The Student Room Group

I want to go abroad for uni but also do a work placement, help!

I want to do a masters in chemistry, however I want to be able to go abroad ( preferably Asia, first choice would be japan), on the other hand I definitely also want to do a work placement for a year.

Not many unis offer both without adding a year to your studies, do you guys know of any unis that do ? Which would seems more important if I do have to sacrifice ?

I saw that uni of Southampton those a year of research abroad and that has caught my eye but I want to have more options, if anyone could help me out I would really really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by Jassie03
I want to do a masters in chemistry, however I want to be able to go abroad ( preferably Asia, first choice would be japan), on the other hand I definitely also want to do a work placement for a year.

Not many unis offer both without adding a year to your studies, do you guys know of any unis that do ? Which would seems more important if I do have to sacrifice ?

I saw that uni of Southampton those a year of research abroad and that has caught my eye but I want to have more options, if anyone could help me out I would really really appreciate it :smile:

Are you looking to a work placement/go abroad during your masters, or during your undergraduate degree?
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Are you looking to a work placement/go abroad during your masters, or during your undergraduate degree?

I plan to do it during my undergraduate degree
I plan to do it during my undergraduate degree

Can you get a work placement abroad? You'd have the best of both worlds, and not miss out of one of the options.

Almost all degrees with a year abroad/placement year are four years AFAIK.
Reply 4
Can you get a work placement abroad? You'd have the best of both worlds, and not miss out of one of the options.

Almost all degrees with a year abroad/placement year are four years AFAIK.

I would love that but most unis don't seem to offer it
I would love that but most unis don't seem to offer it

I think you'd need to take the initiative to organise it - so if your course has a work placement year, you'd find the placement yourself and get the university's approval.
Reply 6
I think you'd need to take the initiative to organise it - so if your course has a work placement year, you'd find the placement yourself and get the university's approval.

Would you think it's possible to do it abroad then?
Would you think it's possible to do it abroad then?

Yes, I have quite a few friends who found their own work placements in Germany, the USA, Canada... I think their universities encouraged them to pick a company that also had a UK branch just in case going overseas fell through, but otherwise they all had great experiences.
I think it would be possible to do it abroad. People studying languages often do work placements abroad (commonly teaching or translating, but lots of other jobs too). They have to arrange the placement themselves, and you would to. You could email unis you're interested in to see if they allow this.

Your main difficulty might be the language. If you don't speak any other languages, you'll be limited to English-speaking workplaces, which are hard to find in some countries and industries.
Reply 9
Original post by KittyN
I think it would be possible to do it abroad. People studying languages often do work placements abroad (commonly teaching or translating, but lots of other jobs too). They have to arrange the placement themselves, and you would to. You could email unis you're interested in to see if they allow this.

Your main difficulty might be the language. If you don't speak any other languages, you'll be limited to English-speaking workplaces, which are hard to find in some countries and industries.

Unfortunately I only speak English and czech ( not a major language ), but I hope that won’t hold me back. It’s great to see it’s actually possible and I’ll definitely will be getting in tough with unis. Is it best I contact the head of department ?
Reply 10
Yes, I have quite a few friends who found their own work placements in Germany, the USA, Canada... I think their universities encouraged them to pick a company that also had a UK branch just in case going overseas fell through, but otherwise they all had great experiences.

Thank you for responding! This gives me a lot of more insight :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending