The Student Room Group

Which university should I pick?? (What factors should I prioritise?)

In asking this question, I hope to see what others think of my dilemma, so I will explain it as accurately as I can.

So, I have two main options for my university choices next year: Oxford or Panthéon-Assas II (I want to study law).

Let's start with my first option: Oxford. Everyone knows this school. It's beautiful, the best university in the world, the Law course is extremely advanced and studying there basically guarantees me a job. On the downside, it is A LOT of work, I have to be very passionate about my subject (which I can't say that I am), and on top of this, I have always, since my childhood, wanted to study abroad. I am pretty restless and so I know for a fact that I won't enjoy studying here, (I know myself before you try to debate this), but at the end of the day, is the educational benefit too good to overlook?
Overall, from an educational perspective, Oxford is the best choice.

However, Panthéon-Assas is also a good university for law and has a good reputation in France. Although it is not as good as Oxford on an educational level, it is still a great place to study. What attracts me to this university, above all, is the setting. Paris is my favourite city in the world, and I would love to have my own apartment. I love French culture and I can't really describe my love for Paris in such a short space, but it is intense!
Also, studying here is virtually free.

So there you go. My two options. One is educationally superior, and the other is culturally and financially superior. What do you think :smile:
What is your end goal?
Reply 2
Original post by Wick3d
What is your end goal?

That's a very philosophical question ahah!
In short, I want to be a lawyer, but I'm not too bothered about becoming incredibly rich or anything, I just love the idea of the job itself.
I'd like to explore the world also, and basically live in the moment.
On one hand, surely living in the moment and travelling the world would point to Paris.
But if I want to get a job as a lawyer (and then have enough money to travel the world etc), then Oxford.
And that brings me back to the dilemma :frown:
Oxford
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Oxford

Thanks for the reply :smile:
Law will require a ton of work for both courses. The only real deciding point is a financial one; if you can afford it, absolutely go to Oxford and you can always go to Paris (or other places) later. It's just that much more competitive an offer + the tutorials teaching experience, as opposed to only large amphitheatres at Assas.
Reply 6
Original post by Federer11
Law will require a ton of work for both courses. The only real deciding point is a financial one; if you can afford it, absolutely go to Oxford and you can always go to Paris (or other places) later. It's just that much more competitive an offer + the tutorials teaching experience, as opposed to only large amphitheatres at Assas.

That is very true. And yeah I've heard that Assas (and other French universities) aren't very interactive with their students.
Regarding the financial point, I can technically afford Oxford through student loans, but then I ask myself the question of whether I want to be indebted before I even begin working.

Quick Reply

Latest