The Student Room Group

Is tanned skin really considered ugly in Japan?

Recently heard that having tanned skin or just darker skin than the usual fair skinned Japanese is considered a bad thing? Like they consider people who have tanned skin ugly? I've been interested in Japan and its culture for quite some time, however, after hearing this its put me off quite a bit, especially considering the fact that me myself, am naturally tan... This question is mostly referring to men, would Japanese women consider any naturally tanned Male ugly even if he's still handsome? or just in general, is having naturally tanned skin an ugly thing to Japanese people and if I was to ever visit Japan, would I receive a bad amount of racism for having tanned skin?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by unknown7823652
Recently heard that having tanned skin or just darker skin than the usual fair skinned Japanese is considered a bad thing? Like they consider people who have tanned skin ugly? I've been interested in Japan and its culture for quite some time, however, after hearing this its put me off quite a bit, especially considering the fact that me myself, am naturally tan... This question is mostly referring to men, would Japanese women consider any naturally tanned Male ugly even if he's still handsome? or just in general, is having naturally tanned skin an ugly thing to Japanese people and if I was to ever visit Japan, would I receive a bad amount of racism for having tanned skin?

In the uk, it has been considered unfashionable to have tanned skin. Hence the fashion for face whitening and parasols.
I guess most Japanese people would be far too polite to ever raise it as an issue, if you ever visit.
Reply 2
Rather depends on the person being questioned. Traditionally though it is a sign of low class and manual labour so make of that what you will.
Original post by Napp
Rather depends on the person being questioned. Traditionally though it is a sign of low class and manual labour so make of that what you will.

Oh, I see. Would it make a difference depending on how tanned the person is? I don't know if it changes anything but I am more of a light tan, if that makes any sense.

I tried finding an image that's the closest to my skin, here you go, it's pretty much exactly the same:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=naturally+tan+korean&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjksfyJsYDpAhWl2OAKHaHqAbMQ2-cCegQIABAB&oq=naturally+tan+korean&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQAzICCAA6BAgjECc6BggAEAgQHjoFCAAQzQI6BAgAEBg6BAgAEA1Q3BVY1ilglyxoAXAAeACAAbEBiAGGC5IBAzcuNpgBAKABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=PICiXuSjLqWxgweh1YeYCw&bih=734&biw=412&client=ms-opera-mobile&prmd=isnv#imgrc=5-KNAOeMTRPBfM

Not gonna lie though, this kind of makes me feel bad about my own skin colour, sorry if that seems weird
having tanned skin is definitely not considered 'ugly'. where did you hear it from anyway?
Reply 5
Oh, I see. Would it make a difference depending on how tanned the person is? I don't know if it changes anything but I am more of a light tan, if that makes any sense.

I tried finding an image that's the closest to my skin, here you go, it's pretty much exactly the same:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=naturally+tan+korean&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjksfyJsYDpAhWl2OAKHaHqAbMQ2-cCegQIABAB&oq=naturally+tan+korean&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQAzICCAA6BAgjECc6BggAEAgQHjoFCAAQzQI6BAgAEBg6BAgAEA1Q3BVY1ilglyxoAXAAeACAAbEBiAGGC5IBAzcuNpgBAKABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=PICiXuSjLqWxgweh1YeYCw&bih=734&biw=412&client=ms-opera-mobile&prmd=isnv#imgrc=5-KNAOeMTRPBfM

Not gonna lie though, this kind of makes me feel bad about my own skin colour, sorry if that seems weird

I'm afraid, not being any form of expert on modern Japanese culture, i couldnt really answer this question. Suffice it to say that that is a classical notion from there and i'm not certain whether it still holds to any major degree.
Original post by snap crackle pop
having tanned skin is definitely not considered 'ugly'. where did you hear it from anyway?

I read it from a stupid comment on a YouTube video lol but after doing some research I found out that was just a load of bs 🙄😂
Original post by Napp
I'm afraid, not being any form of expert on modern Japanese culture, i couldnt really answer this question. Suffice it to say that that is a classical notion from there and i'm not certain whether it still holds to any major degree.

After doing a bit of research on the matter, I found out it's quite the opposite nowadays. For men at least. Apparently some women there like it when the man has kind of a tan since it makes them look more masculine or something like that. Hearing that definitely helped with the stupid thoughts I was having about my light tan skin lol but I guess it's just a personal preference thing. 🤔

Anyways, thanks for your time, appreciate it
Original post by mqb2766
In the uk, it has been considered unfashionable to have tanned skin. Hence the fashion for face whitening and parasols.
I guess most Japanese people would be far too polite to ever raise it as an issue, if you ever visit.

Are you on drugs???

Having a tan in the UK is a priority for many white people... not many want to be pastey white coloured its not the Victorian era..

Anyway OP it’s common knowledge that both China and Japan are racist towards darker skinned people. Awful people tbh.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Are you on drugs???

Having a tan in the UK is a priority for many white people... not many want to be pastey white coloured its not the Victorian era..

Anyway OP it’s common knowledge that both China and Japan are racist towards darker skinned people. Awful people tbh.

Thats why it says has (past tense).
Original post by mqb2766

Watch black and brown and foreigner in Japan vlogs. I was going to get a TEFL certificate to teach in Japan or China but decided not to because of this virus thing. But while I prepared....i watched the vlogs about foreigners. Even white people go home crying about being left out and discriminated against. That tells you right there how it will be for you.

For anyone going to Japan or south Korea, not so much anywhere else in Asia, prepare to be shared at and alone unless you know the language perfectly OR make a huge social effort, or only befriend and date other foreigners, or only work as a teacher. Everything else will show you how conformist their society is. Even their own people are depressed.
*stared at
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Watch black and brown and foreigner in Japan vlogs. I was going to get a TEFL certificate to teach in Japan or China but decided not to because of this virus thing. But while I prepared....i watched the vlogs about foreigners. Even white people go home crying about being left out and discriminated against. That tells you right there how it will be for you.

For anyone going to Japan or south Korea, not so much anywhere else in Asia, prepare to be shared at and alone unless you know the language perfectly OR make a huge social effort, or only befriend and date other foreigners, or only work as a teacher. Everything else will show you how conformist their society is. Even their own people are depressed.

Dude I am from Asia! In the place where I live foreigners are considered with very high hospitality. In my place we had foreigners too.. So you can't say anywhere in Asia. Lol.
I am not trying to be rude but I just wanted to raise my opinion. Sorry if it sounds rude!
Original post by Halfeti Rose
Dude I am from Asia! In the place where I live foreigners are considered with very high hospitality. In my place we had foreigners too.. So you can't say anywhere in Asia. Lol.
I am not trying to be rude but I just wanted to raise my opinion. Sorry if it sounds rude!

can you read?

I specifically said JAPAN AND SOUTH KOREA, AND NOT SO MUCH ANYWHERE ELSE IN ASIA.

tf. And the country you're from I'm sure you wouldn't fit in, in Japan.
can you read?

I specifically said JAPAN AND SOUTH KOREA, AND NOT SO MUCH ANYWHERE ELSE IN ASIA.

tf. And the country you're from I'm sure you wouldn't fit in, in Japan.

oops sry I didn't notice that! forgive me!
(edited 3 years ago)
In a nicer tone to the person who just commented, I'm sure my point was clearly about Japan and south Korea. As Japan is what the thread is about....and south Korea is very much like Japan more than any other country. Even China is more heterogeneous and socially expressive.
In a nicer tone to the person who just commented, I'm sure my point was clearly about Japan and south Korea. As Japan is what the thread is about....and south Korea is very much like Japan more than any other country. Even China is more heterogeneous and socially expressive.

LOL! I am really sorry. I didn't read ur message properly it was my fault. :redface:
Just give it a rest
oops sry I didn't notice that! forgive me!

LOL! I am really sorry. I didn't read ur message properly it was my fault. :redface:

don't say sorry just don't..misquote me.
Original post by mqb2766
Thats why it says has (past tense).

Im not talking to you...

Quick Reply

Latest