The Student Room Group

I’m not going to make it in life

I have no GCSEs or A levels and have no motivation to retake so that’s just shows that I’m not going to make it in life. It’s just kind of **** unfair because you have to get GCSEs if you want to make it in life or your life will be a disaster and I don’t know why it’s like that because surely there’s other people like me who have tried to pass their GCSEs but didn’t then lost motivation to do it. I just don’t know why your whole life gets determined when your are 15 or 16 years old, it’s just too young. I didn’t pass my GCSEs, I have no motivation to redo them and don’t have A levels or have no motivation to even start them so my life is going to be a disaster. I have been working towards passing my driving test which is also an essential skill in life but I am motivated to put my time, effort and money into that and once the tests are back I’m going straight in for one. I think the exams, school/college and driving are crucial if you want to make it in life and if you don’t get them you end up on the dole and if you are lucky you get a job in macdonalds or something. I just want to be like everyone around me and make it in life but I’m not going to do it, I’m just going to be in a low end job all my life that’s if I’m lucky, If not then I’ll have to go on the dole and if not that I’ll be homeless. It’s just depressing.

Scroll to see replies

Just set a goal for yourself and go with it.
'Making it in life' is subjective. What you consider 'making it' is different from someone else.
If GCSEs/A-level (academics) is what you want to prove to yourself you can achieve, as long as you are committed I am certain you'll be able to.
But don't feel pressure just because the majority of young people do it, you could 'make it' in something else, in a different way that doesn't involve academics, and I am not talking about a Macdonald's manager but if that's what you want to do then sure!!
There are plenty of people who have 'made it' without academics.
Stop looking around, and ask yourself what you genuinely want from life
Reply 2
Original post by bigrocks
Just set a goal for yourself and go with it.
'Making it in life' is subjective. What you consider 'making it' is different from someone else.
If GCSEs/A-level (academics) is what you want to prove to yourself you can achieve, as long as you are committed I am certain you'll be able to.
But don't feel pressure just because the majority of young people do it, you could 'make it' in something else, in a different way that doesn't involve academics, and I am not talking about a Macdonald's manager but if that's what you want to do then sure!!
There are plenty of people who have 'made it' without academics.
Stop looking around, and ask yourself what you genuinely want from life

There’s people like KSI, Deji, bugzy malone, joe weller who have made it successful but all of them are talented but I’m just not, I would love to make it on you but I don’t have the confidence to because if YouTube was that easy I’m pretty sure the whole world would all do that. Exams aren’t everything for the talented but for people like me they are
Original post by Anonymous
There’s people like KSI, Deji, bugzy malone, joe weller who have made it successful but all of them are talented but I’m just not, I would love to make it on you but I don’t have the confidence to because if YouTube was that easy I’m pretty sure the whole world would all do that. Exams aren’t everything for the talented but for people like me they are

Yes, it worked for those people, but I am sure they didn't sit thinking about their talents or trying to make profit to make it in life.
Your vital mistake is you are not asking yourself what you want from life.#
Everyone has something they're good at, but it's about less brooding about your talents, and doing more of what you want
Reply 4
Original post by bigrocks
Yes, it worked for those people, but I am sure they didn't sit thinking about their talents or trying to make profit to make it in life.
Your vital mistake is you are not asking yourself what you want from life.#
Everyone has something they're good at, but it's about less brooding about your talents, and doing more of what you want

I just don’t know what to do

Why do people like KSI, Deji...... make you feel inferior? Why mark yourself as a failure compared to them? Success like that is dependent on multiple factors including sheer chance.
What is success? How would you define success in another person?
It isn't a binary choice between getting good exam grades/ making it as a Celebrity OR you're a failure!!!
You need to start challenging the way you are thinking.
Start making realistic positive changes.
I have no GCSEs or A levels and have no motivation to retake so that’s just shows that I’m not going to make it in life. It’s just kind of **** unfair because you have to get GCSEs if you want to make it in life or your life will be a disaster and I don’t know why it’s like that because surely there’s other people like me who have tried to pass their GCSEs but didn’t then lost motivation to do it. I just don’t know why your whole life gets determined when your are 15 or 16 years old, it’s just too young. I didn’t pass my GCSEs, I have no motivation to redo them and don’t have A levels or have no motivation to even start them so my life is going to be a disaster. I have been working towards passing my driving test which is also an essential skill in life but I am motivated to put my time, effort and money into that and once the tests are back I’m going straight in for one. I think the exams, school/college and driving are crucial if you want to make it in life and if you don’t get them you end up on the dole and if you are lucky you get a job in macdonalds or something. I just want to be like everyone around me and make it in life but I’m not going to do it, I’m just going to be in a low end job all my life that’s if I’m lucky, If not then I’ll have to go on the dole and if not that I’ll be homeless. It’s just depressing.

You don't need qualifications (although that's an easier route IMO), but you do need motivation. There are plenty of self-made entrepreneurs out there.
Reply 7
Original post by glassalice
Why do people like KSI, Deji...... make you feel inferior? Why mark yourself as a failure compared to them? Success like that is dependent on multiple factors including sheer chance.
What is success? How would you define success in another person?
It isn't a binary choice between getting good exam grades/ making it as a Celebrity OR you're a failure!!!
You need to start challenging the way you are thinking.
Start making realistic positive changes.

I just want to be like ksi and Deji but like you say I need I need to be realistic
I just want to be like ksi and Deji but like you say I need I need to be realistic

But why do you feel the need to be like them?

I didn't say it was impossible, I said that you need to set small realistic goals. Small things can turn into big things.
Reply 9
But why do you feel the need to be like them?

I didn't say it was impossible, I said that you need to set small realistic goals. Small things can turn into big things.

You said I need to think of realistic goals so that means YouTube is not realistic
Me neither
You said I need to think of realistic goals so that means YouTube is not realistic

No, I said start by making realistic positive changes. The more things you do the more realistic more difficult things will become.
No, I said start by making realistic positive changes. The more things you do the more realistic more difficult things will become.

What sort of things would you say are realistic changes
What sort of things would you say are realistic changes

I don't know because I don't know you.
However this is good way of setting any form of goal to make sure its:
-Specific
-Measurable
-Achievable
-Relastic
-Time limited

First off get checked for depression to see if your lack of motivation is due to that.
Second I'd recommend focusing on getting your GCSE maths and English because they're the minimum you need for a lot of basic jobs.

Remember the most important step you can take is always the next one.

Good luck OP :smile:
Original post by Fujoshi
First off get checked for depression to see if your lack of motivation is due to that.
Second I'd recommend focusing on getting your GCSE maths and English because they're the minimum you need for a lot of basic jobs.

Remember the most important step you can take is always the next one.

Good luck OP :smile:

I have no motivation though
I don't know because I don't know you.
However this is good way of setting any form of goal to make sure its:
-Specific
-Measurable
-Achievable
-Relastic
-Time limited

I just don’t know as well
Go t
Original post by Amyljax
Go t

???

I'm late to the party but I came across your post and thought I could try and respond to your message from a different perspective.

I agree with you. I can imagine your life is depressing, especially when you explain your situation because you feel like you're trapped with no way out. However, you're allowing yourself to look at your life this way and measuring it against the societal norms of what it means to be successful. It's challenging, measuring yourself against academic standards because it's debilitating to your self-esteem and acts as a self-fulfilling prophecy that you don't need. Of course, to attain some level of success with academics is one thing, but it's another thing to know what you want out of life. Academics is not everything and being young and in this bubble of education where you're surrounded by exams, school and college don't help because that becomes your main focus. There is a life outside of academics and there are people who achieve success without getting high grades. That's determined by hard work, being able to work smart, and being able to put in the grind to get to where you want to be. You can achieve success in life provided you put in the work, the hours and the effort. Yes, you'll be starting from the bottom up, but everyone has to start somewhere to get to where they want to be, and getting to the top requires more than talent. Just because someone has talent, doesn't mean it will get them far. A lot goes on behind the scenes you don't see.

Yeah, it's a difficult place being in the situation you're in, but it gets better. Life gets harder and you have a choice to make things better. Okay, you're not where you want to be, but what's really stopping you? Cause to me, it sounds like your mindset. Find something that interests you, invest in yourself, work on yourself, find employment to support yourself while you work on improving yourself in the background, and start somewhere. Put yourself out there. It's okay if you don't have qualifications as long as you don't give up. Start focusing on the things that really matter, like consistency, self-discipline, self-awareness, etc.

You can learn anything and be capable of anything. It's how bad you want it.

Quick Reply

Latest