The Student Room Group

I don't understand rap and hiphop music?

A lot of people like rap and hip-hop music but I don't know why I don't feel the same about it. I have no clue what they are saying and English is my mother tongue. I also can not sing along to it or know it off by heart like some people.
People interact through common taste in music but I find it hard to connect with these genres in the same way :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rap and hip-hop is such a massive genre, there's probably something you might like. I listen to Ghostemane, Wicca Phase, Cold Hart, Horse Head, Døves, Lil Peep, JPDreamthug, Rozz Dyliams, Lil Lotus, Lil Aaron, Smrtdeath, etc. They vary from trap metal to more melodic to acoustic.
Reply 2
Original post by wynthnos
Rap and hip-hop is such a massive genre, there's probably something you might like. I listen to Ghostemane, Wicca Phase, Cold Hart, Horse Head, Døves, Lil Peep, JPDreamthug, Rozz Dyliams, Lil Lotus, Lil Aaron, Smrtdeath, etc. They vary from trap metal to more melodic to acoustic.

Are you from the UK?
Can’t lie it depends which artist you are talking about because if it’s Eminem then yesss 🙋*♀️100% and whether you mean grime. But for the other ones it’s just you. Plus if you don’t like it or understand it just don’t listen to it, just because everyone listens to it doesn’t mean you have to as well
I also find it all to be pretty awful. It’s not real music. When I’m drunk though I don’t seem to mind in the club, I just make up my own lyrics 😂.
Original post by Anonymous
I also find it all to be pretty awful. It’s not real music. When I’m drunk though I don’t seem to mind in the club, I just make up my own lyrics 😂.

What do you mean it’s not real music?
don't listen to it then...???
if you don't like it you dont like it :lol:
It's okay! Everyone has a different music taste. If you want meaning full lyrics, try listening to Tupac, NWA, Eminem, Joyner Lucas (Especially) and also xxxtentacion (but you might not understand what he's saying)
Original post by fabsfabulous12
What do you mean it’s not real music?

Rap only fulfils the rhythm section of music. There’s not a lot of melody and there’s not a lot of harmony. And thus, effectively, it is basically spoken rhythm. It’s not actually a form of music. It’s a form of rhythmic speaking. Thus, beyond the objectivity of me just not enjoying rap all that much, what I’ve said before is that rap is not music.
Reply 9
Original post by hunchoM
Are you from the UK?

Yes I am
Rap only fulfils the rhythm section of music. There’s not a lot of melody and there’s not a lot of harmony. And thus, effectively, it is basically spoken rhythm. It’s not actually a form of music. It’s a form of rhythmic speaking. Thus, beyond the objectivity of me just not enjoying rap all that much, what I’ve said before is that rap is not music.

hi ben shapiro :lol:

rap is music lol. singing, rapping and grunting all are just a different way of a specific instrument: the human voice. Are the sounds organized in a certain way? yes, so it's music.

Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t know this person who can’t say it with their chest is called Mozart or Beethoven.

Music is extremely subjective. Almost anything can be considered music as long as there is an audience who identifies it as music.
Yes I am

Listen to MHuncho :wink:
if you wanna get into it listen to songs by artists with small rap sections in
Original post by yotsr123
hi ben shapiro :lol:

rap is music lol. singing, rapping and grunting all are just a different way of a specific instrument: the human voice. Are the sounds organized in a certain way? yes, so it's music.

Glad you caught on, well done :smile:
I disagree, rapping and grunting are not music. You’re entitled to your opinion and so am I.
Original post by fabsfabulous12
Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t know this person who can’t say it with their chest is called Mozart or Beethoven.

I’m confused what point you’re trying to make. Are you saying that under my definition Mozart and Beethoven didn’t write music? If so that would be incorrect as their pieces consist of rhythm, melody and harmony.

Music is extremely subjective. Almost anything can be considered music as long as there is an audience who identifies it as music.

I disagree. I don’t know anyone who thinks the sound of smashing plates is music but if I decide to say I think it is it suddenly becomes music? Hmm, no I don’t believe in this whole identification thing. Again you’re entitled to your opinion, as am I.

somewhat true tbf
Glad you caught on, well done :smile:
I disagree, rapping and grunting are not music. You’re entitled to your opinion and so am I.

I’m confused what point you’re trying to make. Are you saying that under my definition Mozart and Beethoven didn’t write music? If so that would be incorrect as their pieces consist of rhythm, melody and harmony.

I disagree. I don’t know anyone who thinks the sound of smashing plates is music but if I decide to say I think it is it suddenly becomes music? Hmm, no I don’t believe in this whole identification thing. Again you’re entitled to your opinion, as am I.

What rap/hip hop music have you heard that contained the sound of smashing plates? Obviously you don’t like the music, fine but to insult it just because you don’t like it is just childish and quite frankly rude. Grow up!!!
ASAP Rocky 👋
Going back to the person that created this thread, if you really want to start understanding rap/hip hop just search up the lyrics and learn it. Then when you listen back to it you will understand what they are saying. Personally I’m used to people speaking fast so I just understand what artist are saying when they are talking fast, but not all rappers rap at a fast speed. It just depends on the artist’s style.

Quick Reply

Latest