I haven't been able to make actual friends. I was hoping that this transfer would give me an opportunity to make finally make friends. Looks like I was wrong.

Sorry for the late response. I also had an online induction/ welcome week although it was for the first years, so not really relavant to me. I start my proper classes next week. I know how you feel, once you've had some lectures maybe try and see if there are any group chats for your course. On my VLE there is a class list and a discussion page, you could also ask on zoom on the bit where you can send messages to your class.

Try not to get too down about it, I'm assuming you're staying home and not in accommodation? Perhaps after the first semester things will go back to face to face and you can begin to develop friendships. It's still early days so give it some time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest