The Student Room Group

A level Law or A level Psychology

Which a level is better to take? Which one is easy/harder? Does psychology have complicated maths? Which a level fits in with A level English Literature and History and is it worth doing Law as the subjects that I'm doing can go into Law? Can I become a Psychologist with A level Psychology or do you need science based subjects? I'm really stuck on which one to do? Thank you.
Original post by DeItaReality
Which a level is better to take? Which one is easy/harder? Does psychology have complicated maths? Which a level fits in with A level English Literature and History and is it worth doing Law as the subjects that I'm doing can go into Law? Can I become a Psychologist with A level Psychology or do you need science based subjects? I'm really stuck on which one to do? Thank you.

The one you enjoy more. Both are hard and it's relative to each person. I dont think psychology has complicated maths since its mostly essay. What aspects do you mean by "fits in with English Literature and History". It's worth it if you enjoy it at that a level because it could make you more passionate about law but it could also do the opposite since A level is different to degree level - it's only worth it if you can enjoy it and get the high grades for law. For BA Psychology, I dont think you need psychology but for Bsc (which you probably need), most likely yes but I think Psychology is seen as a science subject but I recommend you research the entry requirements for the unis you want to go.
You won't need maths to do psychology at A Level, likewise you can get onto an undergraduate psychology degree without psychology
Original post by PetitePanda
The one you enjoy more. Both are hard and it's relative to each person. I dont think psychology has complicated maths since its mostly essay. What aspects do you mean by "fits in with English Literature and History". It's worth it if you enjoy it at that a level because it could make you more passionate about law but it could also do the opposite since A level is different to degree level - it's only worth it if you can enjoy it and get the high grades for law. For BA Psychology, I dont think you need psychology but for Bsc (which you probably need), most likely yes but I think Psychology is seen as a science subject but I recommend you research the entry requirements for the unis you want to go.

I mean that which a level links to those subjects and is ideal. If I don't pick psychology would i still have good careers out of those subjects?
I mean that which a level links to those subjects and is ideal. If I don't pick psychology would i still have good careers out of those subjects?

Not many A level link with each other, even English lit and history doesnt really link unless you were studying topics in a similar time period, but for Psychology, I would say biology. Yes you would but definition of "good" really depends
if you want to do psychology at university you would probably need to take either biology or maths a level. History and English are good for law but you don't need to take law a level to do law at uni (I don't think many people do). Objectively psychology and law a level are probably a similar level of difficulty but if you're planning on doing law at uni then I would say pick the one that you think you would do the best in (maybe have a look at A-level past papers to see what the exams are like) because good grades are more important than the subjects you do. hope that helps :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Hi @DeltaReality

I did Psychology A-Level and it doesn't have complicated Maths at all. I really enjoyed the subject and personally found it quite easy.

As for your other questions, I really think you need to evaluate which subjects it is you enjoy most and which ones you might want to take into further study and a career. I believe there is no subject requirements for Law (double check this on Uni websites for Law subject requirements) and I think English Lit, History and Psychology are great subjects to have to go into Law.

As for going into Psychology, I'm not sure if you need to take Biology too. Have a look on Uni websites which you'd like to apply to and see what their subject requirements are for Psychology. If you don't need any science subjects, those 3 are great subjects to keep your options open for further study as they do relate to many different courses.

I know it's hard but try to think ahead about what you'd like to do as a career and see whether Psychology or Law inspire you the most. I hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest