The Student Room Group

Too late to choose law?

Hey guys I’m in year 12 right now (so yh May now)

I was fixed upon doing Biology at uni, but now I am considering Law.

Is it too late for me to consider?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randomquestion

Hey There,

Like you, I am in Year 12. I don't think it is too late for you to consider doing Law. You've got a long time to do your personal statement and prepare for the LNAT.
What subjects do you do?
Absolutely not. You have time to change your personal statement. Do a lot of reading and watch some uni lectures about law as well to help your personal statement.

It’s all about the personal statement so whilst you might not have the work experience show your interest through books, articles and online lectures (some can be found on university archives)

Also prepare for the LNAT
Original post by proudmonkey
Hey There,

Like you, I am in Year 12. I don't think it is too late for you to consider doing Law. You've got a long time to do your personal statement and prepare for the LNAT.
What subjects do you do?

Biology Psychology and Maths
Biology Psychology and Maths

What makes you interested in studying law?
Original post by onyi anita
Absolutely not. You have time to change your personal statement. Do a lot of reading and watch some uni lectures about law as well to help your personal statement.

It’s all about the personal statement so whilst you might not have the work experience show your interest through books, articles and online lectures (some can be found on university archives)

Also prepare for the LNAT

Would I be able to do work experience in the October half term,
Prior to sending my
Personal statement off?
Prior to sending my
Personal statement off?

If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, then the answer is no because the date for submitting applications is 15th October. But any other uni, you would be ok to do work experience in the half term.
If you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge, then the answer is no because the date for submitting applications is 15th October. But any other uni, you would be ok to do work experience in the half term.

I do not think I will apply to Oxbridge, therefore I think I will be able to find some work experience by then (is this a good choice)

Also is Biology, Maths and Psychology a good subject combination for law?
I do not think I will apply to Oxbridge, therefore I think I will be able to find some work experience by then (is this a good choice)

Also is Biology, Maths and Psychology a good subject combination for law?

Some uni's will ask for an essay subject like history of eng lit. However, others will not really be bothered as long as you get decent grades in those subjects.
Which uni's are u thinking of applying to?
Some uni's will ask for an essay subject like history of eng lit. However, others will not really be bothered as long as you get decent grades in those subjects.
Which uni's are u thinking of applying to?

UCL, LSE, KCL, Warwick and Birmingham

Is Psychology an essay based subject?
Prior to sending my
Personal statement off?

In my honest opinion, I think that’s a bit risky. I know the LNAT is around October so you may want to focus on that. Also law school can be quite competitive so you might want to get your application in as early as possible. HOWEVER, it’s not a completely bad idea if you feel like you really need work experience. You can always write about the work experience you already have and talk about the skills you gained from it
Reply 11

I’m a first year nursing student and I have decided to make a late application to study law. It’s never to late to change your mind, I would just do what ever you want to do.
In my honest opinion, I think that’s a bit risky. I know the LNAT is around October so you may want to focus on that. Also law school can be quite competitive so you might want to get your application in as early as possible. HOWEVER, it’s not a completely bad idea if you feel like you really need work experience. You can always write about the work experience you already have and talk about the skills you gained from it

Are applications looked at on a firdt come first served basis?
Are applications looked at on a firdt come first served basis?

No. It’s based on merit
No it’s never too late for you to consider. You can use this time to see if Law really is for you.
Prior to sending my
Personal statement off?

You don’t need work experience for a law degree so don’t worry about work experience

LNAT registration is by August and exams actually begin September OP needs to do it before January 15th so OP will be fine. Although it is competitive, OP doesn’t need to get in their application as early as possible - it’s all considered equal before January 15th. Op doesn’t need work experience for law

Not true, LNAT starts in October and runs well until after January. There's not one date.

You also don't need to spend months and months preparing anyway.

And getting your application done quickly provides zero advantage. The only university for Law that prefers candidates to submit applications/do the LNAT earlier is KCL, and they just say they prefer candidates to do it by mid-December.

OP: Work experience is also really not necessary. Obviously if it's a really good opportunity (as opposed to dull photocopying) and if you really want to/you can link it in nicely with your PS, go for it.

Your A-Level subjects imo should be fine, psychology should count as an essay subject I think? LSE rejected a few people this year for having only science (Bio, Chem and Maths) subjects but I think psych should be okay.

If you want LNAT advice, PM me.
In my school we got it out of the way early. It was compulsory to do it in October
In my school we got it out of the way early. It was compulsory to do it in October

Your school holds the LNAT exam?
They also can't force you to do it in October, you could've complained, there's no reason for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending