The Student Room Group

Humanities or stem?!?

Hello, is anyone willing to share their opinions on the pros and cons of humanities and stem. Which one they think is a better career and lastly the top subjects within these two categories.
Thankyouu
Depends... do you want a job or not?

I’m kidding, just go with what you’re more interested in. STEM has much better careers on the whole imo, and STEM degrees tend to be more ‘useful’ in terms of the job you’ll go on to do. But don’t do it if your passion is for humanities subjects.
To be frank, career prospects for STEM degrees aren't necessarily better than for humanities degrees. You may have a slightly wider range of options available to you, but for both areas recruiters are looking primarily for relevant work experience/placements/internships and how well you can communicate these as being relevant to the skills they are looking for in interview. Medicine (and perhaps dentistry or vet med) is the only degree where you are guaranteed a job at the end.

The degree (and if relevant, subject and/or classification) is largely a tick box exercise to make sure you have one. Everyone is getting a degree these days, and for "generalist" roles (e.g. most grad schemes in business/finance/etc, and roles in law/media and so on - even some software engineering grad schemes) they don't care what subject you did your degree in. CS degrees, often touted as a shortcut to a guaranteed job and obscene riches, actually have some of the worst grad prospects out of all subjects, to the point the government commissioned an inquiry into the matter.

Unless you specifically want to go into a field where you need a particular background for (e.g. engineering), you would be best off choosing a degree you have a vested interest in, so you can enjoy the three years taken to earn it. At least then when you're looking for a job (and signing on for JSA/UC) after the course, you'll at least have fond memories of your uni experience...
Original post by artful_lounger
To be frank, career prospects for STEM degrees aren't necessarily better than for humanities degrees. You may have a slightly wider range of options available to you, but for both areas recruiters are looking primarily for relevant work experience/placements/internships and how well you can communicate these as being relevant to the skills they are looking for in interview. Medicine (and perhaps dentistry or vet med) is the only degree where you are guaranteed a job at the end.

The degree (and if relevant, subject and/or classification) is largely a tick box exercise to make sure you have one. Everyone is getting a degree these days, and for "generalist" roles (e.g. most grad schemes in business/finance/etc, and roles in law/media and so on - even some software engineering grad schemes) they don't care what subject you did your degree in. CS degrees, often touted as a shortcut to a guaranteed job and obscene riches, actually have some of the worst grad prospects out of all subjects, to the point the government commissioned an inquiry into the matter.

Unless you specifically want to go into a field where you need a particular background for (e.g. engineering), you would be best off choosing a degree you have a vested interest in, so you can enjoy the three years taken to earn it. At least then when you're looking for a job (and signing on for JSA/UC) after the course, you'll at least have fond memories of your uni experience...

Yes, I agree with this.
It depends on what you want to do in the future. I personally think STEM degrees are, on the whole, more valuable. But others may disagree, for example if you want to go into law/media as stated above. The most important thing is to do something you enjoy and are good at. No point trying to force yourself through a 4 year STEM degree when your passion is for humanities.
Humanities are the best subjects hands down, they help you to gain an understanding of the world
Original post by Greywolftwo
Humanities are the best subjects hands down, they help you to gain an understanding of the world

An interesting take. To me, physics is the best way to truly understand the universe. It helps us explain everything.
Humanities are definitely useful for some things but, to me, their significance pales in comparison to what STEM has given us.

Anyway, that's a debate for another day haha. Probably not what OP is after.
Original post by 0
An interesting take. To me, physics is the best way to truly understand the universe. It helps us explain everything.
Humanities are definitely useful for some things but, to me, their significance pales in comparison to what STEM has given us.

Anyway, that's a debate for another day haha. Probably not what OP is after.

I agree, humanities more from a sociological standpoint
Original post by Greywolftwo
I agree, humanities more from a sociological standpoint

What we need at the moment is a little less navel gazing and a bit more science. Stem degrees all the way
Original post by squeakysquirrel
What we need at the moment is a little less navel gazing and a bit more science. Stem degrees all the way

Woah hold on there, such subjects could help prevent future wars! If you gain an understanding of past societies and civilisations and learn of the past mistakes then such can be avoided in the future

Quick Reply

Latest