The Student Room Group

Are you proud to be English?

Poll

Are you proud to be English?

Following on from St George's Day and various people saying they are/aren't proud to be English, I thought I'd do a poll to see what TSR thinks.

Personally, I am proud to be English and I'm proud of our values. Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

I am, to an extent. I don't like to get over the top though
Original post by statsboi2002

Good to hear your opinion.
I'm not. Considering how much pain the British have caused others through colonialism, which we should be taught at school.
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Following on from St George's Day and various people saying they are/aren't proud to be English, I thought I'd do a poll to see what TSR thinks.

Personally, I am proud to be English and I'm proud of our values. Thoughts?

Of course I am, why wouldn’t I be?
Original post by mozarelladippers
I'm not. Considering how much pain the British have caused others through colonialism, which we should be taught at school.

We are taught about it at school, at least I was
Original post by Greywolftwo
We are taught about it at school, at least I was

But were you taught about the cruel methods the British used or only the 'amazing' things that the british brought to other countries?
Yes, I’m proud to be English and I’m patriotic. A lot of people aren’t though and they’re usually far lefty weirdos who hate this country. Some of this weirdos have it in their head that if you celebrate St George’s day and are patriotic, you’re automatically a racist. They have it in their heads that if you celebrate St George’s day your celebrating the colonisation of the past and the old British empire. This is just false. Funny though, this **** never comes up on the Scottish, Welsh or Northern Ireland nationalist days. I think we’re losing our identity as a country and as a nation, and it’s a sad way to go.
Reply 8
Original post by statsboi2002

That's the one. No need to go mad about it.
But were you taught about the cruel methods the British used or only the 'amazing' things that the british brought to other countries?

I was taught about everything, including the use of concentration camps by the British in the Boer war
Of course I am, why wouldn’t I be?

Oikophobia is a thing unfortunately.

Most countries have committed atrocities.
Reply 12
Original post by Hudds999
Yes, I’m proud to be English and I’m patriotic. A lot of people aren’t though and they’re usually far lefty weirdos who hate this country. Some of this weirdos have it in their head that if you celebrate St George’s day and are patriotic, you’re automatically a racist. They have it in their heads that if you celebrate St George’s day your celebrating the colonisation of the past and the old British empire. This is just false. Funny though, this **** never comes up on the Scottish, Welsh or Northern Ireland nationalist days. I think we’re losing our identity as a country and as a nation, and it’s a sad way to go.

Yep. Spot on
I was taught about everything, including the use of concentration camps by the British in the Boer war

And you're still proud of being English?
Original post by YaliaV
Most countries have committed atrocities.

Agreed. But it can be argued that the British have committed a large proportion of these atrocities. The British have attempted or have successfully colonised around 90% of the whole world
For me, its not that I hate being British but I do not agree with or am not proud of the large majority of the things the British have done in the past.
For me, its not that I hate being British but I do not agree with or am not proud of the large majority of the things the British have done in the past.

So you’re saying if you were German you wouldn’t celebrate the day of German union?

Look, it would be hard to find countries that haven’t done shocking things in the past. Hitler (Germany), Ottoman Empire (Armenia genocide), Yugoslavia genocide, Belgians in the Congo, slave trade by most of Europe, Japanese war atrocities in China etc etc etc. But that’s in the past now...
Reply 17
Prefer to consider myself British but yes nevertheless :smile:
100% proud to be British.
Could not have been brought up in a better country.
Reply 19
Yes I'm proud. Our language dominates the world. We have a great & rich history, much greater than most countries of the world. Although we have done some atrocities, other countries have done far worse.

However, in recent years we have, in my opinion, degenerated (chavs, clothing, etc.) as a society. I hope I can rectify this in a small way with my future contributions to science.

Quick Reply

Latest