The Student Room Group

I’m an inpatient on a psychiatric ward, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anonymous
What are your coping strategies? Why don't they let you use them? Are they unhealthy or something?

It is deemed a risk behaviour, but it helps me.
Posting this anonymously bc of the sensitive info.
This isn't a question, but I really hope you recover well from your current mental state. I had severe anxiety for a year (2017-18), including frequent anxiety attacks. After two rounds of therapy, I managed to recover and now have a stable mental state. I know that what you're going through rn is a lot more serious than what I went through, but I hope that you don't give up hope bc things do get better with the right help :smile:
Original post by Lostx
Stopped my meds and everything went down hill.

I’m sorry to hear that, be strong and try your best to get through. 🙏
Original post by Lostx
Clozapine
Aripiprazol
Venlafaxine
Lamotrigine

How are you finding it? Do you get any side effects?
Reply 44
Original post by glassalice
My mate was on cloz, she had to have weekly blood tests. 😬
Or do you mean olanzapine?

It’s only weekly until it reaches a therapeutic level. After that I think it’s monthly. I take clozapine.
Original post by Lostx
It’s only weekly until it reaches a therapeutic level. After that I think it’s monthly. I take clozapine.

Oh well at least it will change... Time of the ward is always a bonus
Original post by Lostx

You must have been sick for ages 😕. I hope it helps you, some people say it can be miracle like. Hang in there.
My Grandad had what at the time was termed 'Manic Depression'. When he was a young adult he got very sick like really really 'PICU style' manic. He struggled with things through out his whole life.

Despite this he lived a good life, he owned his own house, he got a first class chemistry degree, he had kids, he had an high paying job.

All I want to say is that there is always hope.
(edited 4 years ago)
i

Original post by Lostx
Meds

Wake up late because so sedated

Lunch (but I’m not eating atm)
Meds

Struggle throughout the day with horrible sh1t

Walk around listening to music

Tea meds

Locked out my room from 10 am - 10 pm! Ridiculous in my opinion.

Supper

Meds

Sleep

ooh locked out 10-10? that sucks! when i had my room locked it was 8-8 but breakfast started at 08:30 so i could usually just stay in my room til then
Original post by jupiiter
i

ooh locked out 10-10? that sucks! when i had my room locked it was 8-8 but breakfast started at 08:30 so i could usually just stay in my room til then

So if you're asleep when the lockout time is, do they just wake you up and kick you out of your bed? What are you meant to do throughout the day? Why won't they just allow you to sleep?
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
So if you're asleep when the lockout time is, do they just wake you up and kick you out of your bed? What are you meant to do throughout the day? Why won't they just allow you to sleep?

On some wards they just wait till you get hungry OR you might be told you have to be out in the day area for at least 4 hours before the time your leave is allocated if you want to use it. On others they get a team of men to drag you out of bed.
Reply 50

They are just mean so won’t let you sleep. On the other hand it could be due to sleep hygiene. They don’t want people to stay in bed all day because it is not conducive to good mental health.
Reply 51
Original post by glassalice
You must have been sick for ages 😕. I hope it helps you, some people say it can be miracle like. Hang in there.
My Grandad had what at the time was termed 'Manic Depression'. When he was a young adult he got very sick like really really 'PICU style' manic. He struggled with things through out his whole life.

Despite this he lived a good life, he owned his own house, he got a first class chemistry degree, he had kids, he had an high paying job.

All I want to say is that there is always hope.

I feel like nothing is ever going to change. I will be stuck in different hospitals forever. :frown:
Original post by Lostx

I feel like nothing is ever going to change. I will be stuck in different hospitals forever. :frown:

Everyone in hospital feels like that 90% of the time. However, one day (for some it take 6 months for some it takes 6 years+) EVERYONE gets discharged.
(edited 4 years ago)
Pics plz
Reply 54
Original post by ringspun
Pics plz

I don’t think we’re allowed to take pictures

for most of my admission last year i was in an eating disorder unit, so if your room had to be locked during the day (when i first arrived they only did it if based on your risk level, then later on they changed it to everyone during school/activity time) and you refused to come out for a meal you’d just be restrained and taken for an ng feed. if you were in your room when you weren’t meant to and refused to come out it would usually be the same thing, but that varied based on the staff in that day and your risk level.

we had a schedule, for most of the day school would be open but there were group therapy things you could go to as well. and if you had individual therapy that’d be on your timetable. in an edu a lot of your time is spent in ‘post meal supervision’, so everyone just had to sit in the dayroom/school after meals for an hour. really boring.
Original post by Lostx
I don’t think we’re allowed to take pictures

Damn it! I would risk though, but then I'm probably more crazy than you :wink:
Original post by Lostx
They are just mean so won’t let you sleep. On the other hand it could be due to sleep hygiene. They don’t want people to stay in bed all day because it is not conducive to good mental health.

But if someone is drowsy from their meds and can't get out of bed- what do they do? Drag you out and prop you up against something outside your room?
But if someone is drowsy from their meds and can't get out of bed- what do they do? Drag you out and prop you up against something outside your room?

Let you fall asleep in a chair.
At least ime.

OP: I really don't know how you manage for so long. I've stayed in some pretty dire hospitals and was begging to get out after 3 days. :hugs: Feel better soon.
Original post by Sabertooth
Let you fall asleep in a chair.
At least ime.

OP: I really don't know how you manage for so long. I've stayed in some pretty dire hospitals and was begging to get out after 3 days. :hugs: Feel better soon.

This!

Thinking of you too OP :hugs:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest